Just got my sh 201 Home

Rolandxr

• Members

Hi again Rolandxr,
I have a couple of additionnal questions.
Do you like the effects section of the SH-201 ?
Did you tried to plug a stereo source in the 201 ??
I believe you can use the Supersaw on Both OSC at the same time (unlike the JP-8000), can you confirm ?? (the pad must be big if this is possible)

I just check at a store in Montreal and the price seems in line with the US (for a change).
At $669 canadian this is very tempting.
I'm planning to plug my Fantom-S in the SH-201 and voila two synth one headphone and no mixer needed.

thanks,
Stephane

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by isosceles

demo stuff

Thanks Rolandxr - but next time you're recording, please pick a higher level and run a normalizer over it afterwards so the volume's acceptable :). Right now they're a bit too quiet.

Originally posted by TheFoosa

I think I'm gonna do it. I might be coming home with a new toy today.
:eek:

OVERLAP ALERT! OVERLAP ALERT!

(just kidding) :D

• Members
Originally posted by Yoozer

Thanks Rolandxr - but next time you're recording, please pick a higher level and run a normalizer over it afterwards so the volume's acceptable :). Right now they're a bit too quiet.

Hi Yoozer, you got it.:D

Hi again Rolandxr,
I have a couple of additionnal questions.
Do you like the effects section of the SH-201 ?
Did you tried to plug a stereo source in the 201 ??
I believe you can use the Supersaw on Both OSC at the same time (unlike the JP-8000), can you confirm ?? (the pad must be big if this is possible)

1.The fx is pretty cut and dry, Reverb and Delay both have a Time and Depth control. There Ok i like it.

2.Yes i plugged in my Mp3 player and it was great you have total control, so it would be great to mix in some dance stuff and control the fade in and out and some FX. Whats really useful is plugging in the player and putting headphones on to learn music late at night, very useful for me since i have a 2 year old daughter.

3.Yes you can and it is Fat, also there is a boost Button that really thickens things up. I Believe on my FX sound demo you can hear that supersaw Boost.

I think I'm gonna do it. I might be coming home with a new toy today.

Awsome let us know when you get it. :thu:

Rolandxr

• Members

Hey Rolandxr-

Man, you are in a really unique position because you not only have the SH-201, but a V-Synth as well. Some time later, and you can take your time on this, it would be really cool if you did a detailed comparison of the VA section of your V-Synth and your new toy. Sound, features, whatever you think is important.

I have been thinking about picking up a V-Synth because they are so cheap used on E-Bay, but I must admit that front panel of the SH-201 looks so seductive. Since you have both it would be a big help. Thanks- :)

• Members
Originally posted by mrcpro

Hey Rolandxr-

Man, you are in a really unique position because you not only have the SH-201, but a V-Synth as well. Some time later, and you can take your time on this, it would be really cool if you did a detailed comparison of the VA section of your V-Synth and your new toy. Sound, features, whatever you think is important.

I have been thinking about picking up a V-Synth because they are so cheap used on E-Bay, but I must admit that front panel of the SH-201 looks so seductive. Since you have both it would be a big help. Thanks-
:)

Hi Mrcpro
Well i can say this, The V synth is so powerful and really easy to program. There are so many more options to define a sound its amazing, i have been tinkering and programming on the V synth since it was introduced and it has become 2nd nature it is a program on the fly synth without a doubt with the exception of wave form selection. The engine on the v synth is capable of almost everything....Definetly worth the price over the 201 especially the ebay used price. I have owned three V synths, and not because any of them broke its because i thought i could do without it and i can't. When i play out that bad boy comes out with me every show. I would say get the V synth before the 201, cause its everything the 201 is and 10 times more.

The 201 has some things over the V synth that make it very useful for live events, or if you like to tweek everything on the fly.
The features it has over the V is the front panel, i mean its all right there No menu jumping this bad little synth is old school with modern day technology. All wave forms at your finger tips everything is right on the panel, that to me makes it worth the 600.00 asking price. I think having a 10 Voice totaly in your face programmable synth as an option for a mere 600.00 is the best value out there. I own a Micron and its a great little synth, but IMO the 201 is more of a value just because of the menuless panel. If you like old school analog, then the 201 is for you. Last night i was going from sound to sound on the fly without changing the patch, its that easy and fun to play. I played edgar winters Frankenstein and covered all three sounds ( distorted bass, mellowhorn, to the drone ) without missing a beat, that is really useful to me...The V synth cant do that, nor can a lot of synths out there today ( besides old school analogs ). Once you get pass the cheap feel of construction, and realize whats at your fingertips you can see what roland was trying to accomplish with the 201, i think they did a great job on it.

There both great synths, and each has its own over the other.
I geuss what ever your needs are would make it easier to choose.

Which would i choose to keep if one had to go? I would say the V synth, only because i have over 200 patches i created on it for my band and some of them would be hard to replicate with the 201.

