I've Got It All, Now What?

Mike McLenison

• Members

Yeah, the SDD-3000 would be cool. Edge uses his with the delay turned off a lot of the time. He uses a TC Electronic 2290 for delay, but loves the +4 dB boost on the Korg so much that he uses that as almost an "overdrive." It's got someting like 30 of the 4558 chips that account for the original TS-808s sweet tones.

And you need a Digitech DHP-33 for harmonies, whammies, and ethereal goodness:
http://www.voxblues.com/u2/shimmery.mp3

I love the Strat/Ric -> Vox combo, though! Sweet!

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Yeah, the SDD-3000 would be cool. Edge uses his with the delay turned off a lot of the time. He uses a TC Electronic 2290 for delay, but loves the +4 dB boost on the Korg so much that he uses that as almost an "overdrive." It's got someting like 30 of the 4558 chips that account for the original TS-808s sweet tones.

And you need a Digitech DHP-33 for harmonies, whammies, and ethereal goodness:

I love the Strat/Ric -> Vox combo, though! Sweet!

Nice clip Zach! Is that you?

Ok, I have a million questions - even though I'm going the simple route, one thing I want to really do is get my shimmer box going, was curious how you're doing it.

Are you using some sort of splitter box to split your guitar signal? Or are you just going guitar->DHP33->amp and you're setting the mix? The latter is how I've been doing it.

And how are you turning on and off the shimmer? Expression pedal?

BTW, I'm assuming the delay on the clip was your Korg SDD-2000? If it's that little Ibanez modulated delay pedal, I'm going to {censored} my pants!

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

Nice clip Zach! Is that you?

Ok, I have a million questions - even though I'm going the simple route, one thing I want to really do is get my shimmer box going, was curious how you're doing it.

Are you using some sort of splitter box to split your guitar signal? Or are you just going guitar->DHP33->amp and you're setting the mix? The latter is how I've been doing it.

And how are you turning on and off the shimmer? Expression pedal?

BTW, I'm assuming the delay on the clip was your Korg SDD-2000? If it's that little Ibanez modulated delay pedal, I'm going to {censored} my pants!

Hehe...

Yeah, I split the signal, ran some reverb after the DHP-33, and used both inputs on the AC-15 to recombine it. Shimmer was controlled by my Behringer FCB-1010 midi pedal.

And that's SDD-2000 delay there. I'll have to make a clip of the Ibanez DML at some point. It's a killer delay...

• Members

The only constant is change, so we enjoy what we're happy with until we're not as happy with it anymore.

The only thing is to ensure that the change is as small as possible, in terms of the difference/s and the impact that it'll have on the wallet.

As for the change being for the better/worse, it's for us to bite and find out.

You seem to have got quite a number of useful suggestions there from the other guys, the potential for further additions and tweaking is there.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Hehe...

Yeah, I split the signal, ran some reverb after the DHP-33, and used both inputs on the AC-15 to recombine it. Shimmer was controlled by my Behringer FCB-1010 midi pedal.

And that's SDD-2000 delay there. I'll have to make a clip of the Ibanez DML at some point. It's a killer delay...

I knew it was the Korg SDD-2000! The Korg delays have a certain sound to them! I owned the SDD-1000 and the SDD-3000 and they have a very similar sound. The 1000 actually sounds more warm and analog than the 3000 imo.

Ok, now I totally NEED some sort of control pedal for the shimmer. The 1010 is more than I need, is there a single pedal that's recommended to control the shimmer? And what reverb are you using? (My guess is SPX90 since that's what the folks on the U2 forum seem to be using) I've been thinking of picking up a Lexicon PCM 60 reverb - used to own one and loved it, I have a line on a cheap one. So what are you using to split your guitar signal? I know Radial makes a box with Jenson caps that supposedly is very good.

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

I knew it was the Korg SDD-2000! The Korg delays have a certain sound to them! I owned the SDD-1000 and the SDD-3000 and they have a very similar sound. The 1000 actually sounds more warm and analog than the 3000 imo.

Ok, now I totally NEED some sort of control pedal for the shimmer. The 1010 is more than I need, is there a single pedal that's recommended to control the shimmer? And what reverb are you using? (My guess is SPX90 since that's what the folks on the U2 forum seem to be using) I've been thinking of picking up a Lexicon PCM 60 reverb - used to own one and loved it, I have a line on a cheap one. So what are you using to split your guitar signal? I know Radial makes a box with Jenson caps that supposedly is very good.

I'm just using wet and dry outputs on the DHP to split the signal. Signal goes in mono and comes out two outputs.

You can use just about any expression pedal...you just have to calibrate in the utilities menu. I think the first one I had cost $24...Something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--QLKVP12

But I think you could use something like an Ernie Ball volume pedal, as well. The cheap one didn't have a very pleasant taper.

For reverb it's just a dirt cheap Alesis Nanoverb. Just something to smooth things out.

• Members

Originally posted by goodbye,beautiful

Hey Seif, you still using your zoom driver? I cannt get away from using it to record direct. Almost got rid of it because it sounds like ASS through my Mesa, but, as always, amazing direct to my computer

no, i sold it. but those arent meant to be boost pedals, run it into a clean amp and then eq THAT. thats the secret....

• Members

Originally posted by seifukusha

no, i sold it. but those arent meant to be boost pedals, run it into a clean amp and then eq THAT. thats the secret....

I know, thats how i always used it. I don't know why, but it always sounded thin on my F50. Sounded amazing on every other mp. And I spent days trying to eq it right. Ohh well. It does recording right...works for me. I am off, night Seif

• Members

Thanks for the tips!

BTW, I guess you don't have track lighting in the space where your amp is. Cause my amp buzzes like a mother{censored}er when it's at home because I have track lighting! :mad:

Your chain kinda makes sense actually, a clear signal into the DHP33, then it goes out to the delay.

BTW, I just spent a little time playing with the Korg SDD-3000 - you clip inspired me to hook it up! Oh boy, do you think I should do a shootout between the SDD-3000 and the Ibanez AD-80? It's not really a fair comparison since it's really apples to oranges in a way, but I forgot what great vibe the SDD-3000 is! Now I'm lusting for some shimmer too! :D

• 5 months later...
  • Members

what was this crap one of you was spilling about the edge not even using the 3000 for delay but only as a preamp boost? i was just about to get one for some nice warm modulated delays (the sdd 1000 model most likely since i can afford that one) but if those delays are coming from the TC rack then perhaps i'l hold off on adding another delay to the DML10 II and the dd-20

Archived