Tool to help drill all the notes on the fretboard

• Members

I am working on drilling in all of the notes on the fretboard (again). This time I wrote this handy tool: http://randomnaturalnotes.com

Do either one string at a time, a span of frets, or the whole fretboard. Whenever a note pops up, find all of them and then move onto the next one.

It's nothing fancy, but I couldn't find anything like it for the iPhone/iPad.

• Members

I suggest the best way may be to learn intervals, really well. And understand them.

This is what I do, and it works quite well when playing in odd keys, OR, switching quickly between scales over chords. See?

Instead of identifying the note name, you are qualifying it in relation to the key/scale.

This also makes it easy and intuitive to briefly change scales, without completely changing your fingering or neck position.

For instance, Clapton's crossroads solo. He bounces between maj/minor pent scales, quite masterfully, often without changing hand position.

So your friendly A minor pent scale 5th position can suddenly become A MAJOR PENT, without changing hand position.

In this, you will begin to see the major/minor notes in this "box", and the intervals appear, AWA the key notes(roots, 5ths).

If that makes no sense, I'm sorry, but learn your intervals!!!!!!!!

• Members

I like the randomness of this. You can get into a rut sometimes just cycling through fourths, fifths or half steps.

Having said that, you may have noticed your random notes generator needs some fine tuning. Going through about 20 runs, I landed on E Natural 7 times and never generated C Natural once. Also the point that others have mentioned which is there are no accidentals in your population. For me, those take the longest to locate on the fretboard. So I would not only want to include them, I might put in an option to give extra weight to how often notes with accidentals are selected.

Work out those kinks and I think you'd have an app that would generate some interest from guitar players :thu:

Thanks for sharing

• Members

Accidentals are definitely on the way. The randomness is at the mercy of Javascript, but I can find other ways to do it. Forcing a more even distribution is certainly an option.

Now back to my top-secret guitar-lair!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived