I've devised a new test for when I meet someone new.

jcn37203

• Members

From now on, whenever I meet a new person, I'm going to make sure to squeeze in 'Grease' and 'Les Miserables' into the conversation.

If their {censored}ing eyes get even a milimeter wider at the mention of either, I'm turning around and walking away.

• Members

I wish girls would have done that back in the day, so I would never have got stuck watching musicals. I'm certain I'm the only one who feels this way, but musicals suck. Oh, the story might be fantastic, but no matter how much you sing, I'm still not going to care.

And John Travolta singing makes me wish I was the guy in the back of the car in Pulp Fiction.

• Members

The singer in my band did Travolta in Grease in high school. Believe me, he hears about it from me as often as I can remember to bring it up...

:)

Actually, we're working on doing a cover of the Phantom of the Opera song right now--it's just {censored}ing hilarious. Stupid song changes keys four times though. It's throwing my brain through a loop trying to transcribe it...

• Members
Originally posted by mukuzi

pic`s

Wow, I had to reread my post three times to figure out what the gonk you were talking about. I meant that the story the musical tells might be fantastic, but I'll never care.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

My favorite five:

Big River

The Music Man

Annie

Assassins

Les Miserables

My fiance was in Assassins a few years ago. I can't remember who she played.

Please don't talk to me about Les Mis. I am so sick of hearing about it.

I know a girl who reads it non-stop. The unabridged version, over and over. It's a sickness.

• Members

Originally posted by jcn37203

My fiance was in Assassins a few years ago. I can't remember who she played.

Please don't talk to me about Les Mis. I am so sick of hearing about it.

I know a girl who reads it non-stop. The unabridged version, over and over. It's a sickness.

I've never read it. I refuse to read any French literature not by Camus (actually, I just haven't read any French fiction not by Camus)...I just saw it on Broadway when I was a junior in high school and thought it was good.

And if you want to get Les Mis outta your head, then I can spend the next while talking the virtues of Robert Preston in The Music Man.

• Members

No thanks.

You know, its weird. Probably half, possibly 2/3 of the girls I have dated have been involved with theatre. Which means I've had to sit through some truly terrible performances. Each time I swear I'll never get involved with another theatre chick. This continued up until I became engaged to a person with a theatre degree.

I guess its destiny or something.

At least the performances are good at this level, and I got to meet some pretty cool artsy people. Even got to hang out in John prine's studio, because of some people who knew some people.

*shrug*

I've never read it. I refuse to read any French literature not by Camus (actually, I just haven't read any French fiction not by Camus)...I just saw it on Broadway when I was a junior in high school and thought it was good.

And if you want to get Les Mis outta your head, then I can spend the next while talking the virtues of Robert Preston in
The Music Man

• Members

You know, its weird. Probably half, possibly 2/3 of the girls I have dated have been involved with theatre. Which means I've had to sit through some truly terrible performances.

I'll second that. Sitting through high-school performances of Bye Bye Birdie and Carousel did a lot for my character.

• Members

This continued up until I became engaged to a person with a theatre degree.

You said she works at your work. What does she do? Direct the action? ("J., computer left NOW!" "John, you had BETTER not forget your java code like you did last night!" "Steve, you need to PROJECT more when you're on the phone at the help desk!")

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I'll second that. Sitting through high-school performances of
Bye Bye Birdie
and
Carousel
did a lot for my character.

The worst I ever saw was a community theatre production of Cyrano De Berseriouysdfn. The worst part was that I wasn't dating anyone in the production, instead it was my friend's girlfriend. That was extremely hard to muster the effort to pretend to enjoy.

• Members

You said she works at your work. What does she do? Direct the action? ("J., computer left NOW!" "John, you had BETTER not forget your java code like you did last night!" "Steve, you need to PROJECT more when you're on the phone at the help desk!")

lol, nah.

Remember, the institution is huge. We work in totally different parts of campus, with different groups of people. Though we are occassionally included on the same emails and stuff, which is weird. Nobody even knows we're engaged. Just hasn't come up. We know a lot of the same people.

She basically abandoned theatre as a career about 2 days after graduation. Which I think is a shame. But she does definitely stand to make more money doing other things. She's going for her MBA now, with a focus on "technology management", which I think she thinks means one day she'll be my boss or something.

Never happen.

• Members

Originally posted by miles mayhem

I was the sound guy for a bunch of the musicals at my high school because I wanted to learn how to mix. The price: having to see Grease performed by a bunch of no-talent, pubescent brats about 30 times.

I actually looked in to doing that, but the only way to get in on that action was to take drama classes, which required at least one performance a year. So, I decided against it.

Nothing has ever appealed to me less than stage acting. I totally respect it as a craft, I just have no desire to do it.

• Members

I actually looked in to doing that, but the only way to get in on that action was to take drama classes, which required at least one performance a year. So, I decided against it.

Nothing has ever appealed to me less than stage acting. I totally respect it as a craft, I just have no desire to do it.

That sucks. I just had to ho myself out for about two years building flats and platforms, painting {censored}, and running random errands in a class dubbed "Stage Craft I." At that point the asshole in charge let me take over the sound booth. The musicals were more stress than fun (primitive body mics are about the least reliable piece of electronic equipment I have ever encountered), but mixing jazz band and random rock concerts made it all worth it.

Archived