Does anyone here own a pair of Dr. Martens?

Panopticon

• Members

i own three pairs, some 10 eye booths, some wingtips, and a pair of oxfords. they are respectively 12, 6, and 5 years old with no need of repair- amazing shoes.

however, i know they were recently bought by a much larger company and the cheaper shoes are no longer made in england, and i have heard reports that even the english ones arent as sturdy. that being said, check if they have the made in england stamp on the bottom, if so your probably ok.

• Members

I went to one store yesterday and, of course, they didnt have any of the ones I am looking at.

Thanks for the responses.

Do they run small/big?

I may snatch these from the internet.

Edit,

I am looking for some that are really comfortable, so I can get rid of these pumas. Ive worn sneakers for long enough. I need some change.

• Members
Originally posted by palthegiraffe

These were the type I wore:

9235-d.jpg

Yup ... had some myself. I also had the shoe version which were worn as generic work wear by my grandfather in England ... council worker shoes basically. I had mates who had the Cherry Docs ... they were also popular with the skins of the day.

• Members

Originally posted by TIKIROCKER

I had mates who had the Cherry Docs ... they were also popular with the skins of the day.

I liked those, but at that time in my life was afraid that wearing those would mark me as being associated with the neo-Nazis who harrassed my friends and I. These days, of course, I wouldn't even think of any such issues if I wanted to wear such things. Times change.

• Members

Yea, back in the day I wore a pair of doc martens to the point the soles were worn all the way thru... and the soles are 3/4" thick!

I think kids are staying away from dr martens now... not cool anymore. Or at least that is what my 16 year old cousin tells me.

;)

• Members
Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

I found some cool boots, but i have never owned a pair before. I am looking at these.

29368lg.jpg

Check out the Blundstones which are one of the the Aussie Boot version that Doc copied...they will outlast the Docs by years. Docs have gone way down in quality. I have a pair of blundstones that I have worn everyday for around 6 years and they are still going strong....and I walk alot.

blundstone -- these are the ones I have and they are extremely comfy and durable.

BL510.jpg

RM Williams make the upscale Aussie boots but they are really expensive.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

I liked those, but at that time in my life was afraid that wearing those would mark me as being associated with the neo-Nazis who harrassed my friends and I. These days, of course, I wouldn't even think of any such issues if I wanted to wear such things. Times change.

Totally .. I understand, it was the same in Sydney also. You rarely saw the regular punk wearing Cherries ... that was nearly always a Skin boot! Though you did see Punks, the bigger older guys in the City, wearing Cherries but they had nothing to fear as they were fully grown mean mofo's and I was but a weasely 14 yr old! I used to hang with those guys on the weekend and infact I had good friends who were Skins but it was their friends you could never trust so we always kept a distance.

• Members

I manage a store called the Buckle, and we used to sell TONS of Docs. Anyway, the szng is n UK sizes, and they only come in full sizes. So, if you wear a 10 you need a UK9, if you need an 11, you need to buy a UK10 and so on...Hope this helps.

It's plus 2 sizes for ladies, so a UK 8 is the same as a mens 9 or a women's 10.

• Members

They are a very old Australian workmans boot ... a famous brandname here. I basically live in a pair made by Redback.

Yep, they look great with pants or shorts and are light and comfy enough to run for the bus. For such a light bouncy boot I am amazed at how long mine have lasted with only the odd waterproofing.

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

Yep, they look great with pants or shorts and are light and comfy enough to run for the bus. For such a light bouncy boot I am amazed at how long mine have lasted with only the odd waterproofing.

I've had mine since 2000! Without waterproofing and they have been my everyday shoe for 5 years ... they both dress up and down. They've been walked 500 miles across the French Pyrennese and northern Spain in 2003 and they still have only one or two small cracks in the sole. The leather is completely intact, the sole doesn't even look close to coming away from the seams. You can't do anything to these boots, my girlfriend was so impressed she bought herself a pair and wears them allot too! :)

• Members

I've had mine since 2000! Without waterproofing and they have been my everyday shoe for 5 years ... they both dress up and down. They've been walked 500 miles across the French Pyrennese and northern Spain in 2003 and they still have only one or two small cracks in the sole. The leather is completely intact, the sole doesn't even look close to coming away from the seams. You can't do anything to these boots, my girlfriend was so impressed she bought herself a pair and wears them allot too!
:)

:eek:

I think these are the ticket.

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

Check out the Blundstones which are one of the the Aussie Boot version that Doc copied...they will outlast the Docs by years. Docs have gone way down in quality. I have a pair of blundstones that I have worn everyday for around 6 years and they are still going strong....and I walk alot.

blundstone
-- these are the ones I have and they are extremely comfy and durable.

BL510.jpg

RM Williams make the upscale Aussie boots but they are really expensive.

Only one place in OH that carries them, dammit! Real nice looking boots, I've been looking for a pair for a while.

Currently though, I've been rocking a pair of Durango Engineer Boots--slip on with the buckle, short shaft, and damn comfortable.

• Members
Originally posted by EdgySwingsetAcid

:eek:

I think these are the ticket.

I should also add that in those 5 years these boots have lived the life of a thousand shoes ... they have been under salt water in the surf soaked while I take seascape photographs, they have been on countless hikes and expeditions in the mountains where I live ontop of the urban beating they take ... Here's the very boot.

2boots355.jpg

Archived