This is insane. We really are in the presence of effects brilliance.

ElectricMayhem

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by ElectricMayhem

I don't mean it in a way that is negative. I would describe Zack as a brilliant pedal-maker, but I think his marketing skills may actually overshadow his circuit-building skills.

What marketing are you referring to? He's never even had an advertisement anywhere. He actually prides his success on that.

• Members
Originally posted by blaghaus

The ooh-wah, the seek-trem, the probes, the list goes on. Absoloutely brilliant effects, brilliant ideas executed brilliantly. That over-achiever statement is silly.

I`d really like to have a couple of Seans pedals but for the sake of balance, who`s genius or brilliant, here`s a pic of a nice board (not mine)

zvex-pedalboard.jpg

• Members

All a builder can do is give you a type of sound parameter that might meet your needs. It is up to you to extract the tone you are looking for. Remember your amp, guitar and any other pedals you may be using alter your sound as well. There is no cure all, be all. If you buy great pedals, the search is alot easier.

Good Luck, it is a personal preference in the long run. I can't give you solid answers. Is that vague enough for you! :D

• Members

That board is classy-ass. What kind of cables are there between them? Monster?

It`s from a thread about the Trailer Trash pedal boards. The guy was asked the same question (what cables) but hasn`t answered yet. Looks like Monster ones.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104219&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

• Members

I don't mean it in a way that is negative. I would describe Zack as a brilliant pedal-maker, but I think his marketing skills may actually overshadow his circuit-building skills.

Play some vex stuff dude, its not "marketing" its ORIGINALITY

• Members

How many pedals have been made that reference EVH? A number. None of them really sound like EVH, though. That's what I am talking about.

You know EVH's tone on Van Halen I sounds like complete garbage on cd or MP3 when you compare them to Van Halen I on vinyl. Just sayin.

• Members

I am currently running my guitar straight into my amp,, with only ONE pedal in my fx loop. The pedal?

A Lovepedal Magicboy Vibe.

I originally wanted a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, as I had played one and found it to be brilliant. I couldn't swing the cash, and due to a recommendation by someone I knew, and Sean's reputation for excellent dirt pedals, I ordered the Magicboy Vibe. I was really happy with it at first, but over time I realized it was overpowering my original guitar tone when I turned it on. However, I soon realized that putting it in my amps parallel fx loop with the mix control at 75%, it accentuated, rather than overpowered my natural guitar tone. As I worked very hard to attain the guitar > amp tone I wanted, I was much happier with it in the fx loop.
The speed knob does make a large variety of tones possible, almost as if it changes the pedals character depending on the knob setting. I am not sure how he did this, or if they are all like this, but it is a thing of beauty. Set anywhere below 12 o'clock on the speed dial, it lends everything from a VERY subtle "EVH" like Phase 90 sweep to a pronounced Small Stone phase tone to your sound. At 12 o'clock, it does Pink Floyd's UniVibe "Breathe" sound perfectly. From 1 o'clock until 3 o'clock, it does every Hendrix sound you can think of, from "Little Wing" to "Machine Gun". And from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock, it does a trebly warble that is very reminiscent of a Fender Vibratone mixed with a EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress Flanger set fairly fast. After 4 o'clock, it is going VERY fast, allowing shimmery fast chorus vibrato tones........
This is all with the SPEED knob, and that doesn't include changing the internal trimmer (I left mine alone), for even more sounds and variations. I don't use the artist's tones listed above, I use it to create original sounds, I just listed those sounds for a frame of reference. To put it another way, until 3 o'clock on the dial, it has a phasey vibe sound to it. After 3 o'clock, it changes to a chorusy spinning speaker sound. Just brilliant......
One pedal replaced several pedals for me (Phase 90, UniVibe, Leslie Sim, Flanger, Chorus). Not to mention it is housed in a steel box, immaculately wired, true bypass, and was $130 shipped. That makes it a keeper.

I guess it makes Sean brilliant as well.

This was a unpaid endorsement by SASQUATCH.
:D

• Members
Originally posted by SASQUATCH

I am currently running my guitar straight into my amp,, with only ONE pedal in my fx loop. The pedal?

A Lovepedal Magicboy Vibe.

I originally wanted a Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, as I had played one and found it to be brilliant. I couldn't swing the cash, and due to a recommendation by someone I knew, and Sean's reputation for excellent dirt pedals, I ordered the Magicboy Vibe. I was really happy with it at first, but over time I realized it was overpowering my original guitar tone when I turned it on. However, I soon realized that putting it in my amps parallel fx loop with the mix control at 75%, it accentuated, rather than overpowered my natural guitar tone. As I worked very hard to attain the guitar > amp tone I wanted, I was much happier with it in the fx loop.

The speed knob does make a large variety of tones possible, almost as if it changes the pedals character depending on the knob setting. I am not sure how he did this, or if they are all like this, but it is a thing of beauty. Set anywhere below 12 o'clock on the speed dial, it lends everything from a VERY subtle "EVH" like Phase 90 sweep to a pronounced Small Stone phase tone to your sound. At 12 o'clock, it does Pink Floyd's UniVibe "Breathe" sound perfectly. From 1 o'clock until 3 o'clock, it does every Hendrix sound you can think of, from "Little Wing" to "Machine Gun". And from 3 o'clock to 4 o'clock, it does a trebly warble that is very reminiscent of a Fender Vibratone mixed with a EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress Flanger set fairly fast. After 4 o'clock, it is going VERY fast, allowing shimmery fast chorus vibrato tones........

This is all with the SPEED knob, and that doesn't include changing the internal trimmer (I left mine alone), for even more sounds and variations. I don't use the artist's tones listed above, I use it to create original sounds, I just listed those sounds for a frame of reference. To put it another way, until 3 o'clock on the dial, it has a phasey vibe sound to it. After 3 o'clock, it changes to a chorusy spinning speaker sound. Just brilliant......

One pedal replaced several pedals for me (Phase 90, UniVibe, Leslie Sim, Flanger, Chorus). Not to mention it is housed in a steel box, immaculately wired, true bypass, and was $130 shipped. That makes it a keeper.

I guess it makes Sean brilliant as well.

This was a unpaid endorsement by SASQUATCH.

:D

You just made me very intrested in this pedal.

• Members

i have always been curiosly interested in the way a small number of highly "active" builders have cult-like followings, but there are some other innovative builders and DIYers that get little or no fanfare. it doesn't sem to me to be related to the quality of product most of the time.

that said, some frequent visitors like Dave Fox, Vex, Jacques, Keeley, AnalogMike, Olaf from Banzai and Ben Fulton are making a real positive contribution to the music business and deserve some respect for that.

Archived