Alesis MODfx Lounge ... Cheap FX and Thrills!

ck3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

They are all $39 now? I got all 7 in the mail over the weekend. Haven't opened them yet. I got some for $29 though. Cost me $249 for the whole set.

How many does the rackmount thing hold? 2? Seems crazy for the money.

• Members

Originally posted by Arjae

They are all $39 now? I got all 7 in the mail over the weekend. Haven't opened them yet. I got some for $29 though. Cost me $249 for the whole set.

How many does the rackmount thing hold? 2? Seems crazy for the money.

Good deal - it holds three, but still. Shame, shame, Musician's Friend.

• Members
Originally posted by draygon0

Good deal - it holds three, but still. Shame, shame, Musician's Friend.

Yeah, the prices on the "lower-end" MODfx units seem to have been fluctuating like certain Arion pedals ... I wonder if MF finally realized that people are actually interested in these things. :confused:

• Members

I recevied a new Philtre in the mail yesterday. It seems that the adapter type and output level are both different than those of my Bitrman. Considering that Musician's Friend replenshed its stock rather quickly, I wonder if Alesis did another run of MODfx processors. :eek:

Anyhoo, has anyone else had trouble balancing levels with multiple MODfx units (especially when 'modlinked')?

• Members
Originally posted by VicShat

damn, those unreleased ones looks {censored}ing sweet. especially the fidelity x.
:(

Just get an Ineko for that effect ... you won't regret it. ;)

(Even if the delays are a bit substandard.)

• Members

I think that someone else mentioned this combination, but I just have to say that Philtre>Bitrman sounds fantastic. :cool:

The Bitrman's phaser can muddy the Philtre's modulation a bit. However, the Bitrman's decimation, ring mod, or freq shift coupled with a little distortion and compression interacts in a very organic and interesting fashion with the Philtre's waveforms (when using a guitar).

Also, I discovered that my output volume issues were related to the distortion parameter on the Bitrman. It would seem that, if you have both units connected and up the trimmer on the Philtre to improve its tracking, it is necessary to lower the distortion on the Bitrman ... or the output level can almost be tripled when the Bitrman is engaged. :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Has anyone ever connected more than two units via the modlink port? I'm curious about the sound quality after doing so, especially the output level.

i had all the mofx units at one time and i connected them all via the "modlink" and the results were not good. all the bypass/hissing issues were amplified.

as a whole, the modfx line is a bunch of great ideas that were poorly executed.

• Members

Originally posted by paulandpaul

i had all the mofx units at one time and i connected them all via the "modlink" and the results were not good. all the bypass/hissing issues were amplified.

as a whole, the modfx line is a bunch of great ideas that were poorly executed.

Hmmm ... that probably explains the sci-fi fizzing I get with certain fuzzes when my units are bypassed and my TB loop isn't disengaged.

Though I have qualms with the build, bypass, and line level output design of MODfx units, I still enjoy the tones I am able to create with them a great deal ... and, the more I tinker with the Philtre, the more ingorant I feel for selling my first one and wasting valuable barter commodities on a noisy and overpriced analog filter.

• Members
Originally posted by ck3

Hmmm ... that probably explains the sci-fi fizzing I get with certain fuzzes when my units are bypassed and my TB loop isn't disengaged.

Though I have qualms with the build, bypass, and line level output design of MODfx units, I still enjoy the tones I am able to create with them a great deal ... and, the more I tinker with the Philtre, the more ingorant I feel for selling my first one and wasting valuable barter commodities on a noisy and overpriced analog filter.

don't get me wrong, they are cool pedals. but imagine if the bypasses were nice, there were no trim knobs, they took normal power supplies, and they were housed in a more sturdy, guitar-friendly way with a stomp switch??!!:eek:

and the argument that they are geared more for table top use still dosen't excuse the shoddy design.

i still have a hard time believeing they didn't kind of have guitar players in mind when they built these things. i mean, tremolo? phaser? flanger? they had to know that guitarists would be interested.

i still say these things were a poorly executed experiment that unfortunatly left guitarists frothing at the mouth for these things to someday be reissued with a bit more care and craftsmanship.

• Members

don't get me wrong, they are cool pedals. but imagine if the bypasses were nice, there were no trim knobs, they took normal power supplies, and they were housed in a more sturdy, guitar-friendly way with a stomp switch??!!
:eek:

If Dano minis can be rehoused, anything is possible. ;)

... ... Colin, are you reading this?

and the argument that they are geared more for table top use still dosen't excuse the shoddy design.

Damn straight!!! :mad:

i still have a hard time believeing they didn't
kind of
have guitar players in mind when they built these things. i mean, tremolo? phaser? flanger? they had to know that guitarists would be interested.

.. or keyboard players who want to be guitarists ... Jordan Ruedess(sp?), anyone? :p

i still say these things were a poorly executed experiment that unfortunatly left guitarists frothing at the mouth for these things to someday be reissued with a bit more care and craftsmanship.

'Alesis' and 'craftsmanship' are terms that should probably never appear the same sentence. :o

• Members
Originally posted by Zooey

OK, you asked for it (or maybe you didn't).

Here's a song made entirely from noises generated by the
Bitrman and Philtre
in self-oscillation mode. Every note you hear (including drums) is one of those two effects with no other instruments used.

Shweet! I can't wait till my philtre arrives this week. :)

• Members

Originally posted by ck3

Nice ... how did you get such crisp production?

The sounds generated by the ModFX in self-oscillation mode are almost pure sine and triangle waveforms. There are no instruments involved, so there's very little noise. The right output is plugged into the left input. The left output is recorded straight to disk through a nice line amp.

I tried to leave the rate control on the Philtre constant so there was little need for time compression/expansion. The "drums" are blips generated by the Bitrman that are pasted straight into the Pro Tools grid. The whole thing is about 8 tracks, 12 if you include effects busses.

Archived