You Rock midi guitar YRG-1000

Emory

• Members

all I got to say is I did want it but then I realized why get a midi guitar or midi synth pedal when I can play keyboards,keyboards is really simple and when I get a keyboard again I'd be happy to teach you on video how to apply all your guitar knowledge onto keyboard,I'd teach for free I dont charge for lessons M/ guitar and keyboards are my musical weapon of choice I dont need to play other things when I got those 2.

• Members

all I got to say is I did want it but then I realized why get a midi guitar or midi synth pedal when I can play keyboards,keyboards is really simple and when I get a keyboard again I'd be happy to teach you on video how to apply all your guitar knowledge onto keyboard,I'd teach for free I dont charge for lessons M/ guitar and keyboards are my musical weapon of choice I dont need to play other things when I got those 2.

Dude you can KEEP the notion about learning keyboard.

And NO sorry,it is NOT as "easy" as you make it out to be.

Playing keyboards properly takes just as much time as playing guitar properly, THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS!!

A keyboard is a totally different animal than guitar. How fast do you need a guitar controller to be anyway? I have an axon and it does me just fine. No need to learn stupid keyboards, when I am a guitar player after all.

But this post was about the yourock guitar anyway, not learning to play keyboards.

And what may be right or "easy" to YOU..... may not be to someone else! That is why they made guitar controllers in the first place! So guitarists can play MIDI sounds. If they were going to play a keyboard, they certianly would not need a MIDI guitar controller. Different strokes.

• Members

Dude you can KEEP the notion about learning keyboard.

And NO sorry,it is NOT as "easy" as you make it out to be.

Playing keyboards properly takes just as much time as playing guitar properly, THERE ARE NO SHORT CUTS!!

A keyboard is a totally different animal than guitar. How fast do you need a guitar controller to be anyway? I have an axon and it does me just fine. No need to learn stupid keyboards, when I am a guitar player after all.

But this post was about the yourock guitar anyway, not learning to play keyboards.

And what may be right or "easy" to YOU..... may not be to someone else! That is why they made guitar controllers in the first place! So guitarists can play MIDI sounds. If they were going to play a keyboard, they certianly would not need a MIDI guitar controller. Different strokes.

well then I guess the YRG is for him then after all,you make a good point,just a suggestion,i know this place is about Midi guitars but most midi guitars do go into keyboards,softsynth and midi guitar synth pedals,basically your just playing keyboard sounds on a guitar controller

• Members

Just to follow up...it's important to understand that YRG has a lot of adjustable parameters, and it's crucial to set these to accommodate your playing style if you want to get the most out of YRG. You'll only get good results "out of the box" if you're lucky.

At the synth end of things, I use YRG in mono mode, do six instances of the synths, and restrict each one to play only one voice so it acts more like a "real" guitar string. This also improves tracking dramatically. For example, here's a setup I did with Native Instruments' Kontakt 5. Note the MIDI Channel settings and maximum polyphony values.

3ycXo.png

Could you explain this in more detail in 'computer for dummies' type language? I record onto Logic Express. Thanking you in advance for your patience and understanding.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

If you want a MIDI guitar, get the Fishman or Roland. If you want an inexpensive MIDI controller that's accurate, requires minimum cleanup, is polyphonic, and is reasonably-priced, get You Rock Guitar.

I had one here for review and always put it on the back burner because I figured well, it's a toy, it can't be any good...right? Wrong. You can really control MIDI synths very effectively with it (forget the onboard sounds, unless you're in an "80s cheezy music" tribute band).

Is it a guitar? No. Is it a really cost-effective MIDI controller that guitarists can use? Yes.

Just remember you need to tweak synth presets for best results with any MIDI guitar.

Like I said, I've had three, and they're just nowhere near as good as my Roland GI-20 is in terms of accuracy, let alone an Axon. And with the Fishman TriplePlay coming out at $299, It's hard to justify not saving a little longer and getting the FTP for $100 than this thing and actually getting something that's usable and doesn't feel like a toy.

• Members

Like I said, I've had three, and they're just nowhere near as good as my Roland GI-20 is in terms of accuracy, let alone an Axon. And with the Fishman TriplePlay coming out at $299, It's hard to justify not saving a little longer and getting the FTP for $100 than this thing and actually getting something that's usable and doesn't feel like a toy.

