Just got my sh 201 Home

Rolandxr

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by protues9

Would you say that this and the ms2000 would make a good combo?

I dont have any experience with the ms2000, so i dont know.

Maybe Foosa or MuzikB can help with this one.

Rolandxr

• Members

Originally posted by Rolandxr

Foosa, and MuzikB

Welcome to the family, good to see more 201's around. So whats your impressions, are you guys Happy?

Rolandxr

I think this is another winner for Roland. The sound is a bit bright IMHO but that can be EQ'd or bit crushed. The size and weight is definitely gigable and the trademark SUPERSAW can be used on both oscillators for some really fat sounds. The build is better than the JP-8000 IMO.

Currently, The VST editor plug-in doesn't function within Live 5.2 for me and I don't know why yet, but the standalone editor works along side Live just fine. :confused: The midi info is going to the SH through USB from both applications without any problems. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

so, what *is* the difference between the SH201 and the JP8080?

Tony

The vocoder in the JP-8080.

The D-Beam, Phrase Arpeggiator, dual super saw oscillators, software, and effects section of the SH-201.

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

so, what *is* the difference between the SH201 and the JP8080?

Tony

I have a feeling that it's be a completely different sounding synth, since it's based on the V-Synth and not the JPs. Labelling it an "SH" is another clue, but we really won't know for sure just how different it sounds until someone with both sets up some identical patches for comparason.

• Members

Allright. Now I'm confused:

I'm a piano player looking to learn synthesis.

I've been looking around the various options, and was *almost* sold on the JP-8000, and have been scouting out eBay for a used one. I *really* like the sound of the super-saw, and feedback oscillator.

Now that it's out, the SH-201 is looking really attractive to me, but I'm worried about the build-quality, and the quality of the key action. Sure, it looks cheesy, but I just don't know.....

I saw a Novation X-Station in the store the other day (another synth I was considering), and was very turned off by the quality of the keys.

So, for learning, I'm trying to determine the relative advantages of the SH-201 for this purpose. I get that the V-Synth is easily the more powerful of the two, but I'm worried that the complicated interface will get in the way, especially since I'm only interested in using the VA.

So...... I'm trying to pick between: SH-201, V-Synth, Ion, MS2000, RADIAS.

Of course, there's also always the option of buying a JP-8080 with a high-quality controller...

Any advice from people who have used these?

• Members

Originally posted by schmod

I'm a piano player looking to learn synthesis.

Right there, I think you answered your own question. Being piano player, you may have trouble finding a synthesizer keyboard that you like.

Of course, there's also always the option of buying a JP-8080 with a high-quality controller...

sounds like a very good option to me.

• Members

For learning subtractive analog-like synthesis, it doesn't get more straightforward than the front panel of the SH-201. Only you can determine if the build quality is good enough for you, but if it's not your JP-8080/controller option is also a good one. Another straightforward interface, but if you find one try it out and make sure there are no balky knobs.

• Members

If this is your first board or if your relatively new to synths, I would definitely get a SH201 or JP. Don't get the V synth, it's super cool :p:D but it's not going to teach you how to use it. You're going to be digging in manuals and spending more time trying to figure stuff out. The SH and JP, you'll be right up and running. :) But if you want to dive right in, be my guest and get the V!:p

• Members

Originally posted by mrcpro

I have a feeling that it's be a completely different sounding synth, since it's based on the V-Synth and not the JPs. Labelling it an "SH" is another clue, but we really won't know for sure just how different it sounds until someone with both sets up some identical patches for comparason.

I've got the JP-8000 and SH-201 right here in front of me. Of course the JP-8000 will be sold as it's no longer needed.

The SH-201 sound is brighter and more forward than the JP. The Oscillator tones seem to be stronger on the Sh-201. Other than that, they really do sound very alike. With the SH-201 being more "in yer face."

The SH-201 does much better sub basses with the sine wave in the oscillators. The JP's don't have sine waves.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by MuzikB

With the SH-201 being more "in yer face".

