What future is there for a solo guitarist?

electrotar

• Members

So I am introverted guy. Being with people is usually stress or akward.

I enjoy playing guitar alone. I even prefer using backing tracks online or making some rather than jamming with ''real humans''.

But apart from making music and enjoying myself alone in my bedroom what can this ulitmatley lead to?

Off course Id love to make money from guitar and make albums and stuff but I guess it would be ''instrumental''?

maybe stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRRuXqYbgE

and if you play this molotov telegram song

http://www.myspace.com/tommyguerrero/music/songs/molotov-telegram-79195299

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxGE2qbj7A&feature=related

I also like to mess with synths and electronic music and combine it with guitar like kasabian but once again alone not with others. I find working with others in most aspects of life impedes and hinders me.

Whats your thoughts on this as someone learning to improve guitar and wanting to make a future out off it?

• Members

It will be difficult to nearly impossible to make a viable living in the music industry if you are unwilling to work with others. Furthermore, the music industry places higher emphasis on looks than talent. Your chances of making it go up if you look like Brad Pitt. I assume you are young. I suggest that you get a music degree at a college with a strong music program or go to a music school. This will give you more options to pursue music as a career in the future. Otherwise, you can plan on music being a life long hobby.

• Members
It will be difficult to nearly impossible to make a viable living in the music industry if you are unwilling to work with others. Furthermore, the music industry places higher emphasis on looks than talent. Your chances of making it go up if you look like Brad Pitt. I assume you are young. I suggest that you get a music degree at a college with a strong music program or go to a music school. This will give you more options to pursue music as a career in the future. Otherwise, you can plan on music being a life long hobby.

Well I look like a musician and boy band type (poeple always ask if im in a band,play music etc?) so well based on my looks right now thats not a problem. I could make a silly jonas bros or justin beiber type thing and be famous with lots of little girls buying my cds however musically that is not me at all.

I look like this

tumblr_l9u587lVPv1qca3wuo1_500.jpg

Like that Tommy Guerrero song was real cool and he done it all himself im sure but then again hes not really famous musician. i think he was in a band and was a skateboarder so he progressed to solo artist as many do.

Justin Beber was solo artist? I dont know anything about him at all tbh just what he looks like and he sing pop song type stuff.

I also like to play lead blues. Can one get jobs in bars and stuff just playing blues along with a band? i coudl do that? maybe cover band to i play lead

• Members

Making a living as a musician is an incredibly satisfying way to make a living. From what I've seen, making it happen requires two things:

-Be really good at what you do.

-Be a nice person.

If those things are in place, and what you do happens to be in-demand, success will be spontaneous. If not, then you have your work cut out.

I suggest working on these things:

-Learn to play your instrument well. If you can play something without having to explain it first, you're on the right path.

-Anything you can do that builds character is probably good.

-Initiative. Put yourself out there!

The bad news: It's ten times more work than most people realize.

The good news: It's a blast!

• Members

-Be a nice person.

!

mmm thats 1 thing im not sure about...many famous people seemto have some attitue or bad boy image or diva act etc....I dont think being nice gets anyone anywhere fromwhat I have seen in my adult life so far. Not just muscially!! In fact I notice recently the nicer i act the more people try to take adavantage and use me. So I act like tough guy and actually people back off and show respect or even fear. I prefer that.

''Learn to play your instrument well. If you can play something without having to explain it first, you're on the right path.''

what does this mean?

• Members

mmm thats 1 thing im not sure about...many famous people seemto have some attitue or bad boy image or diva act etc....I dont think being nice gets anyone anywhere fromwhat I have seen in my adult life so far. Not just muscially!! In fact I notice recently the nicer i act the more people try to take adavantage and use me. So I act like tough guy and actually people back off and show respect or even fear. I prefer that.

''Learn to play your instrument well.
If you can play something without having to explain it first
, you're on the right path.''

what does this mean?

I could be wrong. Maybe doing the "bad-ass" thing works better in some circles, but that hasn't been my experience at all. I can tell you that in the circles I run in, the "bad-ass" dudes don't last long at all because no competent players want to work with them. The best players understand that in order to sound good, you must inspire those around you to do their best too. Hard to do if your bandmates think you're an asshole.

Play without explaining: The next time you play in front of someone, check to see if you need to explain it first before playing. It's a pretty good barometer for how well-prepared you are. If you're really ready, no explanation is needed.

• Members

well its a balcne nice-tough guy. I just mean being overly nice is not good at all. Neither is being a pain in the ass I guess.

Still not sure what you mean. Just like someone says gonna play some E blues. So I just go cool and start jamming in e blues with them.. thats what you mean?