+1! Not to mention the new triple play will have 1,000 times the processing power of an axon to correct glitches! At least, that is according to a post on the yahoo MIDI guitar forums by Andreas Seleazy, the creator of the axon.

It will be like a portable axon, only better.

For $299.00... it will be a very hard MIDI guitar product to beat.

WAY better than any you rock controller.

• Members

Any good video you see of this thing always involved tap mode, which does work pretty well. But the minute you want to use the string triggers, it just falls apart. Double triggers, glitching, etc. Just my experience, but
I've had three
, so.....

Damn! At $200 a pop, you spent about $600 on You Rock guitars! Sorry to hear about that...

• Members

Damn! At $200 a pop, you spent about $600 on You Rock guitars! Sorry to hear about that...

Actually I haven't spent anything. The first one was one of the first runs, when they were hard to come by. Made my money back on eBay. Second and third were from places with 30-day return policies.

Why did I buy three? They were all separated by different firmware revisions, and I kept hoping they'd fix the problems, so I kept giving them a shot.

• Members

I bought a Rock Band 3 Wireless Fender Mustang PRO-Guitar Controller a few months back. Seems to be the same idea as the YRG. It has no on-board sounds, but it does sport a 5 pin MIDI out, which makes it a very interesting and capable MIDI controller well worth the $125 price.

Calling it a guitar is a stretch, but calling it a toy is arguably inaccurate, misleading and overly derogatory. Think of it as a cheap MIDI controller that guitarists already know how to play and you won't be disappointed. Then save up for the Fishman Triple Play to put on your real guitars. I sold my Roland GR33 and GR55s a few months ago in anticipation of the Fishman release.

• Members

I am also anxiously awaiting the release of the Fishman Triple Play for triggering synths with a guitar. I am currently experimenting with MIDI to Guitar with a Roland VG-99 driving an old hardware synth module (Roland JV-2080). Both of these are relatively new to me and I am still learning and working through the latency & tracking issues of driving synths with a guitar as a controller. While I am hoping that the Triple-Play is a big improvement in both of these areas, a keyboard will probably still be the best & least problematic way to drive synth sounds.

I really should (and would like to) learn to play keyboards as well as guitar. If you have any tips on how to apply guitar knowledge to playing keyboards, or can point me to any resources on the subject, that would be great. I thing becoming proficient on both instruments would be a huge benefit!

• Members

Calling it a guitar is a stretch, but calling it a toy is arguably inaccurate, misleading and overly derogatory.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree!

Compared to what I use with an axon/ motif XS rack combo and a Godin ACS SA classical. This IS a toy to me. It just does not come close to doing what I expect out of a MIDI guitar controller.

Even a GR 55 and GK3 setup is WAY above this toy.

• Members

Sorry, but I strongly disagree!

Compared to what I use with an axon/ motif XS rack combo and a Godin ACS SA classical. This IS a toy to me. It just does not come close to doing what I expect out of a MIDI guitar controller.

Even a GR 55 and GK3 setup is WAY above this toy.

And I strongly agree with what you say. The gear you mention is great stuff, and the YRG and the RB3 Fender can not come close to the functionality and expresiveness of MIDI coming from real guitars and real strings.

I'm just saying that calling these gadgets toys tends to dismiss them as useless. I can't speak for the YRG, but the Rock Band Guitar is far from useless.

Think of it as a super-affordable 102 button midi controller laid out like a fretboard. That can be very useful if you are into cool music interfaces like I am. That's why I say calling it a guitar is a stretch. And it's also why I say it is arguable :)

• Members

And I strongly
agree
with what you say. The gear you mention is great stuff, and the YRG and the RB3 Fender can not come close to the functionality and expresiveness of MIDI coming from real guitars and real strings.

I'm just saying that calling these gadgets
toys
tends to dismiss them as useless. I can't speak for the YRG, but the Rock Band Guitar is far from useless.

Think of it as a super-affordable 102 button midi controller laid out like a fretboard. That can be very useful if you are into cool music interfaces like I am. That's why I say calling it a guitar is a stretch. And it's also why I say it is arguable
:)

Yes I would even put the rock band guitar above the you rock guitar. They may not be totally useless to someone else....but for what I do, they are.

