low cost midi sound module ?

daku

• Members

I home made a pedal board that uses a pod xt/floorboard express and a boss looper/and switches to toggle through the mem locations

I would like to include the Sonuus G2M and an A/B switch but am looking for some sound module recomendations,

I don't want to use my home computers virtual instruments because I am looking to save real estate on the floor board (unless I can load them onto something that I can mount on floor board

cost is always a factor in my world

I am hoping to play some strings, or use a tuba for an oompa type bass line, trumpet for some mariachi type stuff so foot switching is desirable ( but not absolutely nessesary

these are newbie questions and appreciate any help on moving into this interesting direction

• Members

They are a bit stale - but any Roland Sound Canvas, PMA-5, Yamaha MU-80, all have a relatively small form factor, and support OMNI Mode - required for responding to individual Pitch Bend info - should you get a real Guitar to MIDI convertor ( Axon, GI-20)down the road.

• Members

Several companies used to make inexpensive, consumer-oriented MIDI tone modules. One option is Edirol's SD-20 although it's designed to be used with a computer. For stand-alones, hit eBay - Yamaha's MU128 XG sounds like it's just what you want. It's cheap, cheerful, and doesn't need a computer for operation. Also check out the MU-15.

If you're willing to move closer to $1K, there are some great rack modules. One that also seems ideal is Roland's SonicCell module but it will run you about $900.

Elantric's comments are spot-on as well. Synths with a Legato mode are also ideal if you get a full-blown MIDI guitar converter - I found Yamaha's TX81Z, while limited to four-operator FM, to be perfect for use with polyphonic guitar synthesis.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I was also going to suggest a Roland SonicCell if you can swing it. You sometimes see them for a little over $700 new on Ebay and cheaper used. The cool thing is it sounds good, works as a computer audio interface, will play MIDI or audio files from a memory card, and lets you plug in a mic or guitar to your computer. That makes for a very handy all in one box for a laptop.

Archived