Hammond Mod

• Members

Hey guys,

I'm looking to find some way of adding a B3 sound to my setup. Currently, I'm playing a Roland RD100, which doesn't have any sounds really worth mentioning other than the piano. What I'm looking for is a unit that has the sounds that I can just put between my board and amp that does a B3 sound, and I would also want a slides mod if it's available. What kinds of options are there for this?

• Members

Roland VK8M--small unit with reverb and physical drawbars.

Electro Rack--- A bit larger with digtal drawbars, no effects but great EP and Clav sounds. Also will set you back at least a few hundred more$$ than the Roland.

Hammond Susuki has a new module with drawbars out but I dont know much about it. Maybe someone else in the forum will.

Ewall

• Members

I've never tried the Roland VK8M. I ended up getting the Electro 61. I have heard samples of the VK8M on the Roland website, and heard from owners who say with some tweaking you can get a great sound from it.

Maybe someone who uses the VK8M could give us an opinion.

Ewall

• Members

Hi,

I think you need to know that the quest for great hammond is a sickness. It takes hold of you gradually. The VK-8M is great for your needs but the new ham-suzuki module (?XK-2M) would be a significant step up in authenticity. However, bound to be significantly more pricey than the roland. I would suggest you get what you can afford. Don't forget you need to also think about a real Leslie if you can afford it - that's really half the sound you're looking for. I'm currently saving to upgrade from the VK-7 to the XK-3. But really I've been really happy with the VK-7 compared to what I had before.

Just my $0.03 (Australian dollars)

John

• Members

Originally posted by Bobsk8

I played a B-3 in a club last night and while it sound great ( 2 leslies), I was thinking that for the 5 pounds it weighs, my VK8M sounds pretty darn good.

If you played on a rig like that to even compare it to a module/Clone like that is way off.

• Members

Originally posted by Outkaster

If you played on a rig like that to even compare it to a module/Clone like that is way off.

I have no idea what your statement is supposed to mean , do you? :rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by 88Fingers

How many of you guys have experience with that Roland VK8M? It seems pretty interesting and not too highly priced for me.

I owned a B-3 for about 15 years and until the VK8M came out, I was pretty discouraged with the possibility of ever finding something that sounded like a B-3. I have had my VK8m for over a year and a half and use it on just about every gig. I have even used it in jam sessions. Studio musicians that I work with from time to time rave about the sound I get out of that little box. There are so many variables to tweak that you can really customize the B-3 sound much more than you could a real B-3.

• Members

Originally posted by TimmyP

The Voce modules are pretty decent, but whether they are a sensible buy I can't say.

+1

I've been using a Voce V-5 for years. It won the "Gold Medal" for "authenticity" and "balls" in a clonewheel "shoot-out" done by Keyboard Magazine a few years ago. I really like its small size, programmability, and "live" drawbars/controls. It sits nicely on top of one of my synths. The only drawback is that you will need a Leslie simulator to go with it, for which Voce offers the "Spin II," a stomp-box. While the Spin II is no Dynacord CLS-222, it sounds pretty damn good, especially in "fast" mode. I've never understood why it seems Voce is often overlooked, as they make an excellent, excellent product!

• Members
Originally posted by PhreddyBoy

+2 on the Voce - especially if you are already planning on getting a leslie, or Motion Sound.

P.S. Does the Voce have a multipin leslie plugin? Which one is it?

No multipin plugin. Standard quarter-inch out.

Archived