Thus, the toy comparison, as it is totally useless to me.

• Members

I bought a YRG at Summer NAMM 2011. It is, as others have noted, pretty much a toy, but it's a fun toy. I don't use it for gigging, but it's great for goofing around on and seeing what weird sounds I can come up with. My biggest gripe about it is that you can't damp or palm mute, so there's a huge learning curve when it comes to strumming techniques.

• Members

Yes I would even put the rock band guitar above the you rock guitar. They may not be totally useless to someone else....but for what I do, they are. Thus, the toy comparison, as it is totally useless to me.

Fair enough. What is it that sets the RB above the YRG. Just curious, especially since the YRG is so much more expensive. I own a RB, but i've never seen a YRG.

BTW, I bought my RB at ... a toy store. :D

• Members

We could just learn to play a keyboard like everyone else *ducks flying objects*

Guitarno, just learn the basic theory. Keys are super easy that way. The keys are a great way for us noodling guitarists to actually slow down, and focus on the notes. They have names after all, and there's only one. :)

The keys have different patters in the same position and the guitar has the same pattern in different positions -- all cool n' {censored}.

I sold my Roland GR33 and GR55s a few months ago in anticipation of the Fishman release.

I sold a GR unit 'cause I was unhappy with its synths. I spent hours and never got the sounds I was looking for. I started using a micro korg and found the sounds to destroy most of the synth sounds on the GR 55 right out of the box, but that's me.

• Members

We
could
just learn to play a keyboard like everyone else *ducks flying objects*

Guitarno, just learn the basic theory. Keys are super easy that way. The keys are a great way for us noodling guitarists to actually slow down, and focus on the notes. They have names after all, and there's only one.

The keys have different patters in the same position and the guitar has the same pattern in different positions -- all cool n' {censored}.

I sold a GR unit 'cause I was unhappy with its synths. I spent hours and never got the sounds I was looking for. I started using a micro korg and found the sounds to destroy most of the synth sounds on the GR 55 right out of the box, but that's me.

Just because playing keyboard may work for YOU, it may NOT work for someone else!

I put a LOT of years into playing and learning GUITAR....NOT keyboard! Why would I or someone else having learned guitar, want to start learning a whole new instrument now? For a just getting a MIDI sound? No thanks!

As I stated, it takes the same amount of years to learn keyboard properly. Unless you are just planning to play some small notes. THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS! Period!

And if you can't understand that there is very little difference using an axon with a yamaha motif XS rack that also can sound just as good as a keyboard, I don't know what to tell you.

• Members

I sometimes say things that could resemble jokes. I use an axon product because I don't know how to *voice* a Bb diminished 7th on a keyboard -- I'm a guitar player, too, ya know. ;)

Of course there's no shortcuts! But I'm also fine with a few small notes here and there. :)

• Members

I sometimes say things that
could
resemble jokes. I use an axon product because I don't know how to *voice* a Bb diminished 7th on a keyboard -- I'm a guitar player, too, ya know.
;)

Of course there's no shortcuts! But I'm also fine with a few small notes here and there.

Then you should also know that playing a guitar and keyboard are two, totally different instruments taking years to learn.

If you meant that other post as a "joke", it simply didn't sound like it to me.

• Members

We
could
just learn to play a keyboard like everyone else *ducks flying objects*

Hehehehehe....

I admit most of the stuff I do with synths is from the keyboard instead of my guitar-MIDI interface. However, when I do need to have synth sounds and guitar parts happening at the same time, it's handy to have my Roland VG-99 around...

• Members

Hehehehehe....

I admit most of the stuff I do with synths is from the keyboard instead of my guitar-MIDI interface. However, when I do need to have synth sounds and guitar parts happening at the same time, it's handy to have my Roland VG-99 around...

The point is, that MOST guitar players cannot play keyboards. They would have to learn a totally new instrument.

Thus it is even better for THEM to have a MIDI guitar interface.

• Members

The point is, that MOST guitar players cannot play keyboards. They would have to learn a totally new instrument.

Thus it is even better for THEM to have a MIDI guitar interface.

Oh yeah, I get that. I was laughing at his *ducks flying objects*. I actually support the need for MIDI guitar technology, for a variety of reasons.

Archived