Ripping these damn protected CDs

jcn37203

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Have you guys ever wondered how much money the RIAA spends on this bull{censored} technology that is always broken in about 2 weeks and pass those expenses on to us as consumers?

Yes.

A LOT.

I love to read the geeky news sites, because there's always headlines like "New anti piracy measures cracked 15 minutes after announcement. Sony lawyers attempting to sue the Internet"

• Members

Originally posted by jdwinger

given the feature has other valid utility, it may simply not fall within the scope of DMCA (there could very well be other reasons as well, I haven't seen the fact pattern)

they simply may not want it under test for risk of getting a judgement on it they don't want

Yeah, exactly. I think if they had pushed it, then the insanity of the DMCA would have come to light, possibly triggering an overturning of the bill. So they let it slide and settled for threatening letters instead.

These copyright laws make me nearly as sick as the Patriot Act.

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

Radiohead, Coldplay, Beatles, all of them

I'd be impressed if you successfully ripped all tracks from One Giant Leap. But, I'm not familiar with the schemes on those albums. I ripped a coldplay album without any trouble. It's only certain CDs that pose an issue.

• Members

I had this problem untiil recently with my copy of APC's 13th Step. {censored}ing Maynard gets a wild hair up his ass about file sharing and I can't burn a copy of the cd I bought legit so it won't skip on every song. Due to the fact that I'm not that great with computers and didn't have a working one at home for while, the cd was unplayable for the better part of a year.

There are two programs that I've had luck with: one is CD-DA X-Tractor and the other is ISObuster. Neither had any problems ripping copy protected cds {censored} you, Maynard.

Anyway, any attempt at copy protection for audio is completely futile - at one point, for it to have any value at all, it has to be transferred to a waveform, at which point it can be recorded. Yadda yadda yadda, this subject has been done to death.

Pirate away, and {censored} the {censored}ers.

• Members

I tried to rip the new Dave Matthews CD. I guess they protected it because of schmoes like me, who borrow it from someone at work to rip to iTunes.

I listened to it and it wasn't that great anyway. I haven't liked much of his recent stuff, so I'm not that torn up that it didn't rip. Still, what if I had legitimately purchased that CD?!

:D :D

• Members
Originally posted by jcn37203

Me either, so far. Because it sounds like "Ski... teo... brip.... tik... tli... sco...."

:D

I bought a brand new copy of it for $1 at a pawn shop. and I gave it three or four listens before realizing that my intial impression that it was exciting as listening in on mid 70's Clapton & post Abraxis Santana jamming for eachother over a phone with a really pissed off shut in neo-fascist suburban kid bitched about issues that such people can't really grasp due to their lack of reason or understanding.

If I had to write a review of it, and rate it I'd give it a 2.5 or a weak 3.

• Members
Originally posted by Fingermush

I bought a brand new copy of it for $1 at a pawn shop. and I gave it three or four listens before realizing that my intial impression that it was exciting as listening in on mid 70's Clapton & post Abraxis Santana jamming for eachother over a phone with a really pissed off shut in neo-fascist suburban kid bitched about issues that such people can't really grasp due to their lack of reason or understanding.

Wow, that actually sounds really appealing to me.

:)

• Members

I second the rec for Exact Audio Copy. Using free software is generally the best way to go for ripping tools if there is any available.

Just don't use EAC on a scratched disk. It tries so hard to make a perfect copy, if there are any flaws at all on the CD, it can end up taking a few hours to rip it.

In that case, I'll use CDEx, which isn't quite as high quality, but it will skip over an error on the CD and just leave a blank spot in the music.

I also like to use mkw for audio compression, it will handle not just mp3, but .shn, .flac, etc. so its a good thing to have if you are downloading a lot of the free live stuff off the web(Grateful Dead, Phish, DMB, etc)

This is a good resource:

http://www.etree.org/software.html

Archived