So how was your NFL opening day?

jcn37203

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Twang

I had front-row seats at Giants Stadium yesterday, and it was a beautiful day all around!

But even better was listening to the Yanks beat the Red Sox 1-0!

Amen, my brotha! the Unit was smokin' 'em in there. 96,97 mph routinely. I saw one or two 98's, and at least one 99. It's about {censored}in' time. :mad:

I won't be happy with a wild card. The Yanks need to win the division.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by Chris B.

Who sez the Colts are going anywhere? Until they beat the Pats, it's all talk. Peyton ain't won nothing. (Brady - 3 rings and counting.....)
;)

Bingo.

Peyton Manning=Dan Fouts=Dan Marino

Lotsa yards, fun to watch, lotsa hype, zero rings.

Worry about beating Jacksonville in you're own division before celebrating a super bowl victory. And just like any other team (except New England) their one injury away from being {censored}ed.

• Members
Originally posted by BmoreTele

Even though it's been 21 years since the Colts snuck out of baltimore, it still hurts.

When they come back to Baltimore and make the Ravens look like a JuCo team, it's even worse.

At least we still have the Orioles!!

What? Oh, yeah ...
:(

That's what shocked me; when the Browns were moved to Baltimore. No other city on earth could've understood exactly how Cleveland must've felt. Yet you folks still accepted them. If the people of Baltimore had any balls, they would've turned Art Modell back around and sent him home to Cleveland, where his team was loved and where he would've been strung up Mussolini-style from a Lake Erie streetlight.

• Members
Originally posted by corso

Amen, my brotha! the Unit was smokin' 'em in there. 96,97 mph routinely. I saw one or two 98's, and at least one 99. It's about {censored}in' time.
:mad:

I won't be happy with a wild card. The Yanks need to win the division.

No, the Yanks need to destroy Boston once and for all and end this ridiculous folly that has infected baseball since last October. After 86 consecutive years of the Red Sox getting their asses kicked routinely and you'd think they'd be more gracious winners. All these Sox fans in my section at the game on Friday night, and every time they score, it's always "IN YOUR FACE MOTHERF_____S! Yankees suck!!," and then , of course, the Yanks go on to win big (again).

I know, I know -- a lot of Yankees fans are assholes too, but it's just after the Red Sox getting routinely trounced for the past 86 years, you'd think they'd be capable of showing an ounce of humility.

Well {censored} them. I hope the Yanks win the AL East and Oakland wins the Wild Card. And then Curt Schilling can go home and cry like the little bitch that he is.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

That's what shocked me; when the Browns were moved to Baltimore. No other city on earth could've understood exactly how Cleveland must've felt. Yet you folks still accepted them. If the people of Baltimore had any balls, they would've turned Art Modell back around and sent him home to Cleveland, where his team was loved and where he would've been strung up Mussolini-style from a Lake Erie streetlight.

I remember when all the fans in Cleveland spoke out in support of the Colts staying in Baltimore.

Oh, that's right. That never happened.

Well at least Baltimore got another team right away just like Cleveland did. And we got to keep our team name and colors and records, just like Cleveland.

Oh, that didn't happen either.

As though fans have any say over what the team owners do.

I can't compare two different pains and I can't really understand someones else's pain either.

• Members

Originally posted by BmoreTele

I remember when all the fans in Cleveland spoke out in support of the Colts staying in Baltimore.

Oh, that's right. That never happened.

Well at least Baltimore got another team right away just like Cleveland did. And we got to keep our team name and colors and records, just like Cleveland.

Oh, that didn't happen either.

As though fans have any say over what the team owners do.

I can't compare two different pains and I can't really understand someones else's pain either.

I know, I know. I've got nothing against either city's fans, only sympathy for both. And only loathing for any team owners save for Marge Schott, rest her soul.

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

Both moves were heinous and unforgivable.

I hate it when owners {censored} with old school history and my sentimental sense of the game.

I know. It wasn't like, in either case, the team was losing money or lacking fan support. Just like when Norm Green moved the North Stars hockey team away from Minnesota. While I'm not a hockey fan, I was living up there at the time and there was murderous outrage. I mean, can you imagine moving the team from America's hockey capital to {censored}ing Texas? That'd be like moving the Bowling Hall of Fame from Milwaukee to San Francisco or something.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

I know. It wasn't like, in either case, the team was losing money or lacking fan support. Just like when Norm Green moved the North Stars hockey team away from Minnesota. While I'm not a hockey fan, I was living up there at the time and there was murderous outrage. I mean, can you imagine moving the team from America's hockey capital to {censored}ing Texas? That'd be like moving the Bowling Hall of Fame from Milwaukee to San Francisco or something.

Yup that was a heinous move. Making them the "Stars" was insult to injury. They should have just called them the Wranglers or Cowboys or Horns or some other kind of silly Texas {censored}. The Wild was a terrible name for a hockey team but "North Stars" was awesome. Some moves invoke a "who cares I don't" feeling. Winnipeg to Arizona. St Louis Cardinals to Arizona.

I was thinking about guys holding out, the salary cap the franchise tag, and mixing money and ego and talent and trying to make it work. Maybe because I'm a contract manager that side of it all-ie-how to build the best team within the cap-fascinates me more then the x's and o's part. I like the draft and off season {censored} on the NFL channel almost as much as the season. It'll change a little down the road. The players are pretty over this franchise tag deal. The NFL players have some legit gripes in their holdouts for the most part.

Props to the Bills for the throwback uniforms. I hope they keep them. Much cooler then the boooooring ones they previously donned. When are the Bengals going to hire a fashion designer with a lick of sense? Did they let Peter Warrick design the uniforms last year when he was on IR after a crack binge or what?

