OT: Met some Americans the other day...

• Members

Was on the bus in London with my girlfriend and met two guys from Colorado. They were 5 miles out of the centre and still radiating, but I overheard them wondering if they were on the right track to the centre. I butted in, told them they weren

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Man, remind me to give you a ring when I'm over there!

First of all: You've never had Trail-mix before!?!?!?! :eek:

Second: WHat is "Black pudding in the greasy spoon"?

Thanks from your yankee brethren. :cool:

• Members

Yeah after the pig has been stripped of anything thats good and healthy the blood and guts are minced into a sausage type thing. If you don't think about how its made it's quite tasty. The Greasy Spoon is a dirty cafe where we have breakfast. Trail mix was a new one, goes well with tea though :cool:

Yeah they did say the bottles were more of a fashion statement these days.

• Members

My wife is a huge fan of soccer and has gotten me into it. I'm not usually a sports fan. I like boxing and some hockey.

But we were in Hyde Park and I saw all the people playing and I said loudly "wow look at all the people playing soccer!!" She almost slapped me for using the 'S' word LOL!

But yeah, we're usually pretty amazed. I mean over at Regent's park at lunchtime, we saw guys show up in ties and shed them and jump in a game and play for a bit. It's hilarious. I thought it was neat. My wife thought it was fantastic. As much as she loves soccer I thought I wasn't going to be able to pry her back to the states.

• Members

Originally posted by amanonfire

sounds like you met some frat boys.

Yeah I reckon, they did "whoop" a lot, carry crates of beer on their shoulders and say "{censored}in' A" a lot. But they were really cool. Apparently they live near Aspen or something, last time I went skiing was in '98 in Lake Placid, so I reckon I'm going over in the winter.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

But yeah, we're usually pretty amazed. I mean over at Regent's park at lunchtime, we saw guys show up in ties and shed them and jump in a game and play for a bit. It's hilarious. I thought it was neat. My wife thought it was fantastic. As much as she loves soccer I thought I wasn't going to be able to pry her back to the states.

Huntsville used to have a pretty decent soccer scene going on back when I used to play alot.

• Members

Yes...frat boys are famous for their love of black pudding.

:confused:

trail mix, those {censored}in water bottles, living in aspen, these are all common fraternal traits.

and yes frat boys like to do stupid {censored} a la fear factor.

• Members

Originally posted by incubass

Huntsville used to have a pretty decent soccer scene going on back when I used to play alot.

Most of her playing was up in Tennessee. She used to play at the University here but only for about a year.

I think the soccer scene has laxed a bit. Hockey is still the big thing around here.

• Members

I have doubts about the bacon.

No offense. It's just that I came up on a few farms. I bet those people have never had the bacon I have.
:D

+17

I have a hard time believing anyone could make something from ANY part of a pig and have it be better than down home country bacon. With all due respect, of course. You did say they were drinking, right? :D

Ok, pork farmer's dream rig:
Harley Davidson strat => DOD Big Pig Distortion => Pignose Amp, all connected by curly-q cables.

How's that for staying on topic?

• Members
Originally posted by hbar

+17

I have a hard time believing anyone could make something from ANY part of a pig and have it be better than down home country bacon. With all due respect, of course. You did say they were drinking, right?

Harley Davidson strat => DOD Big Pig Distortion => Pignose Amp, all connected by curly-q cables.

True, I didn't believe them either. I just reckoned they weren't the sausage lovers we are (insert homo joke)

• Members
Originally posted by hbar

+17

I have a hard time believing anyone could make something from ANY part of a pig and have it be better than down home country bacon. With all due respect, of course. You did say they were drinking, right?

Well, thats kind of like saying the best Italian food I've ever had is in italy. You are going to have great meat if you live on a farm.

I've done scientific tests and our bacon is 1073 times better than canadian bacon, which is 3987 times better than american bacon.

• Members

To Americans, Canadian Bacon is just ham. Many people like it on Pizza with Pineapple.. yeah, I know they are nuts.

Also, what do you use to test bacon? I have an old bacon tester from 1974, but that was right after GE bought the bacon testing company, and I'm not sure if it works as well as the pre-GE bacon testers.

rock

bford

• Members

Originally posted by jbford1

To Americans, Canadian Bacon is just ham. Many people like it on Pizza with Pineapple.. yeah, I know they are nuts.

Also, what do you use to test bacon? I have an old bacon tester from 1974, but that was right after GE bought the bacon testing company, and I'm not sure if it works as well as the pre-GE bacon testers.

rock

bford

Pshaw, my Pre-CBS blackface Super Porker will blow that away...has a real nice sizzle...

• Members

Originally posted by jbford1

I have an old mechanical bacon tester - lots of brass and wrought iron. Sure, it needs a lot more care and practice than the electronic ones, but I think there's something special about testing bacon with a proper centrifuge, steam hammer and crimp-stresser.

I think there's something about the magic of pork that can't be expressed on a dial or an LCD screen.

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I have an old mechanical bacon tester - lots of brass and wrought iron. Sure, it needs a lot more care and practice than the electronic ones, but I think there's something special about testing bacon with a proper centrifuge, steam hammer and crimp-stresser.

I think there's something about the magic of pork that can't be expressed on a dial or an LCD screen.

Pfff. Analog purist. I just like my bacon in my belly. The hell with the rest. :)

• Members
Originally posted by dot-dot-dot

I just test my bacon the old school, pre-industrial revolution way. I lick the pig.
janetsernie.JPG

• Members

i dont know what bacon is like in the UK, but when i lived in australia bacon was totally different...

it was like it was made from a completely different part of the pig

basically it was ham with lots of fat and gristle on it... and not the kind of fat you could chew up.

Archived