Visual Sound

rancidNOFXummm.

• Members

I had an older model and the newer red model. If your thinking of getting one, I'd go with the red one. The overdrive side is based on the ts808. I never had a real ts808, but I've had a lot of clones of one. It is very good sounding and the bass boost switch is useful if you don't like the loss of bass that occurs when using a tubescreamer. It's also not as "boxey" sounding as the tubescreamer, I think and pretty quiet. I like tubescreamers, and have had a few different ones, and this and the od-9 were probably my favorites. The Hyde side is not really rat sounding but can be set up that way, in that a rat is marshally sounding and the hyde set up that way can sound marshally also. But it uses similar op amps as the tubescreamer and can go from tubescreamerish overdrive up to marshall stack sounding. There's really a lot you can do with this side. I was able to get anywhere from ZZ top to foo fighters type stuff with this. You can also use both sides together. There's a lot of volume boost in this too and it's made a lot more sturdier than the older model. I ended up selling it when I got an amp with a better distortion channel and a maxon od-9. But if I were running a single channel fender which I intend to at some point, I would get one again.

• Members

i think it is by far better than most all of the "common" overdrives or distortions out there like boss, dod, digitech, ibanez, etc.

the buffer is great pedals do oes not suck tone when i put them after this jekyll&hyde in line.

but thats not what i love most - its the many great sounds. you dont just get 1 or 2. and with decent humbuckers it will go about as heavy as i could imagine anyone ever needing.

great sounds, construction, quality & features. ive not even wanted to look or try any overdrives or distortions since i got it - and the od side does what the 808 did perfectly but has what the 808 was missing - a bass-boost switch. i sold my all-original TS808 shortly after getting the red J&H

• 3 months later...

Archived