Bands that are/were truly talentless

jcn37203

• Members

I view this as the "Musically talented" question. Yeah a lot of bands have a great talent for self-promotion and getting huge, but they lack the ability to play and create. Look and see who created their songs, if not them, then you can guess they lack the talent to write good songs. If live they can not play and sing, then you can say they lack playing talent. Together, they are a talentless band.

Bardo Pond has some brilliant songs, and I would assume live are hit and miss, sometimes because of too many hits.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by jdwinger

I'm still dgin the Book of Love call (excellent call on that)

I don't want to be too harh though

cheesy sounds and no talent I think are part of their whole deal
;)
...seriously though - it wouldn't be half as good....if it were good
:confused:

I suppose they didn't even have lemons..so they made some Country Time lemonade style drink product

I admit I liked their two songs from the 80s, they were fun and cheesy. But they just couldn't even do that live. That really was the bummer. I respect one hit wonders, because heck I haven't gotten that level of fame yet.

• Members

I think the only talent that really counts is innovation, originiality, whatever you want to call it. There are waaay too many bands that couldn't play their instruments but made amazing music. I don't think it's about technical proficiency, it's sound (which doesn't have to come from thousands of dollars worth of equipment), creating interesting patterns, interesting song structures, improvisation, putting everything you've got into it and experminetation - two of the most 'musical' qualities a band can have in my opinion. Alot of bands HAD to come up with interesting songs or sound settings because they couldn't afford a big studio and producer or couldn't play complex chords or over-the-top solos. People learned to use noise as a part of their music, or make it a more sub-conscious thing rather than a sonic-engeneering project, which rings truer to what music means, I think. Don't get me wrong, being able to play or knowing more than two scales definately is probably better than not, but I don't think that this necessarily falls under talent. Talent would be a good/interesting implementation of whatever range of technique you have.

• Members

Originally posted by Herr Masel

I think the only talent that really counts is innovation, originiality, whatever you want to call it. There are waaay too many bands that couldn't play their instruments but made amazing music. I don't think it's about technical proficiency, it's sound (which doesn't have to come from thousands of dollars worth of equipment), creating interesting patterns, interesting song structures, improvisation, putting everything you've got into it and experminetation - two of the most 'musical' qualities a band can have in my opinion. Alot of bands HAD to come up with interesting songs or sound settings because they couldn't afford a big studio and producer or couldn't play complex chords or over-the-top solos. People learned to use noise as a part of their music, or make it a more sub-conscious thing rather than a sonic-engeneering project, which rings truer to what music means, I think. Don't get me wrong, being able to play or knowing more than two scales definately is probably better than not, but I don't think that this necessarily falls under talent. Talent would be a good/interesting implementation of whatever range of technique you have.

wow, i have no idea what this paragraph is about.

your first sentence is bull{censored}, btw. originality is overrated.

• Members

Not to get into it so much, but...

Do you really think rapping is as skillful as being a singer?

And I don't mean writing the words, in either case.

I mean you would put Sinatra's singing talent against Eminem's rapping talent and say they are equal in the skill level?

Seriously?

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

I mean you would put Sinatra's singing talent against Eminem's rapping talent and say they are equal in the skill level?

Seriously?

I wouldn't do that any more than I woud put Paul Bocuse's talent as a chef against Ricky Hatton's talent as a boxer.

Where's your platinum rap record, if it's so easy to make so much money as a rapper?

And what do you have against rap? I like all kinds of music, and I don't feel any need to spend days trying to convince strangers that skilled people have no skill. That's a real question -- I would love to know why this means so much to you.

• Members

Originally posted by fuzzy4dice

Do you really think rapping is as skillful as being a singer?

And I don't mean writing the words, in either case.

I'll put the rhythmic delivery and spontaneous imagery of a talented MC against some of the better poets I've studied under any day.

And I'm talking people who won the Iowa Prize from University of Iowa's poetry program (very prestigeous, for those lucky enough not to be poets).

Some of the underground and mainstream hip-hop is beautiful to listen to. They play with rhythm, diction, tone, half-rhymes, and slang with more skill than most working with similar mediums.

Rockers can learn a lot from hip-hop lyrics, because hip-hop MC's are the ones who are doing true innovation in the field of lyricism. Rock lyrics are getting pretty old and stale these days.

Just my opinion, of course.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Kiss

bro KISS invented rock!

now i would say "the streets" are talentless and retarded

all the stuff on mtv is crap!!!!!!!!!

white stripes are just below avarage (bad guitar sound on the new stuff if it wasnt bad allready)

all the nick cave wannabes suck

all the pj harvey wannbes are arse

and most if not all of the historical representation croud are just plain DULL !

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

I wouldn't do that any more than I woud put Paul Bocuse's talent as a chef against Ricky Hatton's talent as a boxer.

this is a bogus argument. in the instances of his example, eminem and sinatra, both are being evaluated musically.

• Members

Originally posted by gethsemane

are you telling me that all the beatles did was prep work?

yes i am.

kiss invented rock as we know it

beatles invented shoegaze

sabbath invented metal

deepurple invented neoclassical

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Where's your platinum rap record, if it's so easy to make so much money as a rapper?

And what do you have against rap? I like all kinds of music, and I don't feel any need to spend days trying to convince strangers that skilled people have no skill. That's a real question -- I would love to know why this means so much to you.

First of all, a boxer and a chef have nothing in common. Rappers and Singers both use their lungs and mouths to get across words.

Who said anything about it being easy to make money as a rapper? I said I don't really think rapping is the big skill that it's made out to be nowadays.

I don't like rap. Is that ok? I'm just saying that I don't recognize rap as a skill in the same league as a singer, or other instrumentalist.

It doesn't mean that much to me. This is a discussion board, and I was trying to have a discussion. I'm not trying to change your mind, I'm merely voicing my own feelings and opinons in an effort to have a discussion.

Who knows, if you had suggested I listen to some rap that would really turn my head around you might have actually done something postive in this discussion instead of compare CHEFS to BOXERS!

So...what's good? Let' start a new thread on this. Or maybe even a poll.

Archived