Everyone here in Cali ok from the earthquake?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Yeah. I was too young to have seen him, but everyone I know who did said he was awesome to watch. And he had no qualms with throwing at you.

never got to see him either, sadly. and yes, apparently not only was he qualmless about plunking you, he seemed to actually enjoy it. :D

• 2 years later...
  • Members

As I understand it, each point up the Richter scale means an increase in intensity by a factor of ten. Thus, a 6.0 quake is ten times more powerful than a 5.0 quake. A 5.3 is considered pretty much a bump around here, but it can raise the BP real fast. The Northridge quake was a 6.3 I believe, and it knocked out several major freeway intersections and took the IS-10 freeway between downtown LA and the Westside out of commission for several months, and destroyed a lot of buildings in Santa Monica.

• Members

Yeah, 5.3 is nothing (though I think they use a new scale. Not sure how it is relative to the Richter scale).

Now 7.1, that's fun (I grew up in the SF area). Love how the Loma Prieta quake in '89 caused some nice waves in our backyard pool.

Edit: the '89 was 6.9-7.1, depending on the measurement. The 1994 Northridge quake (which woke me up at school in Santa Barbara) was 6.7, but did more damage because of a difference the type of ground movement compared with the SF quake.

• Members
two words: Bob Gibson.
:D

I saw him a bunch of times. If you homered off him, the next fastball you'd see would be right between the eyes. And the umps those days sort of let it happen, part of the game etc. etc., not like the pansy-ass umps today.

Archived