OT: Met some Americans the other day...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Can't speak for international bacon, but you can get some pretty sweet {censored} in the UK supermarkets even. The stuff we had at the Spoon was rubbish. I too was raised in the country (The Cotswolds) and the stuff you got in the farmers markets was just a slice o' {censored}in' heaven. :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by Psycho_Angus

Can't speak for international bacon, but you can get some pretty sweet {censored} in the UK supermarkets even. The stuff we had at the Spoon was rubbish. I too was raised in the country (The Cotswolds) and the stuff you got in the farmers markets was just a slice o' {censored}in' heaven.
:cool:

There a crappy little supermarket by work that does the best bacon I ever had. They are like mini-gammon steaks. 2 sterling to the pound. AWESOME.

• Members

Bacon...so are talking about the same thing?

Canadian Bacon, is ham.

What we call bacon is cured fatty pork sliced into strips (sometimes smoked, peppered or even maple cured). It is fried up crisp. You then take the drippings and put it in your beans or use it to make cornbread in a manner similar to yorkshire pudding. Good stuff.. This stuff:

bacon288x229.jpg

What is English Bacon?

• Members
Originally posted by us2bslim

Bacon...so are talking about the same thing?

Canadian Bacon, is ham.

What we call bacon is cured fatty pork sliced into strips (sometimes smoked, peppered or even maple cured). It is fried up crisp. You then take the drippings and put it in your beans or use it to make cornbread in a manner similar to yorkshire pudding. Good stuff.. This stuff:

bacon288x229.jpg

What is English Bacon?

engbreakfast_large.jpg

For canadian bacon, I'm talking about Peameal.

• Members
Originally posted by blaghaus

engbreakfast_large.jpg

For canadian bacon, I'm talking about Peameal.

I could get down with that. Looks similar to what I would call breakfast porkchops.

English breakfast is something y'all have definitely done right. I could get into that.

Although I would miss the grits and the biscuits and gravy.

• Members

I could get down with that. Looks similar to what I would call breakfast porkchops.

English breakfast is something y'all have definitely done right. I could get into that.

Although I would miss the grits and the biscuits and gravy.

I've never tried grits. Remind me of what it is again?

• Members

So how thick are we talkin' That looks kinda like thick prosciutto.

I dig the crispy bacon.

If you go to the butchers we're talking pretty thick, supermarkets and it's pretty thin, almost see through.

The best bacon actually comes from Denmark.

• Members

I've never tried grits. Remind me of what it is again?

It is a hot breakfast cereal made with cornmeal and corn grist. This stuff:
08.jpg
Although I honestly don't like it with teenage boys. I prefer sharp white cheddar and tabasco, or just real butter w/ salt and pepper. I also typically only a have bowl of it rather than a tub. Oh yeah, the instant stuff is crap. Not the proper texture at all.

• Members

It is a hot breakfast cereal made with cornmeal and corn grist. This stuff:

08.jpg
Although I honestly don't like it with teenage boys. I prefer sharp white cheddar and tabasco, or just real butter w/ salt and pepper. I also typically only a have bowl of it rather than a tub. Oh yeah, the instant stuff is crap. Not the proper texture at all.

I may have to try it one day. I like porridge with strawberry jam in it.

• Members

I prefer sharp white cheddar and tabasco, or just real butter w/ salt and pepper. I also typically only a have bowl of it rather than a tub. Oh yeah, the instant stuff is crap. Not the proper texture at all.

Man, I haven't had breakfast, now you're making me all hungry...:eek:

• Members

When I worked in Dublin, on the way over, I had my first taste of black pudding on the Aer Lingus flight from Heathrow to Dublin. I was also given a little bottle of Piper Heidsieck. I liked it a fair bit. I stayed in a B&B for the first week and I have to admit that I really liked being served a fry every day for breakfast. For those not in the know, that's a couple fried eggs, a couple sausages, a few rashers of bacon, fried tomatoes and mushrooms and fried bread (like a grilled cheese without the cheese). Sinful! I figured when in Rome (or Dublin) do as... It was also nice to automatically go to the pub after work for a couple pints of the black.

• Members

Coincidentally, I met an English fellow a few weeks ago from Manchester.
We had a pretty funny discussion about the English language.
Him: Mind the lorry.
Me:That's not a lorry, it's a truck!
Him: It's a lorry!
Me:A Truck! Speak English!
Him: We invented the {censored}in' language you damn Yank! Lorry!
Me: Soccer sucks!
Him: You mean futbol sucks!
Me: I agree, futbol sucks too!

we actually got along quite well. :D

By the way, Super Porker would be a killer name for a fat overdrive pedal.

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

Coincidentally, I met an English fellow a few weeks ago from Manchester.

We had a pretty funny discussion about the English language.

Him: Mind the lorry.

Me:That's not a lorry, it's a truck!

Him: It's a lorry!

Me:A Truck! Speak English!

Him: We invented the {censored}in' language you damn Yank! Lorry!

Me: Soccer sucks!

Him: You mean futbol sucks!

Me: I agree, futbol sucks too!

we actually got along quite well.
:D

By the way, Super Porker would be a killer name for a fat overdrive pedal.

LOL!! My first conversation with Zhivago on the phone:

Zhivago: you guys want to meet later
me: Sure thing...we're fixinna get some dinner and then we'll hook up
zhivago: ok
*click*

wife: bob?
me: yes?
wife: You just said 'fixinna' to an English man. He now thinks you're preparing dinner.

• Members
Originally posted by Thelonius

LOL!! My first conversation with Zhivago on the phone:

Zhivago: you guys want to meet later

me: Sure thing...we're fixinna get some dinner and then we'll hook up

zhivago: ok

*click*

wife: bob?

me: yes?

wife: You just said 'fixinna' to an English man. He now thinks you're preparing dinner.

I was once having a discussion with My canadian ex's sister about alanis Morrisette. I told her that alanis had "More mouth than a cows got {censored}"

you could hear a pin drop.

• Members

I was once having a discussion with My canadian ex's sister about alanis Morrisette. I told her that alanis had "More mouth than a cows got {censored}"

you could hear a pin drop.

Yes, we rarely hear the word {censored}.

Although muscated told me that people there don't say 'mother{censored}er' that much.

Was that the word? Maybe it was another cuss word. Maybe it has to do with the queen. We say mother{censored}er all the time. It's from watching too many Martin Scorcese films. *goes into eddie izzard impression of american movies*

The cow/alanis thing was {censored}ing funny though.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Yes, we rarely hear the word {censored}.

Although muscated told me that people there don't say 'mother{censored}er' that much.

Was that the word? Maybe it was another cuss word. Maybe it has to do with the queen. We say mother{censored}er all the time. It's from watching too many Martin Scorcese films. *
goes into eddie izzard impression of american movies

I have an acquaitance who says things like "Yo mutha{censored}as, did any of you see the 5-O Kidda?" all in a liverpool accent. It's weird.

Archived