Help me design a Tube Pedal

• Members

Hi guys,

Well, I'm working again on the tube pedal idea. It's been on the shelf for a while. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- 2 independant channels, each with gain, low, mid, high, and volume

- global presence and resonance.

- 4 outputs, 'To Preamp', 'To Poweramp', 'To Headphones' and 'To Mixer'

So far there are 2 footswitches, bypass, channel select. I can add another 2 footswitches. The question is, which feature would you consider to be most important:

1) A footswitchable volume boost

2) A footswitchable gain boost

3) A footswitchable series FX loop

The one with the least votes is out!

My initial thought was 1 and 2, especially for a live situation. You can stick other effects after the pedal anyway, so an FX loop isn't that necessary live. The only advantage of the FX loop is that it would come before the speaker simulator, so you could use your effects DI for late night recording,... but I don't expect this pedal be predominantly a 'recording studio' pedal. That feature is a 'nice to have'. Just my thoughts!

• Members

I voted for the volume boost switch also which from my POV is always preferable to another gain stage. Once I've found my sound I just want that sound louder when it comes to solo's ... usually more gain does nothing but muddy up the signal more.

Any chance we could get a built in stubby holder as well?

• Members

Hey Tiki,... don't you mean the kitchen sink?

4K, the tone stack is a different design. I've been playing around with tone stacks for a while now to try and find something which is interactive and passive, but at the same time giving you a wider range than the regular tone stacks. I've got a pretty funky design for the tone stack which give you about 20db of play in each band, which is about twice as much range as a 'Marhsall' tone stack. But I can configure the tone stack to work in the same frequency range as any of the traditional tone stacks. Another cool thing about this tone stack as well is that I've managed to decouple the midrange from the highs. Usually if you turn up the mids, you also turn up the highs. I found a way around that, which is nice,...

The 2 channels at the moment are 'british' and 'US'. The British has very solid mids. It's very articulate. The EQ on that is voiced similar to a traditional Marshall tone stack, but with more 'play'. The US is a bit higher gain, and a bit more 'recto', and has it's mids voiced higher with a big low and top end. Of course, it's also possible to customise the pedal. Maybe 2 US channels? Or 2 british channels with one if them using the US EQ,... lots of options.

• Members

Sounds great Mike ... I love the independant mids and highs concept, pretty vital stuff there for allot of people in terms of shaping and contouring tone. I must ask by the way, how did you get around the problem with the Neo Fuzz? I remember you saying it was a matter of going through each chip to get a stable sound for it?

• Members

I'm getting the impression that these enclosures are like $100 ea.:eek:

Just a thought, but John up here at BJ Amps gets custom steel, powder coated footswitches made for each of his amp models, and I don't think they're too pricey. He's also planning to make some pedal using the same casing maker I believe...may be you can get a better deal/option up here...instead of gay ol' Sydney.;)

Want me to ask him?

• Members

Originally posted by michael_ibrahim

Of course, it's also possible to customise the pedal. Maybe 2 US channels? Or 2 british channels with one if them using the US EQ,... lots of options.

Or a british Vox/Marshall and a US Fender Blackface/Tweed.

Many people don`t look for high gain channels, rather a wide sweet spot from boost to OD/dist.

• Members

Hi TIKI,

I test each transistor in the Neo for transconductance and leakage current. Next I place each pair of transistors into a test circuit and test the overall gain and operating points to make sure that each pedal will work within to within a certain tolerance.

Then I build!

Takes some time to do, but worth it for the consistancy and quality.

4K, yeah $100 aint too far off the mark! Thanks for the tip. I'd love to find somewhere more reasonable, but I don't want to hassel John. I fully understand that one's list of suppliers is to be guarded like gold,...

Threm,... the pedal is going to be called the 'Gainius Maximus' :D Besides, for lower gain amps like those you mentioned, a lot of the sound is also a function of the power amp. For higher gain, 'preamp heavy' sounds, they're much more feasible to do as a stand-alone preamp. I don't think that a stand-alone preamp could capture the 'class-A chime' of a vox for example,...

• Members

Threm,... the pedal is going to be called the 'Gainius Maximus'
:D
Besides, for lower gain amps like those you mentioned, a lot of the sound is also a function of the power amp. For higher gain, 'preamp heavy' sounds, they're much more feasible to do as a stand-alone preamp. I don't think that a stand-alone preamp could capture the 'class-A chime' of a vox for example,...

Cool, though regarding possible power-amp saturation in a pedal I have a Stephenson Stage Hog on order (backordered 12 weeks).

"The Stage Hog is a 1 watt, all-tube guitar amp that doubles as a distortion pedal and a practice amp. When used as a practice amp, the speaker out jack can be plugged into any type of guitar cabinet, even a 4x12. When used as a distortion pedal, the line out jack can be plugged into any guitar amp input. The Stage Hog

• Members

Hi guys,

Well, I'm working again on the tube pedal idea. It's been on the shelf for a while. Here's what I've come up with so far:

- 2 independant channels, each with gain, low, mid, high, and volume

- global presence and resonance.

- 4 outputs, 'To Preamp', 'To Poweramp', 'To Headphones' and 'To Mixer'

So far there are 2 footswitches, bypass, channel select. I can add another 2 footswitches. The question is, which feature would you consider to be most important:

1) A footswitchable volume boost

2) A footswitchable gain boost

3) A footswitchable series FX loop

The one with the least votes is out!

My initial thought was 1 and 2, especially for a live situation. You can stick other effects after the pedal anyway, so an FX loop isn't that necessary live. The only advantage of the FX loop is that it would come before the speaker simulator, so you could use your effects DI for late night recording,... but I don't expect this pedal be predominantly a 'recording studio' pedal. That feature is a 'nice to have'. Just my thoughts!

Wow, sounds a lot like a whole preamp! In fact the preamp for my amp is less complicated :D.

• Members

Hey Mistersuperfly,... that's the plan! Get a lot of preamp for your buck,... but then again, cold hard economics may very well get in the way. Who knows,...

I've whipped up a rough enclosure out of galvanised steel (only 0.5mm though, so not good for a production pedal). Hopefully I'll get to build the pedal in a few days in the enclosure, which will be a good indicator of how the final thing will perform.

Archived