The SH-201 does much better sub basses with the sine wave in the oscillators.

I tried one at GC and will agree the SH-201 is "in yer face" and has more sub bass than a JP-8000/JP-8080. The SH-201 has alot of mid-range growl to it's sound. Do you think it is from the osc's or the nature of the filter?

It does seem like a pretty cool little synth but, the lack of preset storage is a major turn off. Since I own a V-Synth, JP-8000 and JP-8080 it would probably be a little overlap-ish. Ya think?

:)

• Members

Outstanding MuzikB!
:thu:
Even after 5 years, sometimes this forum just amazes me.....

Your welcome.

I'd say that the SH-201 is really worth the upgrade for any JP owners unless you must have the Roland vocoder in the JP-8080. The extra features of the Sh-201 make it a cooler piece IMO.

Also bear in mind that the SH-201 is not as warm as the JP. I believe the high DAC's always brightens the sound bit in VA's. AN EQ can be used to adjust the presence and warmth as well as a chorus. (Live's Chorus does a good job of this.)

The analog like nuance didn't seem to be captured in the videos I've seen and heard on the net. It's definitely there, coming through nicely on these Mackie's.

• Members

I would imagine that the addition of overdrive to the SH-201 would take it places no self-respecting JP would ever go. Unless you choose the monophonic feedback oscillator, the JP-8000/8080 to me has this polite sound... like it was the one member of the family that was always on it's best behavior. SH-201 owners: are there further adjustments to overdrive in software of a page two function? There's only a lone on-off button on the front panel.

And now... what's the deal with the front panel graphics? Is it some kind of glued-on sheet instead of being applied directly to the top?

• Members

Originally posted by burster1

The SH-201 has alot of mid-range growl to it's sound. Do you think it is from the osc's or the nature of the filter?

It does seem like a pretty cool little synth but, the lack of preset storage is a major turn off. Since I own a V-Synth, JP-8000 and JP-8080 it would probably be a little overlap-ish. Ya think?

I'm not currently sure about the midrange. I'd have to compare them some more and get back to you. I've got them setup to begin to transfer my JP sounds into the SH today. The overdrive might be on as MRCpro pointed out.

Unless you wanted to downsize your studio, I wouldn't bother with the SH given what you have but if you really don't use the V-Synth sampler or the JP-8080's vocoder and would like to unload some kit, selling the JP's could easily pay for an SH-201

I'm keeping my studio within the confides of one MOTU 828 so I'm doing another E-Bay flush this week. All my main synths now have audio inputs so my studio is now semi-modular and I plan to expand my Voyager with VX expanders after I have it looked at by Amos.

• Members

SH-201 owners: are there further adjustments to overdrive in software of a page two function? There's only a lone on-off button on the front panel.

And now... what's the deal with the front panel graphics? Is it some kind of glued-on sheet instead of being applied directly to the top?

There are no Overdrive adjustments.

It looks to be an adhesive sheet similar to the one on the Evolvers. I wouldn't worry about it unless you tend to abuse your synths.

• Members

32 is enough for me but you can also back up loads in the software.

Other that the Strings and TB distorted Lead, I didn't consider the user bank to be great. They're just showing off some of the synth capabilities.

The preset banks have better stuff IMHO.

Except for the above, my user bank will be cleared for my stuff.

• Members

MuzikB, I suppose we ought to leave you alone so you can play your new board. No more questons from me today, I promise!
:D

:D

Right after I have me some breakfast I'm going to begin transferring my JP sounds over.

Go check the SH-201 out. Roland got it together on this one. Now if I can get the VST plug-in to work in Live, I'll be all good.

:thu:

• Members

Ah, wow. Thanks for the input. I think I'm just about sold on the 201, given the awesome interface.

I guess I'll just have to learn to get used to the lower-quality keys. It seems that the synth I'm looking for doesn't exist yet. If Moog could pull their heads out of their asses, and produce the Lil' Phatty as a polyphonic VA at the same price, they'd sell a ton of them. Alas, this will never happen.

Archived