How many synths do you own?

Awake77

• Members

Two keyboards: Triton Extreme and Novation X Station- both 61 keys

Three modules: XV3080/Tx81z/AN200

FM7 and few freebie synths like Crystal/Superwave/mini and arp clones don't really use these much.

Triton gets 85% of playtime. then Novation.

I never record anything just save some midifiles.

I have Five electric guitars too. 3 Carvin TL60's, an LP and an ASAT. I only play the newest one.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Short Answer:

1 Hardware

5 Software

Long Answer:

Hardware:

Blacet/Wiard (soon to contain Cyndustries, Magic Smoke, Banalogue, MOTM) modular synth.

Software:

AudioRealism Bassline
Novation V-Station
Native Battery 2
E-Phonic Drumatic

(I actually have a few other software synths laying around, but after doing a recent reinstall of my OS, I've only installed the ones I needed.)

I'm going to go a wee bit beyond the scope of this thread as well, and add effects.

Hardware Effects:

TC Electronics M-One-XL

Software Effects:

Various Waves plugs

• Members

Originally posted by The Real MC

14 hardware, zero softsynths.

I've been thinning down the pile the last couple of years (too much stuff). Softsynths aren't quite as good as the real thing, but every year they're getting better.

Same here. Reached a point where it wasn't even fun anymore having more synths than I could touch in a month. That taught me a good lesson in workflow.

• Members
Originally posted by Don Solaris

Why you have them both?

One of the best sounding digital synths! Can stand right next to JD. I will never sell my TG-33.

This will not happen. Only 50 exist on the whole planet.

In last 12 months i saw just one on eBay. The price was not so big.... about 450 EUR. But the funniest thing, once you get the rack, you realize you are in problems. You can not leave Fizmo in some rack on the other side of the studio, as it is a type of synth you need tweak all the time. Therefore, you need it right next to keyboard. And the most simple solution is getting a Fizmo keyboard version.
:)

XV3080 is really 32khz thicker/play back jv patches more correcetly and to host my 4 of my 5 SRjv (one will be going), xv5050 is 44khz open top end, thinner, SRX play back in 44khz

TG33 is cold but very spacy overall ! jd990 is warm/big/spacy, in a busy mix.... really have to thin it out quite a bit

50 fizmo rack?? only? really?

i try not to have more than 12 hardware synths, as i only have 24inputs, so i can mix easily before bounch every synths into waves... and all my synths are around me without turning more than 100 degress from my master keyabord~

might back to 16inputs as my PC can't handle 2X UAD-1, 1 powercore, 3x 8in8out converter all max out at the sametime... without losing sync.... :freak:

• Members
Originally posted by dxdreamer

XV3080 is really 32khz thicker/play back jv patches more correcetly and to host my 4 of my 5 SRjv (one will be going), xv5050 is 44khz open top end, thinner, SRX play back in 44khz

TG33 is cold but very spacy overall ! jd990 is warm/big/spacy, in a busy mix.... really have to thin it out quite a bit

50 fizmo rack?? only? really?

i try not to have more than 12 hardware synths, as i only have 24inputs, so i can mix easily before bounch every synths into waves... and all my synths are around me without turning more than 100 degress from my master keyabord~

might back to 16inputs as my PC can't handle 2X UAD-1, 1 powercore, 3x 8in8out converter all max out at the sametime... without losing sync....
:freak:

dxdreamer, is that you on the avatar?

• Members

Originally posted by dxdreamer

Actually SRX is 32 kHz due to fact that most of SRX contain SR-JV card waveforms.

About Super JV and JV patches on 3080 vs 5050... well this is first time i hear. Where are those differences? If you were thinking about real JV series (JV-80,90) then you need to halve the resonance value due to different filter. If patch ABC had Reso:80, on XV you need to put it to 40.

However, Super JV patches should sound exactly the same. For example, on a saw wave, the only difference can be in notes above C4, where 5050's 44.1kHz kicks in, while 3080 gets dark. I did some tests using spectrograms when comparing 44.1k JD-990 Saw2 wave vs 32k 5080 JDSaw2 wave (which are the same).

• Members
Originally posted by Don Solaris

Actually SRX is 32 kHz due to fact that most of SRX contain SR-JV card waveforms.

About Super JV and JV patches on 3080 vs 5050... well this is first time i hear. Where are those differences? If you were thinking about real JV series (JV-80,90) then you need to halve the resonance value due to different filter. If patch ABC had Reso:80, on XV you need to put it to 40.

However, Super JV patches should sound exactly the same. For example, on a saw wave, the only difference can be in notes above C4, where 5050's 44.1kHz kicks in, while 3080 gets dark. I did some tests using spectrograms when comparing 44.1k JD-990 Saw2 wave vs 32k 5080 JDSaw2 wave (which are the same).

at first i got the impression that JV1080 sound cleaner and more opened than jd990 becaue jd990 has huge warm button end in many of the patches

i however havn't run 990 thru specton analizer yet, but did it with xv5050 and 3080
i dont really know if all SRX are 44 or 32 but then maybe it's because 5050 process at 44k interally. i get to see more rising movement after 16k on the specton, with its interanl sound and SRX 09.

and comparing xp30/jv1080 with XV3080, xv3080 is a little bit thinner in the button end and many patches seems to sound more opened with slightly wider image, the reverb do seem to be more fitting and some samples are different. xp30 seems to have a more upfront characteristic which i will miss it

so yeah, theres the reason why many people still keeping a jv1080/2080 in their studio~

wysiwyg:
"dxdreamer, is that you on the avatar?"

:love: i would like to dress up like it~

BillyWa:
creppy? haha

• Members
Originally posted by Texas Noise Factory

let's see.

7 keyboard

5 rack

8 module

1 airsynth

4 sampler

See sig (plus the Boss DR-110, and the remix 16 sampler my wife owns...)

All hardware I guess...

:freak:

:love: would love to see ur uptodate pics!

• Members

Being primarily a guitarist, my list is fairly small...

3 hardware modles: Roland SC-7, Roland SC-55, Yamaha TX-81Z

3 controlers: Roland A-30 76key, M-Audio Oxygen 49, M-Audio Axiom 25

2 softsynths: Reason and Rebirth

This doesn't count a few various free soft synths, especially since I don't use them.

Wishlist: Some type of decent, but cheap groove box, some type of analog hardware module, ReMote SL Zero

These days space is a primary concern.

• Members
Originally posted by scenicsquare

you sir, have the most interesting collection of synthesizers i have ever seen on this forum.

Really? I think Pighood's collection is 1000x better.

Oh my god! Did I just give Mssr. Snortdom props?!? :confused:

• Members

Don!!!!

You have a TS-10. Excellent, havent seen one of those buggers for a while.

Played one some time ago. Very nice sound. Makes me miss my VFX.

btw that 'sea of synths' picture is superb. You should blow it up real big and have it on your wall.

I used to be a Graphic Designer and did a similar idea once for a project i was working on. Wish id kept the artwork.

:cool:

• Members

HW: Xp-30, Procussion, TX-802, Handsonic.

SW: Reason 2, Logic Pro, and Reaktor 5, which blows the curve completely.

Reaktor is a good cure for GAS, I get a few new instruments from the user forums every month. Some are inspirational, some are Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, but I love it.

"I need synths - lots of synths." "But Funky, no one has tried making music like this before." "That's why it's going to work." Gah, I am such a huge nerd...:D

Archived