KLON CENTAUR or FULLTONE FULLDRIVE 2 or BOTH?

Daneswede1

• Members

I am going to buy the KLON CENTAUR off of Ebay or from BIll Finnegan ( The man who builds KLON 0 eight to ten week back order and build time waiting list!) HEnce the possible Ebay purchse!

Anyway, a buddy of mine RANTS and RAVES about the FULLTONBE FULLDRIVE and he owns both. Both of us run through the JCM 800 ( A benchmark amp for running gain pedals thru the front IMO). Ok, I am gonna try the FULLTONE FULLD. Through my rig this weekrend or whatever and see for myself. THe first thing is what tyoe of music I play and versatility of each pedal. I know the the KLON can do the Clean Boost thing and do it WELL! AS well It wil ldrive your amp into suatainiac heaven and it WONT COLOR your sound at all IMO! Two ecellent reasons to get the KLON. I have ownec/ played through many a gain pedal and this KLON is by far one of the most well built best soundign I have heard - EVER 1 DSO yourself a favor. Check it out and buy one ( Granted you need to shell out $350 for a new one or a vcintage one on Ebay will put you back $500 bucks roughly!

The FULLTONE FULLDRIVE 2(NEw version with the Compcut switch):

This pedal just looks cool in its powder blue tank like housing. hat is stupid but onto the tone. This I know NOTHING ABOUT! I will check it out in a few days from now when I have my buddy who sold me the TC G Force already dialed in we are gonna set up a killer MIDI foot controller with it(12 switches and two expression to move values etc)

Anyway, HE says the FULLTONE FULLDRIVE 2 is more of a 70s tone. HE personally loves to run it through his clean amp ( A 65' reissue Fender Twin Reverb I sold him! LOL) An awesome amp at that! and another benchmark amp to run drive units through. Especially considering the fact that the Fender is a 100% totally clean amp. No drive! Interesting FACT that it possess four - count them - four PREAMP 12ax7s to drive the clean power along with like 6 power tubes or some {censored}! A lot of tubes going on here. A great tool! He channel switches his JCM800 circa 1985 combo 32 x 12" with his Fender twin 65' reissue. A nice setup indeed!

He claims the FULLTONE FULLDRIVe gives hima Stevie Ray Caughn tone thru the Fender. My gig is wanting to run her thru the Marhsall

I nsummation of this long RANT with many many spelling errors. I dont care I type to fast ! Flag it!Im gonna buy both probably and just have them in the collection

So there you have it

KLON CENTAUR- GMakes a good amp sound GREAT - makes a big amp sound BIGGER - also no coloration - great clean boost with no additional gain from the pedal -remember it will sound like your getting more distortion but thatrs your amp singing to you ! A beautiful thing!

FULLTONE=?????????????????????????????????

• Members

Originally posted by Kestral

If you have a Marshall amp, for the money I'd get a vintage gray DOD 250 or an MXR Distortion II.

If you want best bang for the buck, the Boss SD-1 is the way to go.

All good choices as well. Eventually I will own them all. You see I am a PEdal whore! :)

The SD1 stock is good (ala Zakk Wylde with his JCM 800s 6550 tubes)

The SD1 mod Analogman is a nice setup. More bottom end slightly less harsh ness. Both are good.

The DOD 250 preamp pedal is very unique actually IMO. Driving it thru a Fender twin for instance will actually add a "PREAMP CIRCUIT" The FEnder Twin has no overdrive to it stock but DOES have thee 12ax7 tubes. SO when you drive the amp with e DOD 250 it will sound nice ,add another TS9 to it for added sustain if wanted as well.

• Members

I would use something else.The only pedals I like in front of JCM's are fuzz and a TS9 type pedal and that's just for boosting for solos.Now if you want gooose.Go with a Bad Bob Booster.They work very well and are way quiter then average boosters.I really liked the Baron Boost in front of one also.the cool thing is you can buy both of these for the price of one of those pedals your mentioning.

• Members

I would go with a ZIM before the Fulltone. The ZIM has replaced all my other drives except my Klon. With card changing and the ability to add other effects between the two drives, it's much more flexible than the Fulltone.

Lou

• Members

I had an early Klon, and it was great. I only had to pay $239.00 at the time and the turnaround was like 3-4 weeks. I just didn't use it enough to warrant keeping it so it's gone now. Nice pedal, but unless you have the $ for one nowadays, there are several cheaper alternatives, like a Fulltone Fatboost or Fulldrive (nice upgraded TS type pedal)both are great pedals and cheaper. I am using mostly a Hermida Zendrive, Reverend Drivetrain 2 and a Barber Direct Drive SS. All 3 of those together me cost less than one Klon on e bay!

• Members

If you have a Marshall amp, for the money I'd get a vintage gray DOD 250 or an MXR Distortion II.

If you want best bang for the buck, the Boss SD-1 is the way to go.

Ya gotta love the internet. You can get the advice of a keyboard player about a dirt pedal for an amp he's never owned. :confused:

• Members

I have and use a Fulldrive. It adds some grit without changing your tone too much, and it does it well. It doesn't have a lot of character IMO. I also find the boost feature only moderately useful, because unless you are using comp cut and maximum volume settings, the boost doesn't really "boost." It adds gain, but no volume. In situations with a full band, you can stomp on the boost and actually appear to get quieter!

