Can someone tell me why the TB-303 is so EXPENSIVE??

• Members

there really isn't any 'accent' on the 101. could be done on the 202, but it's still not the same as the 303. 'higher state' is actually a pretty weak 'acid' track (see my edit above as well). i guess the 101/202 doesn't get as 'acidic' as the 303, which is what i meant by 'squelch'. there's definitely a more liquid quality to the sound of the 303. accent and slide are just another part of the equation.

EDIT: that's definitely not a 303 that he used in that track. Mr. synthmania, are you saying you don't know the obvious differences in sound between a 303 and a 101/202? :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Unfed

there really isn't any 'accent' on the 101. could be done on the 202, but it's still not the same as the 303. 'higher state' is actually a pretty weak 'acid' track (see my edit above as well). i guess the 101/202 doesn't get as 'acidic' as the 303, which is what i meant by 'squelch'. there's definitely a more liquid quality to the sound of the 303. accent and slide are just another part of the equation.

EDIT: that's definitely not a 303 that he used in that track. Mr. synthmania, are you saying you don't know the obvious differences in sound between a 303 and a 101/202?
:eek:

:D Well, I've had 303s and 909s for 15 years, so I think I know a thing or two about those two machines. I have (shock..) never owned an 808 or a 101, but I played both a few times.

but the acid line in "Higher State" is very similar to what you'd get running a 303 through distortion and wah-wah pedal.

This thread is making me want to dig out the "old beasts" from the top shelf and jam... now if I could find that SBX-80 to sync them...

• Members

Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

but the acid line in "Higher State" is very similar to what you'd get running a 303 through distortion and wah-wah pedal.

This thread is making me want to dig out the "old beasts" from the top shelf and jam... now if I could find that SBX-80 to sync them...

umm yeah, maybe you should. :) 'higher state' doesn't sound much like a 303 at all.

:freak:

• Members

i saw that, but it looks like you have to download a disc image and load it from that. is this easier than it sounds or did i just not look in the right place?

Yeah, I just did it a little while ago. It's kind of a pain in the ass cuz you need to have a torrent downloader, which I had to download one of those to get the file, then use disk utility to burn a disk image. The only downside to it is it runs on os9, so you need to have classic (which I did not have installed, which I had to install just to try Rebirth!) And after everything was said and done, the stupid software crackled and popped and only came out of the left channel. I don't know what's up with it but I think it's too old to dick around with if it has problems running on an OS X machine.

• Members

umm yeah, maybe you should.
:)
'higher state' doesn't sound much like a 303 at all.

:freak:

Again, I don't know what Josh Wink used for "Higher State". However, I said that the acid line sounds similar to a 303 "through distortion and waw-wah". And I'm about to prove my point:

I just got the 303, 909 and SBX-80 off the shelves and ran it through a guitar multieffect on which I prepared a patch that has both distortion and wah-wah. I tried to recreate the Higher State line but didn't put much effort in it so it's not exactly the same. But, click on the megaupload link below, and as you can see and hear in the realvideo file I just made, the sound is similar to that song.

Have you ever had a 303? :D

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T9MB3VHD

[bye]

:eek:

• Members

Originally posted by Paolo Di Nicolantonio

Unfed

did you ever watch my video above?

Paolo,

Video=good. Webhosting=blows. :rolleyes:

Sorry dude, that site was the pits just to download a small file. But the video was cool though; I like the use of the foot controller (and the bare foot!)

• Members

sorry, didn't see this before. just watched your clip. i see what you're saying, but i think there's still a big difference in the sound. what i was especially referring to is the part around 2:50 in 'higher state...' where it breaks into that ungodly screeching whistle. i guess if you've spent some time with a 101 or 202 you never forget that sound (?). sorry, didn't mean to sound so snooty about it.

but yeah, the 'real' video for 'higher state...' features a red SH-101 in all its glory with some neat-o time-lapse editing to make it look like the sliders are moving on their own. pretty cool, couldn't find it on YouTube though... :(

• Members

I'm actually running my 101 and 202 through the 303 filter of the Revolution. Not sure how authentic it all is, but it's squelchy and certainly sounds more interesting than the bare 101 sound.

