Post of the day !

• Members

"Yeah I gave up on the tone quest in gear when I heard this amazing guitarist playing in DC. I spent the whole show wondering what boutique expensive {censored} he was using, and then afterwards I got up on stage and saw it was a DS-1 into a JC-120. I figured {censored} it, and went home to practice."

This endeth today's lesson.

HTH

• Members

:phil:

Similarly, I was racing a friend on a windsurfer, way back. It was a light breeze, he was beating me as if I had an anchor out. I said to him "yea, but you have that light weather sail". He said "lets swap". So we swapped boards... and he was beating me like I had an anchor out.

Tone is in the fingers.

GaJ

• Members

He probably sounded good without the DS-1 too. And without the JC-120, come to that.

Practise clean, that's the lesson. Start with a good tone - and then mangle it with FX as much as you want :D.

• Members

Excellent lesson.

A recent story, this will make more sense to anyone who is knowledgeable about 5 string Bluegrass banjos, but its still applies to anything:

I traveled a few hrs Tues to pick with some of my old band mates I hadn't seen in 4 or 5 yrs.

One guy has always been a great banjo player, with some really nice banjos. Top end Gibson Granada, a Pre-War Mastertone pot/Frank Neat neck, and a few more. Always playing the best stuff that costs $3000 and up for the last 20 yrs.

Tues night he sounded as good or better than ever.

He was playing a used, Chinese, Recording King Gibson copy Banjo he bought for $400, with NO tone ring.

He said his back was getting all messed up playing those 12lb Mastertones, so he got this cheap Gibson copy and removed the tone ring, just beveled the 3 ring maple pot & slapped a head on there with a good bridge and set it up right. Now its a 7lb banjo and no more chiropractors or orthopedics.

Damn thing sounded like a pre-war Mastertone.

Its the player not the gear for the most part. Take basic gear, set it up properly, and play it with athority and its gonna sound good.

• Members

John Suhr:

"The descriptions of tone are very subjective and can be misleading. Let's consider the primary tone generator! Many people don't want to hear it but it is very true: it is your hands... I was never as so convinced as one day listening to Eddie Van Halen record at his studio. The sound was fat, articulate and every bit his signature tone. When I looked to see what he was playing I was stupefied to see a headless, woodless Steinberger. Not only that but when I checked out the guitar later, the strings were very rusty."

IMHO a big part of the gear equation is knowing how to use your gear. You need good ears for that, and need to know what you're listening for. It's not that you have guitar/amp/pedal X, plug in and go (although that can happen of course). It's knowing how do set the EQ and other parameters to give you the exact tone you want. You have to know what you want first, though.

• Members

For almost all of my thirty years, I haven't practiced plugged into

anything. The exception being when I'm working out tunes, or working

on sounds.

You gotta play plugged in! The amp is part of the instrument. With variances in how amps respond to your playing, it's important to have that as an audible reference.

Archived