Metasonix Butt Probe

dZjupp

• Members

glad you liked the demo! it's just a small sampling of what the TX-2 can do. I've been actually using it with no input to make 'warm soft pad' samples...you can really do so much.

I can make a guitar sample for you, hopefully tonight but in the next day or two anyway. I'm a lot better on bass though... would bass be OK?

cheers

edit: oh yeah, it seems the price is the same everywhere. Try BigCityMusic or AnalogHaven. SongBird is the place to get it in Canada. I think they try to keep all their dealers selling at the MSRP, not sure if there's better deals to be had but I found the same price everywhere...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Honestly, I guess I can see why people like this thing, but I've heard several clips, and I'm in the "it sounds like total ass" crowd, and I don't mean that in a good way.

I can get better raunchy, disgusting noise distortion with my DS-1, add in some Hot Silicon fuzz and it really nasty.

Muff Wiggler, if you could provide some clips of this thing putting out such a wide variety of tones, I would love to hear them. Otherwise, I'm going to go on what I've heard myself so far, and say that the Butt Probe is an overpriced box of crap. Maybe thats what they were going for, and apparently people have bought the thing so more power to them.

• Members

Wilbo, do you not hear the synth arp being slightly fuzzed, then very fuzzed? it's almost dry at one point in the sample. The point is you can get everything from nauseating fuzz down to very subtle treatments.

I'll agree however - that like any sound - it's not gonna be for everyone. It happens to be a warm, interactive, lively and colorful sound I really really enjoy working with. It 'feels' and sounds very different from the 'quasi linear fizz' that transistor distortions do. I like both, but when you put them side to side, I like the TX-2's distortion much much more. Sorry but it doesn't "sound like ass" to me in any way. The Behringer preamp that I just got my friend to throw out sounded like ass.

How we perceive a sound is one of the most subjective things in the world - that's why i'm glad there are so many options in the marketplace, and especially happy when I find new tones and colors, like in Metasonix.

I'm saving my pennies because I want more of their gear. I can only imagine how incredible the VCO must be. At this point I'm convinced that it will be of the highest quality and sound incredible....plus I'm very curious to see how nice a Metasonix product can be when it ISN'T marketed as 'crap' :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Muff Wiggler

glad you liked the demo! it's just a small sampling of what the TX-2 can do. I've been actually using it with no input to make 'warm soft pad' samples...you can really do so much.

I can make a guitar sample for you, hopefully tonight but in the next day or two anyway. I'm a lot better on bass though... would bass be OK?

cheers

edit: oh yeah, it seems the price is the same everywhere. Try BigCityMusic or AnalogHaven. SongBird is the place to get it in Canada. I think they try to keep all their dealers selling at the MSRP, not sure if there's better deals to be had but I found the same price everywhere...

i believe you are better on bass.. ;) but for i play guitar it would be cool if you could do a guitar clip anyway.. doesn't have to be top notch playing.. i don't either :D

just play 2 or 3 chords.. and show the range the probe interacts.. that would be really great!!!! thanks for your work!

• Members

what do you mean? like 'where's the stomp on/off' switch?

that would be the 'ream time' button in your pic (Mine says "Shove It!" instead of "Ream Time") - that's a bypass switch. There's a seperate power button (as you can see) so you can keep it warm and toasty even when it's in bypass mode.

• Members

Wilbo, do you not hear the synth arp being slightly fuzzed, then very fuzzed? it's almost dry at one point in the sample. The point is you can get everything from nauseating fuzz down to very subtle treatments.

I'll agree however - that like any sound - it's not gonna be for everyone. It happens to be a warm, interactive, lively and colorful sound I really really enjoy working with. It 'feels' and sounds very different from the 'quasi linear fizz' that transistor distortions do. I like both, but when you put them side to side, I like the TX-2's distortion much much more. Sorry but it doesn't "sound like ass" to me in any way. The Behringer preamp that I just got my friend to throw out sounded like ass.

How we perceive a sound is one of the most subjective things in the world - that's why i'm glad there are so many options in the marketplace, and especially happy when I find new tones and colors, like in Metasonix.

I'm saving my pennies because I want more of their gear. I can only imagine how incredible the VCO must be. At this point I'm convinced that it will be of the highest quality and sound incredible....plus I'm very curious to see how nice a Metasonix product can be when it ISN'T marketed as 'crap'
:thu:

I hear what you're saying man. Tone is subjective, and its even harder to tell if you're only going on sound clips from the internet.

I'm glad you like it so much. I've always been quick to tell anybody that if it works for you, go with it. I'll give the clips some more of a listen at least, they're certainly better than the first clip I heard, which was just awful. I would definatley be curious to hear more if anybody has them.

• Members

ok I will try to find a chance to crank out some chords tonight......i have 2 young kids and never know how my evenings will work out, but if it isn't tonight it'll be in the next day or two so stay tuned....

Sweet. I'm very curious now.

• Members

Is the synth line running the whole time? It seems like it just fades out a few times, is that because is stops playing or is that something the pedal is doing? Also, I would would just like to say those weird little squeaking noises sound pretty dang sweet, but I like the normal distortion on the synth as well.

• Members

the synth is repeating the arpeggio over and over 'till about halfway through the clip, at that point the sequencer is stopping (Butt Probe is 'holding' the last played note somehow), starting, stopping, starting... I wanted to get a sample of how the Butt Probe can hang onto and seemingly oscillate around the last note that came into it...

anyway after a few seconds of that stopping/starting, i leave the sequencer stopped thorugh the last 30 seconds or so of the clip, so you are only hearing butt probe at that point.

synth->butt probe-> preamp

the synth was a simple saw wave from VCO, through a LPF, into a VCA. No other effects or proccessing going on.

• Members

That is really cool. Now I am pretty interested to see if you can pull any good sounds out of it with guitar. Now I will ask you many annoying questions.
Did I understand you right when you said you have to use it in the loop of an amp?
Doesn't distortion usually sound like crap in a loop?
Also, do you use it through a clean amp?
Are you playing with the knobs on the pedal in the synth clip?

• Members

the synth is repeating the arpeggio over and over 'till about halfway through the clip, at that point the sequencer is stopping (Butt Probe is 'holding' the last played note somehow), starting, stopping, starting... I wanted to get a sample of how the Butt Probe can hang onto and seemingly oscillate around the last note that came into it...

anyway after a few seconds of that stopping/starting, i leave the sequencer stopped thorugh the last 30 seconds or so of the clip, so you are only hearing butt probe at that point.

synth->butt probe-> preamp

the synth was a simple saw wave from VCO, through a LPF, into a VCA. No other effects or proccessing going on.

So are you twisting the knobs around to manipulate the sound, or is that just what it naturally does? I'm assuming you're doing something to manipulate the noise.

Archived