did you guys hear the the #1 rated burbon was Jim Beam black label!

hangwire

• Members

Hey, I'm on my second bottle of Maker's Mark. I't's good, but I'm surprised at how sweet it is. Can anyone recommend something similarly priced that's smooth like MM is, but has a bit more complex flavor/and is less sweet?

• Members
Originally posted by JimVW

Hey, I'm on my second bottle of Maker's Mark. I't's good, but I'm surprised at how sweet it is. Can anyone recommend something similarly priced that's smooth like MM is, but has a bit more complex flavor/and is less sweet?

at $20 a bottle, why not try the black label Jim Beam...?

• Members

I'll recommend Old Forester for smoothness. And it isn't expensive, either.

• Members

Yeah, I thought it was sweet too. Dunno of a good alternative, but I'm interested too.

• Members

Maker's. Baker's. Knob Creek. All top shelf. There's a bunch of other smaller outfits that make some nice products, too, once you start getting into bourbon.

Best for a newbie to try: Basil Hayden's. This is the smoothest of the bunch.

• Members

Did you ever try Gentleman Jack?

• Members

Desert Island bourbon? Woodford Reserve, although I recently had some Maker's Mark for the first time, good stuff. I can't say I ever liked Knob Creek, it's a quality bourbon, but for my tastes, just a little too "sharp", for lack of a better term, I suppose.

Anywho, yeah the Woodford Reserve's great, it has a good bite, complex taste, and a bottle that's empty way too soon.

;)

Cheers!

Archived