Foxrox Octron Vs. Rastop Super Divider

• Members

Telepaul and I decided to do a little two week swap to get to try out each others octave pedals... his showed up yesterday and I got a rare opportunity to really run it through the ringer last night. Here's what's up:

Ease of Use:

Both pedals are pretty easy to use once you get the hang of them. The Rastop definately takes a little more time with the additional knobs and switches, but it's all pretty intuitive if you're familiar with what the pedals do. While I would say there is almost no learning curve on the Foxrox, there is definately a little more exploring to be done with the Rastop before you're really pulling it off.

Features:

The Rastop KILLS the Foxrox in term of flexibility... whereas the Foxrox has blendable octave up and octave down, the Rastop has two very interactive octave downs, a nice sounding fuzz to throw into the mix, a switch to change the octave down, and a switch to throw a little octave up into the mix (not blendable). I love the Octron, but would be lying if I said the Rastop didn't have many more distinct tones hidden in it. Also, whereas the Octron offers a moderate volume boost if you want it, the Rastop gets crazy loud. I think I was at unity at 10:30.

Tracking:

I've got to give this one to Foxrox, hands down. I tried both pedals with several different guitars/amps and the Octron just plain tracked faster over a much larger portion of the neck. The Rastop was more erratic and was easy to get to decay in a really nasty (read "not good") way. Please note that with REALLY clean playing the Rastop is certainly manageable, just not nearly as forgiving as the Foxrox... also, the octave divides seemed much more contolable on the foxrox, whereas on the rastop it sort of did its own thing.

Tone:

This is what really matters... and there isn't a definate winner. Let me address the stregths and weaknesses of both:

Octron- Very usable octave up and down that sound both distinct from but tied to the original note played. Octaves react realistically to playing sensitivity and decay naturally and beatifully. Definately sounds great clean and for subtle jazz/blues/rock stuff as well as noise. Sounds like God when you blend the original signal with the octave up and octave down correctly. Unfortunately, on its own it doesn't sound synthy like I was hoping it would... it really needs a fuzz and filters to sound its best.

Rastop-

Definately the analog synth pedal to be looking into. There is way more happening than a simple octave down... there's gating, distortion, and odd harmonics thrown in all over the place. This thing can sound like a mini Microsynth all on its own off of 9 volts... pretty crazy. Unfortunately, it is a bit less stable and much more sensitive than the foxrox, and the octave mixes don't lend themselves well to dynamic responce. Yes, it can sound like a moog on the rag, but no, it can't sound like a clean bass doing a bebop walking line.

In short, these are two very different pedals. The Rastop wins hands down for fans of synths and noise, but really fans short in clean applications and as a subtle enhancement. The Octron really shines as a clean, subtle addition to a solid rig but doesn't deliver the noise and mojo of the Super Divider... it's much too polished and polite. If Imoney weren't an issue, I'd gladly own both as they are really that different.

• Members

Originally posted by cmloeffler

Rastop-

Definately the analog synth pedal to be looking into. There is way more happening than a simple octave down... there's gating, distortion, and odd harmonics thrown in all over the place. This thing can sound like a mini Microsynth all on its own off of 9 volts... pretty crazy. .

Officially interested now. How much?

• Members

What up Chris? I got the octron today and just got back from a rehearsal where i got to check it out.

I'll throw in my review/comparison soon but for now suffice it to say we're on the same page. The octron is easier to use on the fly but the rastop definitly has the analog synth thing going on. (I had a microsynth btw. I think the rastop kills it. Not as many parameters to tweak obviously but the Rastop's sound is just more convincing.)

My Rastop is blue much like Lou weed's. (We seem to be having more and more in common. How many people have a super divider-in blue no less-and have actually heard of the grifters and polvo?:D )

Anyway-the Rastop can be found at

www.rastopdesigns.com

B'more tele turned me on to his stuff; I also have his phaser/vibe with auto wah filter option on my board. I think i may check out one of his distortion units as well.

Even though the Octron is going to be more gig friendly and user friendly the ability to blend i octave down, 2 octaves down and fuzz and clean signal plus make the Rastop it's own thing.

Do you guys have to roll your guitar's tone off and use the neck pickup to make the rastop really happen? i find i do. I definitly agree that you have to be fairly precise in your playing with the Rastop. i don't think it's so much that the Octron tracks better; it's just hella more forgiving. You have to work at that rastop; the octron is much more plug and play is good for someone who wants a hendrix like octave up or a page fool in the rain type of thing. The Rastop is really an amazing pedal in a different way...

• Members

Originally posted by lou_weed

Excellent review!

I haven't tried the Octron, but I totally agree with your assessment of the Super Divider, which I originally bought to replace my oc-2, which it failed to do adequately, but at the same time cured my gas for the big ol' microsynth.

Yeah the octron really is like the OC-2 on steroids.

• Members

Bump. For the express purpose of burying all of the "I like my octron" threads that sporadically pop up with something useful.

If you want an OC-2 or 3 on steroids get the Octron.

If you always wanted a microsynth and were dissapointed by the fact it sounded like {censored} get th Rastop.

I think Chris nails the differences pretty well in hs original post. It's really a lot more of an "apples to oranges" comparison then either of us thought. They are both pretty addicting.

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

I'm thinkin' about buying an octron Chris...You thinkin' about buying a rastop?

Definately am... I love the Octron and what it does to no end, the Rastop is just so damned different. When we did the swap I was so sure that I'd never need or want two expensive octave dividers on my board.... damn, I think I was wrong. I'm getting some killer synth sounds out of your Rastop!!! Maybe it will get "lost in the mail" on its way back to you!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by telepaul

Do you guys have to roll your guitar's tone off and use the neck pickup to make the rastop really happen?

I usually keep my tone controls up pretty high, and that hasn't really given me problems with the SD, but I never use the bridge pickup with it. Way better with the neck.

• Members

I've got the octron and a microsynth. I was hoping the octron would do more of the synthy stuff, so I was dissapointed on that front. But I love it as an octavia clone, with the mode set properly, the gain turned up a hair, it just screams. And the coolest part is being able to dial in a little lower octave. It's awesome. So on that front alone I'm gonna keep it, but I may try the rastop for more synthy magic.

• Off Topic Exile

Originally posted by gearnut

I've got the octron and a microsynth. I was hoping the octron would do more of the synthy stuff, so I was dissapointed on that front. But I love it as an octavia clone, with the mode set properly, the gain turned up a hair, it just screams. And the coolest part is being able to dial in a little lower octave. It's awesome. So on that front alone I'm gonna keep it, but I may try the rastop for more synthy magic.

Rastop+Envelope Filter=:eek:

• 1 month later...

Archived