Variax... transplanted.

BlackHatHunter

• Members

[i posted it under the regular electric guitar forum, but was advised to post it here...]

I had a Variax, but it felt like crap, which is why I got rid of it. I hope that transplanting the guts of it into a cool Warmoth setup will erase that issue. Could be a fun tool with which to record. I also have a quick gig coming up, so I am hoping that it will be a versatile stage guitfiddle to bring along...

DSC001.jpg

DSC002.jpg

DSC024.jpg

DSC014.jpg

DSC018.jpg

DSC026.jpg

• Members

Whoa, I'd love to have something like that - is the covered output jack a 13-pin output for a Roland VG or GR system by any chance?

Then doubly so.

Did Warmoth build this for you or did you use Warmoth to build it yourself?

Honestly it looks like a totally pro job.

Did you have to supply them with the variax guts or did they supply them?

Lastly but not leastly the painful question: how much approximately did

that beauty set you back?

I'd love to have a special custom guitar with standard magnetic pickups,

GK3 installed internally, and all myself.

It looks stunning I have to admit. Hows does it sound?

• Members

Whoa, I'd love to have something like that - is the covered output jack a 13-pin output for a Roland VG or GR system by any chance?

Then doubly so.

No luck here - it's the Variax Digital Output, which is essentially a RJ-45 connector and designed to work with Variax Workbench and other Line 6 devices that are equipped with Variax connectors. It's super handy because you can control your guitar settings from your POD X3, XT Live or Vetta, too.

I bought the interface card for my original Vetta expressly for that purpose.

Oh, and the port powers the Variax, too... so no more batteries or switch box.

Brian V.

• Members

I bought it already like that. Some guy had it built by a pretty famous luthier. It's neat, but that neck is way too thin for me. Then again, I like them baseball bat ones, and this is a regular standard "C".

It sounds pretty cool, actually. Played with it tonight - had to borrow a Variax cable from a buddy, the seller forgot to include it.

Bottom line: very cool, but if I keep it, I'll have to buy a new neck.

• Members

Well, first impressions after spending a fair amount of time with it:

1. The tones are as cool as I remembered them to be.

2. The quality of the Warmoth body and neck is superb

3. I am more than even convinced of the concept of taking the Variax guts and implanting them into a Warmoth "shell"

4. If I keep it, I will have to change the neck - the standard Warmoth shape is too thin for me.

5. ... which is too bad, because the figure on the fretboard is even better in person than in the pics.

• Members

I wonder if there are other neck shapes that Warmoth could put together for you in a neck?

You could always sell that neck if that one doesn't do it for you and if there are thicker shapes available you could go for that.

Yeah, that really looks amazing. Gorgeous guitar all by itself.

What are the stock pickups? Do you know? They look like EMGs but I don't see a logo anywhere - they could be anything.

• Members

Where did you get the Vetta interface? I could use one.

I bought mine back when the Vetta II just came out, back when Line 6 had a bunch of them in stock. I'd have no idea where to find one these days...ask around over at the Line 6 forum - their employees participate there pretty heavily.

Brian V.

• Members
It's a quilt maple top. I think it's a tiger eye finish. And she's "out for delivery" as we speak so I should receive her this morning. Can't wait
:)

who put it together for you and how much did you pay?

(not to be rude sounding, but im thinking of doing another one)

Archived