The Boss PW-2 Power Driver: Not That Bad of a ... Fuzz?!

ck3

• Members

I recently came by a Boss PW-2 in a trade deal (thanks again, Liys) and have to say that it has some interesting potential ... as a fuzz, no less. :eek:

PW2.jpg

As many of you may know, this pedal was marketed toward post-grunge rockers in the late 90's and became one of the biggest flops in Boss history saleswise. This is probably because it sounds nothing like a cranked (Mesa Boogie Recto) amplifier for the most part (with my rig, at least). ;)

I can definitely tell why a number of HC reviewers likened this pedal to a Big Muff and/or Fuzz Face. Having tried both of the aforementioned fuzzes, I can hear the similarities, too. However, there is still a bit of characterstic Boss nasalness/raspiness in the pedal's sound. Given the inherently fuzzy overtones of the pedal, however, this is actually a good thing (in my opinion). It sort of adds a bit of a Ge Tonebender flavor to its sound.

I've only played with the PW-2 for a couple of hours, so there are probably many fuzzy tones left to be discovered. For now, I have found four or five usable sounds and two or three farty, fizzy, and otherwise undesirable ones. Still, I forsee there being a good number of sweet spots in the various dials. The midboost knob is an incredibly utile feature and behaves much like the tone switches on the Roland AF-100 BeeBaa and Fender Blender ... only it isn't an "all or none" deal. :cool:

For optimum results, I would definitely recommend DC power over batteries with this pedal. Though the noise floor may be rasied a tad with DC power, there is a much greater degree of fullness to the pedal's tone.

I am still in my honeymoon phase with this dirtbox, so my opinion may change ... but, for now, it definitely meets my approval. :D

• Members
BLUESMEN ... FEAR NOT THE GENERIC LOGO AND MASS PRODUCED PAINTJOB ... ST. ANDREW OF THE BLUZE IS COMPELLING ME TO DEMAND THAT YOU DUST OFF THOSE SKAKESKIN LICKIN' BOOTS, PLUG A PW-2 INTO YOUR VINTAGE, BOO-TEEK TOOB WORKHORSE, AND EXPERIENCE THE TONE THAT IS DESTINED TO SHAKE THE VERY FABRIC OF THE CROSSROADS.

• Members

BLUESMEN-

ARE YOU LOOKING FOR POWER !?

GET TONE POWER !

THE BOSS PW-2 POWER DRIVER IS HERE, AND ITS

READY TO SPIKE YOUR PUNCH.

BIG HOSS GOT YOU WEINERED AT THE DRINKING HOLE ?

LET HOSS HAVE IT WITH THE NEW AND POWERFUL TONE FROM

BOSS.

CRAM YOUR MEAT HOOKS AROUND THAT STRAT NECK AND LET LOOSE THAT BLUESMAN HOWL !

STOMP THE GOLD BOX TO GET THE GLORY, SAVE THE PRINCESS.

• Members

Originally posted by Boron

Very interesting! God I'm glad menufacturers dropped that 1990's trick of adding really dumb ass names to the pots...seems to have afflicted Boss to a degree here!

Hey ... I liked that era of mass produced pedals ... :o ... especially the illustrious DOD FX69 Grunge with its oh-so-chic "Butt" and "Face" knobs ... talk about instilling consumer confidence. :D

Speaking of Boss' jaunt into all that was kitsch, didn't the XT-2 Xtortion have "Steal" and "Tone" knobs? :confused:;)

• Members

Originally posted by jgyn

I have a PW-2. It's like an OD on dust. Sounds better through a driven amp.

Hmmm ... adding a little bit of unsaturated post gain probably wouldn't be a bad idea. What type of amp did you use?

• Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

Level, Contour, Punch, Dist.

I was kidding. :) (Note the ;).)

There is actually an interview someplace where a person claims that the Xtortion will beat you up and steal your tone. :D

• Members

i picked up a PW-2 at a thrift store for a whole $3!

i kept it for a while but since i was needing an OD/distortion at the time, and like you mentioned its better at the "fuzzy drive tones" - i ended up trading it in at the local store for a different pedal.

i should say it was $3 well spent ;)

• Members

Originally posted by fishfartz

i picked up a PW-2 at a thrift store for a whole $3!

i kept it for a while but since i was needing an OD/distortion at the time, and like you mentioned its better at the "fuzzy drive tones" - i ended up trading it in at the local store for a different pedal.

i should say it was $3 well spent
;)

Nice ... that was even better than my $4.79 Digitech Turbo Flange acquisition. :eek:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Originally posted by TheDarxide

I've got a copy of Guitarist with this reviewed in, it came out at the same time as the Xtortion as well. I think they lasted about two years, I wish I'd picked up the pair for posterity.

Darxside,

There is a store about 20 minutes from me that still has about 6 original NIB of both pedals. I picked up a couple just in case. They are $65 a pice. Not a steal but brand new. If you ever want shoot me a PM and i'd be happy to swing by and pick them up for you.

paydirt

Archived