Just got my sh 201 Home

Rolandxr

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by TheFoosa

I lliked the action on it when I played it. It's not the heaviest synth action but it's very playable.

It *IS* velocity sensitive....gassss...

Yah sorry, i dont read the manuals when i first get synths, and the presets i tried didnt have any velocity to them...But after reading the manual ( Thanks MuzikB ) its easy to set up.

Rolandxr

• Members
Originally posted by mchristi

why is everyone so fascinated by this synth? I think it's lost on me.

Is it in the Micron/Microkorg range or the Ion/MS2000 price range?

Fascinated is pretty strong. I'd say interested though. :D

A few reasons that pop to mind:

1. It's a Roland VA. This company, and the guy who still runs it, is responsible for some of the greatest classic analog synths.

2. It's laid out so anyone can instantly get an analog sound that's in their head into the music. The front panel looks just like you'd expect a real one knob per function analog synth to look... well I think the oscillators and LFOs share controls but that's about it. Just about every other VA out there deviates from the classic analog look enough to cause some head scratching... from this analog veteran anyway,

3. Low price.... $600 MAP. It's set to compete smack against the Ion.

• Members

It IS yet another VA, and I could go get an Ion for the same price, but this one just clicks with me better than the Ion/Micron. Plus you are not limited (too much) by the waveforms, because it includes the supersaw, and what I like most, the feedback oscillator. If you watch the NAMM demo of the V-Synth on Rolandus, there is a VERY nice pad using that. And I played with it a lot on a used JP-8080, a very fun little waveform. You've got your (virtual) analog stuff, and then your weirdness too. :p

The d-beam is neat too. Not a real major selling point, but it's still cool.

And the layout is just PERFECT for me. I'm tired of menus. Even synths that have lots of sliders/knobs usually also have menus (ie: my Yamaha SY85). On the SH, you got sliders for the envelopes (which is ideal) and knobs for the rest. Yum.

And it's small enough to be portable, but not small enough that you feel cramped at all.

To me it was just a very comfortable feeling board, even when I was navigating it as a total noob to the interface (not like its hard to figure out though). I am going to spend some time with it and a good pair of headphones, probably by the end of the week, and I have a feeling I might be pulling the trigger on this one.

• Members

The SH-32, which I think is probably the baseline technology upon which the SH-201 is built, is a wicked, inexpensive (but not cheap! ) little synth with great sound, and a very elegant interface, given how much they pack into it.

I'd expect the SH-201 to sound every bit as good, with more control and of course a keyboard.

• Members

Originally posted by realtrance

The SH-32, which I think is probably the baseline technology upon which the SH-201 is built

Nope. The SH-32's sample-based, not virtual analog (except for maybe the PWM part)

I'd expect the SH-201 to sound every bit as good, with more control and of course a keyboard.

The sample-based waveforms will not be included but the filter might sound better; the JV/XP filter has a useless resonance setting that makes the thing squeal (in a bad way). Having said that, I don't think you can directly compare them.

• Members

Yeah, my SH-32 filter steps too. But for the price, I ain't complaining, it has a lot of good sounds. Better bang for buck than the Micron or Microkorg.

I expect the SH201 filter not to step. How is the filter? Is the Sh201 supposed to be a JP8000 type VA clone or is it an improved, but different styled (sh32) Roland VA?

• Members
Originally posted by Rolandxr

Hers a shot of it with the V synth, I dont have the capability to post sound files, what do i need?

Webspace. You can upload your file to www.rapidshare.de or www.yousendit.com if you don't have any webspace of your own. An alternative is to make an account by a music host such as SoundClick ( http://www.soundclick.com/ ) - but then it can take a while to get it OK'd (don't know if that's still the case - I assume they check for copyright infringement first, since you could upload complete albums there and share 'm if it wasn't kept in check).

• Members
Webspace. You can upload your file to
www.rapidshare.de
or
www.yousendit.com
if you don't have any webspace of your own. An alternative is to make an account by a music host such as SoundClick (
http://www.soundclick.com/
) - but then it can take a while to get it OK'd (don't know if that's still the case - I assume they check for copyright infringement first, since you could upload complete albums there and share 'm if it wasn't kept in check).

hey, if you need webspace I can host them for ya. I sent you a pm rolandxr.

• Members

Thanks guys for the info....I dont have anyway of recording onto my computer, But i do have a MP3 player that i can record with a stereo mic and i think i should be able to download it onto my computer. I will check tonight when i get home. If it does work i will send the file to you isosceles if thats cool with you.

Rolandxr

• Members

Hello everybody,

I guess the SH-201 would make a nice synth for jamming purposes, given that easy-to-use interface.

Does anybody know how many buttons I have to press to select a new sound? With my Juno-D, I need to press three buttons in total (two numbers plus an enter-button), which means that patch changes within a song are cumbersome. With my Alesis QS-6, I just needed one button (number 0-9), which was so much more live-oriented.

Best regards,
Remus77

• Members

Remus77,

The 201 has 4 Banks A-D and 8 buttons to select patches 1-8

There is the user bank and the preset bank.

Once you select your bank its as simple as 1 button, providing the sound is in one of your selections of 1-8 if not then 2 buttons.

Rolandxr

• Members

Originally posted by TheFoosa

it includes the supersaw

Ryan, did the JP-8080 have the supersaw waveform? Cuz I really like the sweeps that come off it.

What I think I like most about it, is the capability to show up as a VSTi and the ability to filter audio through it. I'm able to filter audio through my Moog too but it's a different sound. And again, if it's really anything like the JP series, I think it will become popular, especially at the price.

• Members

Hi Rolandxr,

seems very nice indeed! :cool:

Originally posted by Rolandxr

Remus77,

The 201 has 4 Banks A-D and 8 buttons to select patches 1-8

There is the
user bank
and the
preset bank

Once you select your bank its as simple as 1 button, providing the sound is in one of your selections of 1-8 if not then 2 buttons.

Rolandxr

• Members

Thanks for the demos...:thu: Now I have GAS....:eek: That's one cool synth for the money.... I'll have to order one from an online supplier. The only music store within fifty miles is a Sam Ash. Their keyboard dept is always a disaster. The newest keys are a year old. I think they're supposed to get a Fusion in another month, maybe the SH-201 by 2007

Is there any cure for GAS? Maybe the Triton Le....:p

Archived