Let's talk impulses...

Super Bass

• Members

So, I've been playing around with using impulse response files in recording recently and am getting some interesting sounds. My favourite still have to be the original three Andy Sneap IR's... along with the Wagner Sharp V0.7 amp sim (not mad on V2). I usually use Voxengo Boogex to load the IR's.

What are you guys using? Any clips... recommendations for settings... homemade IR's?

:snax:

• Members

ReValver loads cab impulses. Really great sounds, but hits the CPU hard.

I know there are some sites with free impulses on the net, but haven't had a chance to find them/check them out.

I wonder if anyone has an impulse of an acoustic guitar body that you could apply to an electric guitar?

• Members

An impulse response works something like this:

input*impulse -> output

That * stands for convolution (mathematical operation). So to find the impulse response of an acoustic guitar (or anything else), you would need to know the input and output. This is tricky since the input to the acoustic is not an electrical signal. It might be possible to use a piezo or optical pickup plus a mic to make an impulse response, and then use a piezo on the electric guitar, but I don't think it would work as well as speaker simulation.

• Members

I like the Revalver impulses of the Greenback 30's..I downloaded the demo of Revalver and made a couple impulses of them..sound pretty good loaded up in Boogex.My favorite 3 free modelers as of now are the Wagner Sharp II(Bogner),Poulin(Soldano), and Nick Crow's 8505(Peavey 6505)..

• Members

I wonder if anyone has an impulse of an acoustic guitar body that you could apply to an electric guitar?

I have a few of them. I haven't had a chance to check 'em out yet though.

I can send them to you if you want? I don't know the link where I got them. :idk:

• Members

I personally like the guitarhack impulses. They're probably the best impulses i've heard, as most other impulses have either a serious lack of high treble frequencies, or sound roomy and phasey.

The excalibur ones are pretty good too, but kinda bright.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Just writing stuff now but using Tube Guitar Preamps( ADA and H@K )into the impulses and efx of a Pod XT ( Amp modeling " off" " no amp " setting).

Sounds so good that I'm wondering if cab impulses in Axe Fx or software would be much better.

That would be very cool-problem is very few use tube Guitar gear into Cab Impulses- when I start actually recording with a ( ugh! ) computer rig or preferably a simple 24 bit hardware piece with external converters I'll post some stuff.

Archived