Using the Behringer FCB1010 w/ the Digitech GSP1101...

Metalman X

• Members

Looks like this might be the forum to ask....

So, I got a Digitech GSP1101 w/ the latest MustbeBeta Firmware installed, and I got a Behringer MIDI controller w/ Behringers 2.5 something firmware.

So far, switching patches and all, works great, right outta the box. but I just cant get the expressions pedals to do anything yet.

So, hopefully someone here knows how to get these to jive.

Heres what I set-up all the patches on the FCB1010 to look like...so correct me if somethings wrong:

screenshot1010.jpg

And heres what i'm sure it should look like for me to, in this case, link one of the pedals to control volume on the GSP1101:

screenshot1101.jpg

So.....where did i screw up?

Any help is much appreciated. :thu:

• Members

First make sure the FCB is setup to receive incoming sysex. You can do this manually on the unit itself. Look up the procedure in the manual. Also I find it necessary to switch to a different preset then back to the one you loaded before it sends the correct messages. You should see the LED on the unit flash while being loaded with new presets.

If the GSP1101 is still not responsive you can make sure where the problem lies if you view the messages being sent from the FCB with a program like MIDI-Ox. There is another program for editing the FCB that is java based and has a built in midi-monitor so you can see what the pedal is actually doing. I forget the name of it at the moment. Should be in the files section of the yahoo user group.

One little thing I noticed in your picture is that you are sending two, one shot cc messages along with your pc message. Turn those off, reload the preset and see if that has an affect. Those could be screwing with the 1101.

You should consider getting the UnO firmware chip. It makes the unit function more like a modern floor based processor. That is, you can set either the top or bottom row to simply turn effects on or off without changing the preset in the pedal or the processor. One really cool feature is that you can remain within a given preset on the FCB while changing the CC# the foot controllers send by pressing a button in the "stomp-box" row. On a particular preset I programmed mine to switch one of the foot pedals between wah and delay time while leaving the other one to control volume. Pretty handy.

• Members

First make sure the FCB is setup to receive incoming sysex. You can do this manually on the unit itself. Look up the procedure in the manual. Also I find it necessary to switch to a different preset then back to the one you loaded before it sends the correct messages. You should see the LED on the unit flash while being loaded with new presets.

If the GSP1101 is still not responsive you can make sure where the problem lies if you view the messages being sent from the FCB with a program like MIDI-Ox. There is another program for editing the FCB that is java based and has a built in midi-monitor so you can see what the pedal is actually doing. I forget the name of it at the moment. Should be in the files section of the yahoo user group.

One little thing I noticed in your picture is that you are sending two, one shot cc messages along with your pc message. Turn those off, reload the preset and see if that has an affect. Those could be screwing with the 1101.

You should consider getting the UnO firmware chip. It makes the unit function more like a modern floor based processor. That is, you can set either the top or bottom row to simply turn effects on or off without changing the preset in the pedal or the processor. One really cool feature is that you can remain within a given preset on the FCB while changing the CC# the foot controllers send by pressing a button in the "stomp-box" row. On a particular preset I programmed mine to switch one of the foot pedals between wah and delay time while leaving the other one to control volume. Pretty handy.

Cool! I'll give some of this a try, thanx!

One question....if I don't really need the "stombox" feature for the one row, is it still worth getting the UnO Firmware?

• Members

Did you check the messages being sent by the fcb? That's really the only way to know for sure where the problem lies. download either midi ox or the other fcb programmer and look at what messages are coming from the fcb when the desired preset button is pressed.

The UnO upgrade would not be necessary if you don't want the stompbox features.

• Members

Did you check the messages being sent by the fcb? That's really the only way to know for sure where the problem lies. download either midi ox or the other fcb programmer and look at what messages are coming from the fcb when the desired preset button is pressed.