My favorite overdrive these days is the Jekyll side of the Jekyll and Hyde. I never use the Hyde side at all. I basically bought the pedal, was disappointed with it, and stuffed it in the closet for five years. I guess tastes change, because now I find that the Jekyll side gives a nice smooth crunch with no loss of bass and no excessive mids.

• Members

Originally posted by Rob Eadgbe

Ya gotta love the internet. You can get the advice of a keyboard about a dirt pedal for an amp he's never owned.
:confused:

Ya gotta love the internet. You can get no advice from some schmuck in Vancouver who has an inferiority complex :rolleyes:

• Members

Rather than wading in with no knowledge of the Klon, I'd defer to others who do have the pedal and can give informed advice.

I have owned two vertical input JCM 800, and I'd probably still have one if I hadn't found the Laney AOR series amps to sound a bit better. The Laney AOR Pro Tube sounds very similar, to a JCM 800, just not as fizzy, and the Fulldrive sounds great with it. Even in non comp cut mode. It's a little half assed advice, but better coming from someone who's owned and played JCM 800's, and at least has an EL-34 power amp, as opposed to some guy with an AC-15TBX.

• Members

Inferior??? Hardly.
:rolleyes:

BTW, what part wasn't accurate?

The part where you forgot that I spend a lot of time in studios, mostly larger ones which have a collection of amps including Fender, Vox, Mesa Boogie, and oh yeah, MARSHALL.

• Members

The part where you forgot that I spend a lot of time in studios, mostly larger ones which have a collection of amps including Fender, Vox, Mesa Boogie, and oh yeah, MARSHALL.

If you're gonna dispense advice, at least preface it will ... well I don't own a JCM 800, but I've watched a lot of guys in the studios I hang out in...

Even then isn't it suspicious that you've recommend only pedals that you've owned. Like you're the god of tone. It was only a year and a half ago that you were starting "What's the best overdrive for my Vox" threads.

• Members

If you're gonna dispense advice, at least preface it will ... well I don't own a JCM 800, but I've watched a lot of guys in the studios I hang out in...

Even then isn't it suspicious that you've recommend only pedals that you've owned. Like you're the god of tone. It was only a year and a half ago that you were starting "What's the best overdrive for my Vox" threads.

Rob, go practice what you preach before you tell someone else what to do. I don't see you qualifying every post and comment you make. In fact, by your above standards, you run your mouth off like nobody's business.

If you want to qualify my posts, you go ahead and do it. I have neither the time nor the inclination. I prefer that you just don't read them. Please put me in your Ignore List. Goodbye.

• Members

Please put me in your Ignore List. Goodbye.

Ignore list... ....Done... Please put me on yours. Then we can coexist peacefully. I too do not gladly suffer fools....

I defy anyone to do a search of all my posts to prove this idiots point. I qualify almost everything. Mostly because I only dispense advice when and where I can help.

I guess bringing up the "best OD for my Vox" stuff stung...

• Members

Ignore list... ....Done... Please put me on yours. Then we can coexist peacefully. I too do not gladly suffer fools....

I defy anyone to do a search of all my posts to prove this idiots point. I qualify almost everything. Mostly because I only dispense advice when and where I can help.

I guess bringing up the "best OD for my Vox" stuff stung...

Wow, ignorance truly knows no bounds :rolleyes:

And yeah, I discovered the answer to best OD for my Vox, and I did it myself without your useless flames and unqualified advice :rolleyes:

• Members

Wow, ignorance truly knows no bounds

Please...please go away, you insufferable twat.

The only reason your irrelevant hiney isn't on my ignore list, is because, when people make fun of you, I hate to miss any part of the joke.

• Members

Originally posted by us2bslim

Please...please go away, you insufferable twat.

You live in America, it's a free country. If you don't like it, tough titties. Put me on your ignore list. The fact that you wasted the time to even say the above proves you're an idiot. Why don't you go chase an ambulance :rolleyes:

• Members

I'll toy with you further, because you amuse me.

All of your posts...in total prove to me that you are a selfish inconsequential, little man. You lack the social skills to form longlasting meaningful relationships and you relish any opportunity (at least on these boards) to be socially inappropriate or juvenile.

You may be a studio guru. I don't care if you produced Sgt. Peppers. You are still a goon. Hands up....who thinks Kestral is a goon (hear the overwhelming roar of wind from the hands raising). Maybe this wouldn't matter if you had some other redeeming characteristics...I have yet to witness them.

You can call me ambulance chaser, you can call my children obscene names, you can call me a redneck. All of your assertions are ignorant, in the strictest sense of the word. The assertions, are so meaningless as to be beneath my contempt. More importantly, they demonstrate your infantile social skills. Go do some inner work, you could use it, but while you're at it, take your mind of your inner self, and focus on those around you. You might actually get somewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by SupernovaN2310

i'd take a klon over the fulldrive, but i'd take the maxon ds-830 over the klon.

These pedals are quite different from each other.

Regarding the Fulldrive, I did like mine, but preferred the Banzai Fireball 2.

And Banzai also has the Cold Fusion, which many people have compared to the Klon. I have never used a Klon so I can't compare them.

• Members

Just to stay on topic....I thought the comp cut mode on the FDII sounded tremendous on EL34 Marshall style amps. I've not played a Klon, so I don't know what to tell you there.

Truthfully, though, there are loads of boost pedals out there that sound really great with Marshalls. You ought to just enjoy yourself and buy and sell a few until you find the one, that you like best. You can be sure then, and have some fun while you're doing it.

Archived