TS-9 tubescreamer, synth-fuzz, atari-ish type mod, how to and mp3 inside...

• 11 months later...
  • Members

ok did played with it for a few moment and it doesnt work the same on the sd-1, i guess the extra tone filter {censored}s with it it like the tone knob control the amount of {censored}ness in the sound, and the gain just fuzzes it a bit a lot of boost though. i un did it. sound cool but not very use full

• Members

So I built the screamer clone and did the mod. It works! The only problem is that the volume is LOUD!!! I barely turned the thing up past zero and it was really loud. So much for my plan to put in a footswitch to turn the atari sound on and off.

If you have one of these bad boys lying around and a soldering iron I strongly suggest you try this - do it with a long piece of cable and that way you can add in a switch for it later if you like it - if you don't, all you have to do is cut off the jumper. It is really easy.

• Members

Originally posted by bigtonemusic

If you are looking at the top of any DIP8 IC the pin #'s go

Anyways...I'll change the 100 ohm resistor to make it more 9 series like. Hopefully that's the reason it doesn't work. I sure hope so because those clips sound {censored}ing sweet.

Did you get it to work with pins 5 and 7?

• Members

Pin 5 and 7 confirmed.

I don't think one should focus on the fact that there is a 4558 in there (although it might not work with another type chip) but on the fact the tone control is (and how it is) connected on those 2 IC pins.

Worth diving into al little more to determine if the effect can be controlled (at least 1 full octave available for a setting).

My drummer is going to kill me for this. He didn't like my horny pregnant snail chorus setting either.....:rolleyes:

but other than that,

WICKED!

Just turned a TS5 into a TS f#ck^d :D

• Members

It sure is a cool sounding mod - there are 2 problems with it, though, which are making me debate how useful it is -

1 - very little range - yeah, it will generate a large range of tones if you are tweaking the knobs, but if you are playing the guitar to control it, you can get half an octave at most

2 - the sound never stops - if you stop playing, it keeps making noise. It is just a constant tone. Bummer.

If this thing had a wider range (1-2 octaves), and would stop making noise when you stopped playing, I would use it for sure. Now I am not so sure about what to do with it... Maybe I will just get a moog ring mod and forget about it completely :cool:

• Members

Well to stop the noise you could wire up a DPDT stomp switch and that would turn on the mod when you were playing and wanted wierd noise and hitting it again would turn of the noise, make it a perfectly usable tube screamer, and would be fun :)

Archived