The UnO upgrade would not be necessary if you don't want the stompbox features

Good to onkow. Cuz I really didn't wanna have to go through the hassle of replacing the chip. Could do it, if i HAD to....but i really didn't want to be bothered.

As for the above suggestion....I've gotta try that yet. Someone else suggested it as well, and I need to do so. It's about the only thing I HAVEN'T tried yet.

• Members

Well, I tried hooking up the FCB1010 to my PC and monitoring it via MIDI OX. Seems that when I move the Expression pedals, nothing happens, but when I press any of the patch buttons it's registering incoming data.

Now, the red lights over the Exp. Pedals on the FCB1010 are lit, indicating they are activated, and I have the Min. value for both set to 0, and Max. set to 127. So....anybody got any ideas?

Maybe they ARE working, and I'm not seeing it on MIDI Ox due to having set something in that wrong (I just downloaded it now, for the purpose of checking into this, and admit I'm not 100% what I'm doing with it).

Or maybe....more likely...I've still got something set incorrectly in the FCB1010.

• Members

Midi OX does have filtering capabilities but they shouldn't be setup on a fresh install so that leads me to believe there could be something wrong with the pedals. Have you tried programming them manually?

Hmmmm...weird.

And yes, I've tried doing them manually. Also with the PC Editor. I'm pretty much at a loss here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

nope...I'v even tried recalibrating, and that didnt work. I'm beginning to think their defective, or somethings up w/ the EPROM
:mad:

I spent close to 3 hours trying to get them to work last night. I even performed a factory reset on both.

I have no problem selecting any preset number (in fact, after the reset, this worked perfectly), but I just can't figure out how to make the expression pedals work. It doesn't help that the GSP's menu's are rather ambiguous. I can't tell if "expression pedal" refers to any MIDI controller, or only those that are specifically plugged into the expression jack on the back.

I may purchase an EPROM. I have a really old version (I bought it 5 years ago used, so I think it's 2.0). There is a guy that sells the uno chip for $11 shipped.

• Members

I spent close to 3 hours trying to get them to work last night. I even performed a factory reset on both.

I have no problem selecting any preset number (in fact, after the reset, this worked perfectly), but I just can't figure out how to make the expression pedals work. It doesn't help that the GSP's menu's are rather ambiguous. I can't tell if "expression pedal" refers to any MIDI controller, or only those that are specifically plugged into the expression jack on the back.

I may purchase an EPROM. I have a really old version (I bought it 5 years ago used, so I think it's 2.0). There is a guy that sells the uno chip for $11 shipped.

Same situation here. I never had any issues selecting presets or going up and down between banks....just no luck w/ the expression pedals.

And yeah...I wonder about that myself in the GSP's menus.

As for the UNO chip, i may look into that. but only if I can still run 10 presets per bank as opposed to 5, plus 5 effects toggles. i just don't really need all that.

• Members

The UnO chip gives you the option of running in normal mode with 10 preset buttons or 5 preset and 5 toggle (you can pick which row is which).

Try MidiOx again to make sure your unit is not defective. When you first open it the Midi Output window will be visible. Open the Midi Input window. It's the fourth icon from the left. Select you midi input port (go to options, Midi Devices). With the FCB hooked up to your midi port you should be able to see all midi data being sent from the unit when pressing the preset buttons and moving the expression pedals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Make sure that the MIDI channel settings for the pedals are right in the global settings tab.

Also make sure that you have all the patches and banks programmed for the expression pedals to work correctly. You have to select each numbered button and configure it seperately.

And last but not least make sure that the pedals are calibrated properly. If you don't see the MIDI data as you move the pedals you aren't doing it right. I messed it up the first time I tried it and this will definitely cause them to not work.

And

• Members

Here's how it looks in mine. I'm using the Digitech Control 2 board which connects via ethernet cable, however, what was odd was that the first selection was "Cntrlr 1(EXP PDL)" but the one I needed to use was the second selection, "Cntrlr 2(FC PDL1)".

Xedit01.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived