Yanks vs. Limeys thread

• Members

Ok then, bringing out the next comic contender for the UK...

Ricky Gervais!!

I was trying to eat my dinner one Friday night when "Animals" came on - I had to stop eating cos it was so funny! Food was coming out of my nose, quicker than I could get it in my mouth!:)

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

My parents came back from visiting our family in Glasgow and Aberdeen last year, and had a Rangers T-shirt for me. But being more in tune with American sports, I don't know the sociopolitical connotations of wearing such a shirt. I need some stereotypes explained to me first. I know they have a long history and a bunch of championships, but what else do I need to know?

Celtic were seen as a Catholic club for Catholics, which led to Rangers, with their mainly Protestant following, adopting a staunch anti-Catholic approach.

Many fans were prejudiced against Celtic's Irish following and the frequent rioting of Celtic's support didn't help their image.

It wasn't until the Graeme Souness era in 1989 that Rangers actually signed a Catholic player, when Mo Johnston, a former Celtic player, crossed the divide.

TV pictures at the time showed outraged Rangers fans burning their season tickets.

It's all a bit of fun :)

• Members
Originally posted by David Jatt

Celtic were seen as a Catholic club for Catholics, which led to Rangers, with their mainly Protestant following, adopting a staunch anti-Catholic approach.

Many fans were prejudiced against Celtic's Irish following and the frequent rioting of Celtic's support didn't help their image.

It wasn't until the Graeme Souness era in 1989 that Rangers actually signed a Catholic player, when Mo Johnston, a former Celtic player, crossed the divide.

TV pictures at the time showed outraged Rangers fans burning their season tickets.

It's all a bit of fun
:)

Thanks for the overview! So I shouldn't wear the shirt when visiting my Catholic friends. Got it.

My wife, when she was in high school, was involved with a Northern Ireland reconciliation/peace project, and spent some time there (as well as hosting some Northern Irish teenagers over here). Having grown up aware of racial discrimination in Tennessee (as we both did), it was more confusing to have the arguing sides all look the same. But there were all kinds of rules that her hosts made her follow regarding areas to avoid, certain days with parades that were bad, and so forth. Sad.

• Members

My parents came back from visiting our family in Glasgow and Aberdeen last year, and had a Rangers T-shirt for me. But being more in tune with American sports, I don't know the sociopolitical connotations of wearing such a shirt. I need some stereotypes explained to me first. I know they have a long history and a bunch of championships, but what else do I need to know?

I'm much more in tune with baseball.
:rolleyes:

and a long and violent sectarian history :D

basically the two main teams in glasgow (rangers and celtic) are part of the catholic/protestant rivalry, i cant remember which way round it was though
[edit] as someone said while i was typing this post, celtic got the catholic following, and the football got dragged into things like the orange marches and fighting between the two teams fans, kind of an echo of what was happening in northern ireland...
if you are in america, will anyone even notice?

Aberdeen all the way though, possibly the first time i have ever heard it mentioned here (i live in Aberdeen)

as for the comedy stakes, britain all the way, Monty Python, The Fast Show (go download a couple of episodes if you havent seen any), Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf (the mightiest tv show ever) and more recently things like the office, ali g, the league of gentlemen, etc...
how can america compete with that lot?

and in the gear and music stakes, the home of Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt...the sounds of classic rock.
Black sabbath (the fathers of metal) Queen, The Beatles, The Who, etc... all started out in Britain

David

• Members

Originally posted by Narcosynthesis

if you are in america, will anyone even notice?

Not a chance. And I doubt many Scottish or Irish come to Ohio as tourists, either!

Aberdeen all the way though, possibly the first time i have ever heard it mentioned here (i live in Aberdeen)

The family are in Glasgow, Aberdeen, and Kilmarnock. I was really unhappy that I couldn't join that trip last year, but our daughter was born just beforehand. So who knows when we'll travel again! But my parents and sister came back just glowing about how wonderful a time they had, and how friendly our extended family are (there were some that we had not met before). My late grandfather was the connection to Scotland; as an old man he continued to wear one of those plaid snap-brim caps with the puffy ball on top, which stood out somewhat in Tennessee!

• Members

there really is only one way to solve this

00010.jpg

or jimi hendrix vs. pete townshend

... oh and texas does win, 13th floor elevators > every {censored}ty wannabe blues band out of the uk (including the stones who werent {censored}ty until mcjagger started copulating with david bowie).
if you dont believe me, live in austin for a year.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

... oh and texas does win, 13th floor elevators > every {censored}ty wannabe blues band out of the uk (including the stones who werent {censored}ty until mcjagger started copulating with david bowie).

if you dont believe me, live in austin for a year.

The stones = benchmark

As for Jimi, he had to come to england to get fame and fortune. You biffs dont know a good thing if it sets fire to its guitar while it slaps your face.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

DONE!

blue jays ok?

Absolutely. Unlike the Astros, they (1) never play Cincinnati, and thus never beat up on Cincinnati; and (2) never have former president George H.W. Bush sitting in the front row so that I have to see him every time a batter comes to the plate.

• Members

(2) never have former president George H.W. Bush sitting in the front row so that I have to see him every time a batter comes to the plate.

They have had the luxury of having blag complete the Toronto Star crossword in some nosebleed seat.

• Members

The stones = benchmark

As for Jimi, he had to come to england to get fame and fortune. You biffs dont know a good thing if it sets fire to its guitar while it slaps your face.

stones = great, but still got started by ripping off muddy waters, badly, might i add.

and ya got me on the hendrix one. but noel redding was a pud.

oh well, we still have the velvet underground and the better half of the punk explosion.

your modern mainstream music is better, but our indie scene has the advantage.

your parlament is more entertaining than our congress.

but our radicals are scarier.

this could (and probably will) go on all day.

• Members

If you'll promise never to put on a Houston Astros shirt, even as a joke. I frigging hate them.

Wow. I've never heard anyone say they hate the Astros.... Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs.. etc... but not the stros... I'm guessing you are a Cardinals fan.

Astros fans generally hate the Cubs, Mets and Dodgers... we like and respect the Cards for the most part...

and go Everton.....off to the Champions League...

rock

bford

• Members

oops, the Reds... sorry about the Cardinal thing. I just was not thinking plainly. We have owned the Reds for a while. Especially Roy Oswalt. He's 14-0 lifetime against the Reds. Even amidst the worse start we have had in twenty years, we are still ahead of Cincy.

At least Griffey is hitting the ball hard again, and Adam Dunn is from New Caney which is twenty minutes north of Houston. That is one huge dude.

rock

bford

• Members

Originally posted by jbford1

Wow. I've never heard anyone say they hate the Astros.... Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs.. etc... but not the stros... I'm guessing you are a Cardinals fan.

Reds fan. I suppose I should be more bent out of shape about the Cardinals this year, but with the Reds so far out of contention already this year, there's no point. (I'm already waiting for football season instead, it's gotten so bad.) The Reds just traditionally seem to suck against Houston.

• Members

Originally posted by jbford1

At least Griffey is hitting the ball hard again, and Adam Dunn is from New Caney which is twenty minutes north of Houston. That is one huge dude.

Dunn, who last week said he'd like to play for Houston! Nice. There may be a trade after this season, as he stands to have a huge jump in salary, and the Reds are always ready to dump salary, unfortunately.

• Members

HUZZAH FOR JBFORD1

I went to both matches Everton played in Houston last summer. I even got to meet a few of the players. They seemed like a really cool group of down to Earth guys.

I had been searching for a EPL team to really support and they came along at the right time. I have a few friends who are big ManU fans, so it was awesome when Big Dunc headed in that goal at Goodison. I have another friend who is a big Arsenal fan, but we have agreed to not talk about those matches this year.

have we re-signed Arteta yet?

bford

I'm really off topic now, I know, sorry.

Archived