Any suggestions for Vox AC30 OD?

• Members

Sorry, I'm sure it's been asked a million times, but I'm really stuck.

I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 and a DOD 250 (neither are making the grade and thought about getting them modded). I just switched back to using the normal channel instead of the brilliant channel on the AC30. My two main guitars are both equipped with humbuckers and I use a D*A*M MK II for leads.

The research I've done has pointed me towards the following - OCD, COT 50, Hotcake, BJF Emerald Green Distortion Machine or Honey Bee and a few others.

My band kind of has a retro 'Live at Leeds' sound.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• Members

I strongly recommend the COT 50 (as well as its cousins the Fab 50 and the Woody... and probably the new Lovepedal two-stage thing, the Deuce). I especially like these pedals for single coils guitars such as Teles and Strats. The main reason why these do so well is because they clean up so well... meaning you can really dial in various shades of dirt, without sacrificing tone. I've found no other pedal(s) can do it as well... although Teahead and others tell me that the Keeley Fuzzhead excels at this.

Also definitely worth considering: the Catalinbread SCOD. More distortion than overdrive, but if you're doing Live at Leeds -- you will love this pedal. Maybe not a Hiwatt to a tee, but I think there's more than just a coincidence that this pedal is colored Orange.

As for low-cost alternatives, there are plenty that sound great with the AC30, especially in the Normal channel. The Rocktron Austin Gold was my favorite; but a regular Rat and a SD-1 also sounds great... the modded versions even better. In fact, I'm currently using my self-modded Rat II as my "lead" pedal. Screaming!

The Keeley BD-2 also is wonderful... in fact, a lot of pedals are, really... the only ones to avoid are the TS clones, as they really make the amp way too middy, even for those of us who like middy and boxy.

So, what am I using now? I find with HB-equipped guitars I really like just boosting the hell out of the preamp with my Baron Booster... a full-range germanium booster. Slam the preamp, and turn the master to about 12 oclock, and wham some instant rawk. I also use another booster to slam the front of my Baron to get its trannies cooking... and that also results in a great, almost Stooges Funhouse tone. Sort of fuzzy, and sizzly, but not an artificial way.

• Members

Most anything can sound great in the normal channel. The Brilliant channel is tricker, but I'm getting great results with a Menatone Fish Factory. I also keep a THD Hotplate in line, so my amp is overdriving a little on it's own and the highs are being smoothed/compressed.

• Members

Originally posted by Weatherbox

Most anything can sound great in the normal channel. The Brilliant channel is tricker, but I'm getting great results with a Menatone Fish Factory. I also keep a THD Hotplate in line, so my amp is overdriving a little on it's own and the highs are being smoothed/compressed.

That is why I switched back to the normal channel. I found that the brilliant channel was really messing with my effects.

Still so many pedals to chose from... :D

I'm really impressed with the SCOD clips.

• Members

Haven't had much luck with the COT50 on the Vox. Kinda' bright and a tad noisy, compresses a lot when turned up.

I did like the COT50 on a Marshall tho'.

The Menatone OD's are cool into AC30's, depends on the level of gain you're looking to get out of the pedal. Red Snapper, TBIAC are great thru the Normal channel or the Top-Boost depending on settings.

The Vox Cooltron overdrive (new tube-powered series) sounded very good into a Korg AC30 I played it thru at a gtr. store. I wish I'd had the cash available for it.

• 3 months later...

Archived