Amp/Stombox models through an Acoustic combo. How would this sound?

kit_strong

• Members

So from what I gather you are better off running amp models and such through a full range speaker vs a guitar amp.

So just as the title states, my question is how would amp models and such sound through an Acoustic Guitar combo? I kind of need an acoustic amp anyway so this could possibly kill 2 birds with 1 stone but I have no experience with acoustic amps and don't know if they color the sound much.

So what's the verdict, would an acoustic amp give me a decent sound with a modeling unit (in this case I'd be playing through Garage Band and outputting via my Apogee GIO).

Thanks,

Kit

• Members

Acoustic amps normally have a full range sound including more highs and lows to capture an acoustic much like a PA cab does. You can try a modeler but you're going to have to roll the highs off above 4~5k or it might sound like an ice pick.

• Members

If the Acoustic amp is full range... I could see it working fine. Keyboard amps seem to be the norm. Acoustic amps tend to have a low-end roll off and maybe and upper mid scoop to account for boominess and piezo quack.

But the idea behind the full range amps is that you can leave the speaker simulation on. With a regular guitar amp, you want to turn it off, leaving you at the mercy of the amp. Guitar amps and speakers have major roll-offs and peaked midrange.

• Members

It really depends upon the amp. Keyboard amps, acoustic amps and bass amps will all - on average - be better for a FRFR application than any kind of guitar amp. But they (the non-guitar amps) are not all voiced flat. On average you stand a better chance of getting a neutral representation of the modeler's sound through a quality PA or monitor speaker.

Archived