• Members

Well the Cowboys won....good... San Diego killed their hopes with defensive penalties. : )

Bills won, I don't really know why I follow them I just do. :D

The Colts looked good, especially in the 2nd half.

The UT v/s OSU was the best game I saw this weekend. Great game that could have gone either way. Ohio State are some tough hombres! m/ Go Horns

All the Big College Teams are Semi-Pro aren't they? Discuss...

• Members

Originally posted by telepaul

Yup that was a heinous move. Making them the "Stars" was insult to injury. They should have just called them the Wranglers or Cowboys or Horns or some other kind of silly Texas {censored}. The Wild was a terrible name for a hockey team but "North Stars" was awesome. Some moves invoke a "who cares I don't" feeling. Winnipeg to Arizona. St Louis Cardinals to Arizona.

I was thinking about guys holding out, the salary cap the franchise tag, and mixing money and ego and talent and trying to make it work. Maybe because I'm a contract manager that side of it all-ie-how to build the best team within the cap-fascinates me more then the x's and o's part. I like the draft and off season {censored} on the NFL channel almost as much as the season. It'll change a little down the road. The players are pretty over this franchise tag deal. The NFL players have some legit gripes in their holdouts for the most part.

Props to the Bills for the throwback uniforms. I hope they keep them. Much cooler then the boooooring ones they previously donned. When are the Bengals going to hire a fashion designer with a lick of sense? Did they let Peter Warrick design the uniforms last year when he was on IR after a crack binge or what?

Actually, I was sad when they moved Winnipeg to Arizona. That was pretty sacrilegious; plus they were always my favorite hockey team and I once spent a weekend as a guest in the house of their organist.

I agree about the draft and stuff being as exciting as the seasons. Have you read that book Moneyball about Billy Beane, the GM of the Oakland A's? I know it's sort of a dumbing down of the whole process, but I've read it three times I think and love the way he thinks. And I also agree with you on the football holdout stuff, to some degree. I mean, those guys have a MUCH greater chance of getting hurt, plus their contracts are NOT guaranteed, so they could very easily be {censored}ed, unlike a baseball or basketball player; those folks don't know how easy they have it. But their sports are now MUCH less interesting as a result.

Yeah. The Bengals need to go back to their Boomer Esiason/James Brooks/Tim Krumrie uniforms of the 80s, if not the stripeless-helmeted uniforms of the 70s, even.

• Members

Originally posted by palthegiraffe

Personally, I think that the best uniforms in football are those of Auburn University. I'm not an Auburn fan, nor do I even pay attention to them at all; but the navy/orange/white combination, the white helmets, and the classic numeral font and sleeve stripes all work really well together.

What the {censored}?

Anyway my Bears lost, but the Packers suck so it was ok.

I think the Queens and Pussies will contend for the NFC norris division.

• Members

Originally posted by theManfromAlabam

What the {censored}?

Anyway my Bears lost, but the Packers suck so it was ok.

I think the Queens and Pussies will contend for the NFC norris division.

You know what's funny? I've always been a Lions fan by default. Having lived in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and around Chicagoland folks most of my life since my early teens, those are the teams (Vikings, Packers, Bears) that I always heard about and I grew to hate all three of them with the passion of ten thousand Bic lighters. So I just started cheering for the Lions. Plus I liked Barry Sanders.

Of course, my MAIN team's always been my Bengals.

• Members

Yeah always got to have that #2 team. When I was a kid the Giants were dreadful. I liked the powder blue uniforms, I liked the coach with the cowboy hat, I liked the Oiler Derrick logo and I loved Earl Cambell so the Oilers became my default #2 team. The Bengals are my #2 now. They deserve something good after Mike Brown just killed them year after year post Boomer and icki.

I have to go with the dark Bears uniform first, Steeler black second and Giant Blue third. All old school classics.

Auburn's uniforms are nice. Good solid middle ground. Most college's tend to be boooring (Penn State, Alabama, Nebraska, etc) or awful (Florida, Miami) but they have a nice classic look. I think Michigan wins for best college uniforms though.

I visit Auburn every year. My girlfriend is good friends with the Architecture dept head; we visit every 4th of July. Alabama is a beautiful state-it really is. The Rural Studio at Auburn is innovative. Like programs should be funded nationwide.

Didn't Winnipeg move because they were going broke?

• Members
Originally posted by Chris B.

Who sez the Colts are going anywhere? Until they beat the Pats, it's all talk. Peyton ain't won nothing. (Brady - 3 rings and counting.....)
;)

what has payton won? the respect of anyone who knows anything about the game of football. a nice long career ahead of him. better instinct than brady will ever have.

what's the most TDs Brady has thrown in his career? how about his total in his last two years? 49 is alot for a season right?

the Patriots are good. they've proved it doesn't take a superstar to win a Super Bowl. but they aren't that special. and they're done. but you wouldn't be popping off if you weren't worried. you've got a right to be. enjoy.

• Members
Originally posted by danfisher

what has payton won? the respect of anyone who knows anything about the game of football. a nice long career ahead of him. better instinct than brady will ever have.

what's the most TDs Brady has thrown in his career? how about his total in his last two years? 49 is alot for a season right?

the Patriots are good. they've proved it doesn't take a superstar to win a Super Bowl. but they aren't that special. and they're done. but you wouldn't be popping off if you weren't worried. you've got a right to be. enjoy.

You're delusional.

Instinct? How many interceptions did Peyton throw in the AFC Championship game? How many did Brady throw?

Three out of four isn't special? Write me when Peyton wins ONE! :p

BTW. His name is spelled P E Y T O N. Some fan, you are. :rolleyes:

Oh, and another thing. Trash talking works better when you use actual punctuation and capitalization. ;)

Archived