Please tell me about small fender tube amps.

jo_to

• Members

Hello! I want a lovely little old Fender amp for recording and practice purposes...

There seem to be so many different models (blues, pro, champ etc etc) and i have no idea what differentiates these amps. I know this is OT but i doubt i'd get any help in the amp forum...

So, care to help a brutha out?

• Members

Hi there, you may be in luck because I have a Fender Blues Jr going spare now because my Orange AD15 has just arrived today. The BJ is absolutely mint and still in it's original box. These amps, along with the Pro Jr, are highly regarded and make ideal practice and recording amps. I'd be interested in doing some swap deal with those pedals in your sig. Let me know if you are interested :)

• Members

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

Pro Jr. 15W through a 10" speaker.

Blues Jr. 15W thorugh a 12" speaker. Might break up sooner than the pro. I think the Jr's are all el84? 6BQ5.

Champ - old silverface/blackface 6W 8" speaker 6V6 output tubes.

More recent champs when up in wattage and speakersize.

The link given above will let you compare spec's.

• Members

Originally posted by freeRadical

Blues Jr. 15W thorugh a 12" speaker. Might break up sooner than the pro. I think the Jr's are all el84?

From my experiences with Pro Jrs and Blues Jrs, the Blues Jrs definitely have greater clean head room than the Pro Jrs (probably due to the larger speaker) and I find they break up at higher volumes. Either way both are great amps.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeztastic

Does the Blues Junior do the really glassy clean Fender sound? I know the 15watts restricts headroom, but at low volumes...

I am looking at a contrast to my class A EL84 amp.

Hi Jez, oh yes, the BJ has superb clean sounds for a 1X12 combo. I sometimes link it up to a Marshall 2x12 cab with V30s and the cleans are brilliant. For me, the BJ's cleans at low volumes are very hard to beat. I'm only offering one of my BJs cos I actually have 3 of them as I like them so much (2 regular BJs and one Custom Woody Jr) and I just got an Orange AD15. Can't justify having them all.

• Members

Pro Jr.

15 watts, 10" speaker. Great for practice, but too loud to be a bedroom amp. It will be too loud if you want it to break up naturally so you will need a good overdrive. Luckily it handles pedals really well. You might even be able to gig it in a small venue. I recommend it based on what you get for the price.

• Members

Cool. I really want to team up my Traynor in stereo with somthing with amazing cleans. The Traynor sounds really good with early breakup and 'dirty' cleans, but I really want something with big bottom end and clarity as well.

Basically I miss having a stereo setup!

• Members

Originally posted by KjStrat62

I have a Fender 63 RI Vibroverb.2x10's Brown tolex. I would not go without it again. I had a Marshall half stack for years. Fender amps are cool!!

How loud is that baby? Take OD pedals well?

• Members

The 3 main contenders breakdown:

Pro Jr 15 watt 2x El84 valves 10" speaker
Controls: Volume and tone

Blues Jr 15 Watt 2 x El84 valves 12" speaker + Spring reverb
Controls: Reverb, Master Volume, High, Mid, Low, FAT switch (footswitchable) and Volume (i.e. Gain)

Champ 6 watt 6V6 valve 8" speaker
Controls: Bass, Treble and Volume

I'd recommend any of these amps as they are all great. But if you want the best clean headroom, reverb and comprehensive EQ, check out my Blues Jr
;):D

• Members

Blues JRs have the same look as the hotrod series. I love that look btw. Supersharp amps. So what would be the sonic differences in a hotrod deville and a blues jr.?

As many of you know I like the Deville, It's just a bit too much of an amp for me for my current needs.

Main thing I'm concerned about is the 6l6 glassy clean tone like Jez is talking about. I'm not really interested in breakup.

• Members

Mr. Thelonius,
The HR Deville's are 60w, typically with 4x10" speakers. They had a nice shimmering clean tone that was more midrang-y when compared to a HR Deluxe and a Bassman RI 4x10". The Deluxe had better low end. The HR Deluxe was similar to the Bassman RI that I ended up buying. I personally preferred the Bassman clean tone over that of the Twin or other Blackface RI's such as the Vibro Verb/Sonic's. The clean tone was my primary concern and I even thought the Bassman compared favorably with an AC30 clean, even at lower volumes.

The Deville's come with a 2x12" configuration that might have a better (fuller) tone. But you might want to try out the HR Deluxe. Even though it wasn't a 6L6 amp I also liked the clean tone of a "Tweed" Pro. Jr. with my Tele, but wasn't able to compare it against the others.

• Members

Originally posted by freeRadical

Mr. Thelonius,

The HR Deville's are 60w, typically with 4x10" speakers. They had a nice shimmering clean tone that was more midrang-y when compared to a HR Deluxe and a Bassman RI 4x10". The Deluxe had better low end. The HR Deluxe was similar to the Bassman RI that I ended up buying. I personally preferred the Bassman clean tone over that of the Twin or other Blackface RI's such as the Vibro Verb/Sonic's. The clean tone was my primary concern and I even thought the Bassman compared favorably with an AC30 clean, even at lower volumes.

The Deville's come with a 2x12" configuration that might have a better (fuller) tone. But you might want to try out the HR Deluxe. Even though it wasn't a 6L6 amp I also liked the clean tone of a "Tweed" Pro. Jr. with my Tele, but wasn't able to compare it against the others.

Thanks! I'm using the Deville 4x10. I really liked the sound of the 4x10 better than the 2x12 version for what I was doing.

Archived