My "Electronic Guitar" Column Has Returned to Guitar Player magazine

Anderton

• Members

In an amazing lack of attention to self-promotional opportunities :), I don't think I've mentioned that starting with the August 2009 issue of Guitar Player magazine, my Electronic Guitar column is returning after something like a 20-year hiatus. This time it's not about do-it-yourself projects, but about high-tech guitar subjects. Hope you enjoy it!

• Members

I'll take a look at that for sure, very cool... I am getting a feeling that you feel a sort of sea-change coming for how people perceive software solutions. I feel the pulse a bit myself; the sound is starting to really turn some heads, and with bigger acts coming on board (e.g. AC/DC with Black Ice and Amplitube 2, John McLaughlin with Amplitube 2, Dweezil Zappa replacing his touring rig first with Guitar Rig 3 and now with an AxeFX, and many more) - plus guys like me in the trenches advocating for the new tech - it's just a matter of time, and perhaps not much at that. Thanks for doing more to increase the visibility of stuff. Now just plug my blog and you'll be all set :lol:

• Members

hey! great

FWIW - that column was the first thing I'd turn to in the old mag (I really liked that era of GP) -- even if I wasn't intending on applying it, I though it was a great read

I completely understand the shift of focus and I think it fits the times

• Members

...AC/DC with Black Ice and Amplitube 2...

Wow! I had to do a quick Google search to confirm. Very cool. Seemlessly integrates into the other tracks. I never in a million years would have guessed amp modeling was used on those 2 tracks...

• Members

Excellent news!

The other thing that seems to be happening is that as imposing and nice as a stack of amplifiers can be visually:

I'm really tired of lugging giant amplifiers, rack cases and other HEAVY items around. I don't gig much anymore but when I do it seems to get worse

every year with the STUFF you have to lug.

I'm ready to do things the easy way now and believe me a VG99 weighs a heck of a lot less than a JC120 or a rack case with a Mesa Studio preamp

with two rack effects in there.

• Members

Excellent news!

The other thing that seems to be happening is that as imposing and nice as a stack of amplifiers can be visually:

I'm really tired of lugging giant amplifiers, rack cases and other HEAVY items around. I don't gig much anymore but when I do it seems to get worse

every year with the STUFF you have to lug.

I'm ready to do things the easy way now and believe me a VG99 weighs a heck of a lot less than a JC120 or a rack case with a Mesa Studio preamp

with two rack effects in there.

Amen to that!

Since I got my VG-99 I don't have to lug heavy amps up and down the stairs. I can go to a gig or recording session with just the VG, an expression pedal, and GK-equipped guitar. Plus, by plugging into the PA I get stereo, and it sounds amazing.

Looking forward to Craig's new column!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Congrats. I just picked up an issue today with the intention of subscribing. I had been away from guitar for over 25 years. Now I'm learning how to play all over again. Being a true lover of synths I like the tech side of guitar.

• Members

I bought three issues of Guitar Player recently. One because of Anderton's announcement. Another because somebody posted a heads up about the article on playing "Naima" on solo guitar. The third because I was looking for the other two and it happened to have something interesting too.

Archived