• Members

lol I know I sure hate working with people that aren't nice, so I try not to be the dude that I hate working with. If you want to play some cool stuff, you'll need some good players up there backing you up.

Play without explaining; It means be ready. End of story. You'll know if you aren't and so'll your audience. In my experience anyways... Mind you, I've never had good hair, I just had to rely on lotsa practice, experience and schooling. Maybe I should get a cool haircut, might change everything! hahahaha

• Members

There are a lot of people playing solo gigs with electronic rigs - some being a cellist, violinist, guitarist, or other instrumentalist using the electronics to augment their instrument.

Making money doing that? I'd say Squarepusher makes a good living playing solo gigs with live bass, two laptops, and a mystery rack of gear. He doesn't seem particularly rude to anyone though.

I'm sure Skrillex makes even more than Squarepusher. There you go - make dubstep guitar music, rake in the millions, and live however you want with your riches.

• Members

Having a 'badass attitude' persona may work with the audience. That doesn't mean that you should be an asshole to your band members or the staff working with you. This may apply to other jobs also.

Be responsable, be a good guy, be open; "does this sound good to you? do you have some ideas? do you want to try this the other way around?"; etc. Assholes don't fit in most real life situations. "Do this my way or {censored} yourself" won't get you anywhere.

I believe that if you are good, responsable and have a good relationship with your working crew, then you can show off any attitude you want on stage (at least if you leave it there :D)

• Members

i would never delibarelty be a bad ass to wrok with. However, I just dont like hanging with people much. Playing guitar is something I do alone for fun. Like video games, or watch tv or go to the gym or go for a run.

I guess it will remain like that no matter how good I get. Just a personal hobby.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you really bad-ass at the guitar all around and have a very good grasp of music theory you could easily be a studio musician... they don't make the greatest money but they do make fairely well living... and you won't have to work with people all that directly... it would be a good idea to get a certificate or degree in music/guitar at berklee or something like that... then look for studio work there is always something to find if your willing to work hard enough... but that's about the only job I can think of for a solo guitarist that doesn't want to play public shows or be in a band...

• Members

If you really bad-ass at the guitar all around and have a very good grasp of music theory you could easily be a studio musician... they don't make the greatest money but they do make fairely well living... and you won't have to work with people all that directly... it would be a good idea to get a certificate or degree in music/guitar at berklee or something like that... then look for studio work there is always something to find if your willing to work hard enough... but that's about the only job I can think of for a solo guitarist that doesn't want to play public shows or be in a band...

Yes. It's possible to do a lot of studio work at home while just emailing the tracks out. In fact there a couple of websites that are set up to facilitate that: groovezoo.com and esession.com to name a couple.

Having said that, part of the process is figuring out what the really client wants and being able to deliver that. People skills can be very valuable there.

• Members

Making a living as a musician is an incredibly satisfying way to make a living. From what I've seen, making it happen requires two things:

-Be really good at what you do.

-Be a
good
person.

The bad news: It's
fifty
times more work than most people realize.

The good news: It's a blast!

Fix'd for personal preference.

Dunno bout you Jon, but I've met a lot of folks in the biz who are nice, but once you get past the nice, they are rotten inside. Gotten burned by a few of those.

"Good people. Sho do love good people." Victor Wooten

Hey! How bout "good people who are nice"? I like that one best.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
So I am introverted guy. Being with people is usually stress or akward.

I enjoy playing guitar alone. I even prefer using backing tracks online or making some rather than jamming with ''real humans''.

But apart from making music and enjoying myself alone in my bedroom what can this ulitmatley lead to?

Off course Id love to make money from guitar and make albums and stuff but I guess it would be ''instrumental''?

maybe stuff like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRRuXqYbgE

and if you play this molotov telegram song

http://www.myspace.com/tommyguerrero/music/songs/molotov-telegram-79195299

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKxGE2qbj7A&feature=related

I also like to mess with synths and electronic music and combine it with guitar like kasabian but once again alone not with others. I find working with others in most aspects of life impedes and hinders me.

Whats your thoughts on this as someone learning to improve guitar and wanting to make a future out off it?

You could become a producer or session musician. But even that has something to do with people.

Maybe soundtracks for movies. Regardless, there is still going to be some contact with any person. :)

• Members
You could become a producer or session musician. But even that has something to do with people.

Maybe soundtracks for movies. Regardless, there is still going to be some contact with any person.
:)

Mmmm...Many musical minded people are also either a bit odd or really laid back?

I think working in music industry would be good for me?

Archived