Need overdrive: Danelectro Daddy-O vs. DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp

zinzin

• Members

i am looking for a cheap but good sounding "classic rock tone" overdrive pedal. i want to use it for my vox pathfinder 15 w -> 2x10 cab. the vox is one channel and i need clean and dirty channel switching for some songs. wouldn't hurt though if the overdrive pedal could act like a boost too.

so my search was narrowed down to the Danelectro Daddy-O and DOD 250 Overdrive Preamp. both are cheap, 'round 40 bucks new.

1103.gif

150070.t.jpg

what are your toughts? is the DOD more boost as overdrive pedal? does the DOD differ hard from the "grey" one? is the Daddy-O good enough or would another dano, eg the wasabi overdrive be better? do you know other good n' cheap overdrive boxes?

go!

• Members

during lunchtime i had the chance to read some HC reviews about the 2 pedals and i think the dano is rather weak. unfortunately i don't have the chance to try 'em out.

for now the DOD should be my favorite as i like as it looks too. so, how much overdrive pedal is it, or is it really more a boost pedal?

• Members

Originally posted by gregovertone

thanks for the link. the majority would go for the gray DOD 250 i see, but i don't have the money ... i really dig the "a DOD 250 paired with a vox ac 30/15 is heaven" note!!!!

i read lots of noise issues for the dano. true? aaaah, its hard without trying one out ... they are both cheap, i could buy 'em both and resell the weaker one

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

DOD 250 !

or a Mig*Boost (lmittle more expensive though)

but cheap and good boost/OD is the Rocktron Austin Gold

I have the austin gold...much prefer it to the daddy-o which I hate as an OD pedal....though I usually use it for a cleaner boost...

• Members

Originally posted by d0zerz

I have the austin gold...much prefer it to the daddy-o which I hate as an OD pedal....though I usually use it for a cleaner boost...

thats what i keep reading! that the daddy-o is more a distortion box. i sense the DOD is more classic overdrive sounding. hmmm. who has the both (cheap) for sale?:p

• Members

hey hey

i have had both....and currently still own the dod.

the dano pedals i have owned seemed relatively cheap in build, and sound, when compared to another product in its price range.

i had 5 dan'o pedals, and 3 broke.

for the price, id prefer the dod250. they are 2 different beasts though.

the dano is a bit more compressed. the dod has more grit to it.

id' look at something like the boss sd-1 over the dano. just another cheap od.

• Members

i tried the boss sd-1 and it seemed kinda fake overdrive to me ... very hollow sounding, not warm enough. but then i am kinda against boss pedals as they always try to please as many people as possible with their sounds and therefore being kinda pale sounding.

Archived