If you could design your ideal guitar from the ground up?

elctmist

• Members

I'm pretty sure mine would be a downsized Fender Jaguar body with the infamous trem system with two lipstick pickups and a Gretsch p/up in the middle. One vol/one tone, simple pickup selector but it would have an out-of-phase switch.

Semi-hollow body with no f-holes and a silvertone like 25 inch scale.

What's your flavor?

• Members

Originally posted by Fingermush

Masonite top & bottom, poplar frame, superthin neck, based off the '61 silvertone U1. Standel Custom styled headstock. Lipstick/Jag pu at neck and bridge. Crappy Dano styled bridge.

I could work with that.

• Members

Something like that Zvex guitar but crazier. Some kind of beater guitar with zvex style probes built in (fuzz probe for example) to control some built in effects. First in line would probably be a crazy Germanium fuzz. Then maybe a Wah probe or Envelope Filter kind of thing. The effects would be true bypassed, and there would be a good buffer built in (a la SHO). That way as you play your arm/body movements could control a bunch of craziness. Maybe you could hump stuff for feedback. Oh and it would be a Tele style body with a B-bender. This would be plugged in directly to the amp with no floor effects. Accept there would be an analog delay in the guitar (like the memory lane) with a tap tempo sensor that is controlled by a sensor in your shoe (maybe RF communication).

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

I could work with that.

Too bad I all my designs are on paper. Orginally it was supposed to have a Jaguar pickup right next to a hotrail, but then I discovered how incredible Lipsticks sound and now I'm ruined forever. Oh,and the body design is simular to that Fernandes Vertigo (?), but my design isn't as blocky.

I don't wanna sound queer or nothing, but we have simular tastes.

Oh, and Unicorns Kick Ass!

• Members

Body shape like a Gustavsson Bluesmaster.

Chambered swamp ash body (no F hole) with a mahogany cap.

Gretsch orange color with cream binding.

Maple neck, ebony fingerboard with old Gibson Nick Lucas inlays. Fender scale. 1 3/4" wide at the nut. Buzz Feiten system. 10" radius. Some goofy headstock shape - Moderne, Eko, Airline - 3 to a side locking tuners.

Two Alnico humbuckers. Individual volume and tone controls for each pup. Master volume. Three position toggle. Phase and series/parallel switches.

Gotoh hardtail bridge, string through body.

That'll do.

• Members

jazzmaster with 24 frets, built in fuzz probe
ebony fretboard
block inlays and binding
piezo pickup with selectable output (mag, piezo, or both) and blend
hollowbody with F hole
lasers that come out of it
locking tuners
lake placid blue matching headstock
tortoise shell pickguard

• Members

All maple Gibson bass neck with 1970s Strat headstock, attached to an oversized Jazzmaster body with two Gibson humbuckers (a la Ripper/Bill Lawrence/delorean) and a massive, easily adjusted bridge, like from the Ovation Magnum basses. In cream, with a big, oddly shaped tortoise shell pickguard. With built-in piezo tuner with LEDs embedded in the side of the body.

Not that I've thought about it much or anything.

• Members

Single Cut solid body, similar to an LP, but a little more exagerated and a little larger - kind of like how the Fender Jag-Stang was kind of melted? Similar to that idea , but a little more refined. Maybe like a cross between a Gibson LP and a Reverend anything. Mahogany, carved top, maple cap. Mahogany neck, rose wood fret board, probably a bone nut, locking tuners, and a Gibson Style hard tail bridge. Schaller strap locks. Trapazoid in-lays, but with the diagonal slash in them. I like those! It would either be a dark trans-blue-burst flame or quilt top or a bright trans-orange flame or quilt top. Probably the blue, but the orange would look sweet on stage! I'd go for the three and three head stock style of Gibson, but a little stylized, like with Schecters, only maybe more classy some how...

Humbucker bridge, something that distorts nicely. I'd have to play around. It would have to sound kind of nasty in that way that only a bridge pup can! I don't want it to sound nasel while it is clean though, the way so many pups seem to. Neck pick up would be something clear for jazz and cleaning up the distortion a little bit. I might try something like those TV-Jones pups, they sound nice.

Two volumes, two tones. I used to think I could get by with less but I find that I use all four knobs, so I'll take all four. I would also add coil tapping for any humbucker pups. I've heard lots of stuff about the Veritone switch in Gibson Bluehawks, and if its possible in a guitar like what I've described I'd probably try it out. A pick guard like the Gibsons. All the plastice parts are creame, all metal hard ware is nickel. The knobs are Gibby top-hat style knobs.

I think it owuld be a pretty cool guitar...

• Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

All maple Gibson bass neck with 1970s Strat headstock, attached to an oversized Jazzmaster body with two Gibson humbuckers (a la Ripper/Bill Lawrence/delorean) and a massive, easily adjusted bridge, like from the Ovation Magnum basses. In cream, with a big, oddly shaped tortoise shell pickguard. With built-in piezo tuner with LEDs embedded in the side of the body.

Not that I've thought about it much or anything.

that sounds {censored}ing fantastic. :)

i also think i want a neck-thru reverse Firebird VII bari (maybe with a TOM, maybe with a Bigsby :eek: ) w/ 2 mini-hums and a P90. 28 5/8" scale. and block inlays. of course. sunburst. or white/cream.

{censored} yeah. it will be the craziest, most neck-heavy guitar in creation.

• Members

I've been designing a guitar for a while now that I'll slap together one of these years.

It'll look something like the Roland guitar synth below:

Roland-GR-300-mini.jpg

The custom parts will be a pair of Lollar P-90s or a pair of TV Jones filtertrons, a 25" scale, 22 fretted ebony board without markers, perhaps a Bigsby vibrato and a carved top over a mahogany body. For the top, I've got a few stellar boards of Black Walnut or African Wenge to choose from. (I'm kinda tired of the figured maple look.)

• Members

right now
i could just dig a black tele with mint guard,
graphite nut & saddles...
schaller tuners
lindy fralin single coils
straplocks
setup for .11s
gibson-style black speed knobs
rosewood strat neck w/70s headstock
kill switch
i'd love the 1/4" input to be on TOP of the body instead of the side...

that or a epi-supernova-blue coloured Gretsch SuperChet.

Archived