As I mentioned earlier this precludes use of the Rev's internal sequencer or osc's, but the results are promising enough to experiment further.

• Members

Incidentally, I just stumbled on this thread at VSE - so it looks like I am right after all - it is a 303. Unless this guy is making it up. Yoozer is in the discussion too :D

Yoozer wrote:

futureworlder wrote:

Josh Wink "Higher State of Consciousness" (squelch-iest track ever written)

ok, i'll stop. ha. it's 3:03 am as i type this...

Wasn't this an SH-101?

nope. it was definitely a 303. Wink carried the little silver box around with him and played with it on flights, etc. making up patterns and saving them. the signature acid track in Higher State came as somewhat of a random accident, and when he got back to the studio, he layed the parts down. soon after recording it, a few days, i think, he accidentally dropped the 303, the batteries fell out, and the pattern was lost forever.

many years ago, i asked Josh how he managed to get the cutoff and resonance so damn high, and he told me that he opened up the back of the 303, and played with the trim pots on the PCB. too clever.

• Members

The acid trance and other dance-people just love the sound of the 303 just as much as any 1970 curmudgeon loves the sound of a Strat.

Consider that Strats (and Fenders in general) are overpriced even 'tho production has continued into the zillions over decades. 'Cause people love the sound and will pay for it, and don't want to mess around with some substitute. The limited production of the 303 makes up the rest of the markup.

I personally love the 303 sound, too (and the Strat sound for that matter). But if I had to choose, I'd take the Strat. ;)

nat whilk ii

• Members

Paolo - hmm, weird. no idea, but that sounds like complete bull{censored} to me. :) any 101/202 owner should know that sound pretty well, it's basically the sound of the 101 'red-lining'. if you're screwing around trying to do acid lines on a 101/202 you'll hit this ceiling quite a bit. you want it to go a bit higher into 303 territory, but it doesn't allow. i surely can't explain it the way i'd like to. i'll see if maybe i've got any old tapes laying around with something like this on it. any other 101/202 owners that could try replicating this sound?

and for some reason, Josh Wink doesn't seem like the type to go messing with trimpots inside a 303 - however that might sound. not saying he's a phony like Paul Oakenfold or anything, but still...

and why would he put a 101 in the video?

• Members

...many years ago, i asked Josh how he managed to get the cutoff and resonance so damn high, and he told me that he opened up the back of the 303, and played with the trim pots on the PCB. too clever.

is this same as the Devil Fish mod?

• Members

Originally posted by nat whilk II

'Cause people love the sound and will pay for it, and don't want to mess around with some substitute.

I find a G&L to be more a true Leo Fender guitar than a "Fender".

non-custom shop Strats are often poorly assembled, and unless you have ten guitars to choose from and/or really know some things about guitar construction there is a good chance you'll get an inferior guitar.

• Members

I am in the middle of my own "hugely extensive" mod of an x0xb0x...

^f_x0x_07032006.jpg

I have added 4 new pots, 4 switches, and am about to wire in 10 new 1/4" I/O jacks and two momentary switches. (This one also has custom bicolor LEDs for extra pimpitude)

Some of the mods are borrowed from the Devilfish, some are via the x0x builder community, and a few are completely original (my adjustable "envelope mutator" and gate-on mods). The sound is {censored}ing mental!

There is not a VST yet that can truly capture the nth degree of acidic mojo that the 303 or x0x can spoot forth... but it's like asking a connoiseur of anything about their tastes... ultimately there will be many substitutes that are "good enough" for the average Joe who couldn't tell the difference to begin with. But the keener your appreciation, of Acid synth or whatever, the fewer acceptable substitutes you will find. If it's worth it to you, it's not overpriced.

Archived