But thankfully i dont have to make that choice, The 201 will replace the Micron with the band no doubt about that.

I hope that was helpful and ofcourse there just my opinions of the two.

Rolandxr

• Members

I just played a 201 at guitar center a little bit ago. I was much more impressed than I was expecting. i was able to really nail some of my old juno 106 sounds on it with ease.

The synth is a little basic, but thats partly whats refreshing about it. I imagine the software editor gives you access to additional program parameters - from the front panel, there appears to be know way to edit velocity mappings and so forth, but for old non-velocity sensitive synth creations it was very quick and almost too easy...

On the build quality - it *really* looks like a toy. the panels arent even painted on, but instead use a kind of metalic sticker. The keyboard feels pretty cheezy, but the knobs arent as bad as I was expecting. It looks a lot like the old JX3P (but more plastic). It even has holes for a music stand (snicker).

All in all, I was impressed considering its pricepoint. If I didnt already have enough synthesizers, I'd consider one.

• Members

Originally posted by Tony Scharf

I just played a 201 at guitar center a little bit ago. I was much more impressed than I was expecting. i was able to really nail some of my old juno 106 sounds on it with ease.

The synth is a little basic, but thats partly whats refreshing about it. I imagine the software editor gives you access to additional program parameters - from the front panel, there appears to be know way to edit velocity mappings and so forth, but for old non-velocity sensitive synth creations it was very quick and almost too easy...

On the build quality - it *really* looks like a toy. the panels arent even painted on, but instead use a kind of metalic sticker. The keyboard feels pretty cheezy, but the knobs arent as bad as I was expecting. It looks a lot like the old JX3P (but more plastic). It even has holes for a music stand (snicker).

All in all, I was impressed considering its pricepoint. If I didnt already have enough synthesizers, I'd consider one.

The Velocity is set by holding down the cancel button and turning the level Knob on the amp section from the front panel. Yah its a little cheesy but once you get pass that point its a great little synth. I love the fact that its lite as a feather.

Rolandxr

• Members

Originally posted by Rolandxr

The Velocity is set by holding down the cancel button and turning the level Knob on the amp section from the front panel. Yah its a little cheesy but once you get pass that point its a great little synth. I love the fact that its lite as a feather.

Rolandxr

heh...I never ever would have guessed that without a manual. True roland form :-)

VA's are almost getting too good and cheap.

• Members

thanks for the demo's this little synth souncs very good, I could see taking it, the Radias and Voyager to a few gigs. I like to tweak on the fly and won't take the Jupiter 8 out of the studio.

• Members
Originally posted by Tony Scharf

I would give the JX3P a lot more credit than that :) Quite honestly though, while it sounds good, it does feel really cheap-ass. When we were checking it out in the store it reminded me of Yamaha PSR-type keyboards (like the old early 90's portables). At any rate, I'm sure I have enough keyboards to get the job done without needing the SH-201, though as I mentioned in an earlier post there are some things I really like about it, like the audio filtering and the D-beam (that thing is cool!)

I just think if I do decide to get something else along with the Korg TR, I'll probably get a used JP-8000 or the 8080; pretty much the same voice architecture but a much more solid build quality.

• Members

From what I've gathered so far with the info available online:

Between the build-quality and the sound I'm heavily biased towards an Ion. The UI is ideal, IMHO, and beats the Ion. But that's about it. The Ion sounds more Roland-esque than this does, at least in the demos I've heard - this consistently reminds me of a free VSTi, while the Ion is its own identity.

Verdict:

I'm not surprised in the least and I still look forward to trying one out before I issue a qualified statement.

• Members

Hi Rolandxr-

When I asked about a comparason of your V-Synth and SH-201, I was really thinking about just the VA section of the V-Synth. When they're set up the same do they sound the same? That kind of stuff. But what you posted was also useful.

Thanks- :)

• Members

Hi Rolandxr-

When I asked about a comparason of your V-Synth and SH-201, I was really thinking about just the VA section of the V-Synth. When they're set up the same do they sound the same? That kind of stuff. But what you posted was also useful.

Thanks-
:)

I have the 2 synths set up and some leads i set up the same for comparison and yes they react and sound the same. For some reason the D beam works better on the 201, more responsive than the V.

Rolandxr

• Members

Originally posted by Rolandxr

I have the 2 synths set up and some leads i set up the same for comparison and yes they react and sound the same. For some reason the D beam works better on the 201, more responsive than the V.

Rolandxr

Maybe you just need to calibrate the v-synth d-beams

• Members

Hi Rolandxr-

Does the SH-201 have anything in the way of additional synthesis power that the V-Synth doesn't have? Granted, the means of accessing the paramaters is different, but is there anything extra?

'Cause the wheels in my head are spinning... lessee... SH-201- $600, used V-Synth with better build quality, way more features- $900... :idea:

• Members

I went to check this thing out today. The D-beam was stuck on pitch control with a keyboard above it so it was stuck on playing one note when you hit the keys. :p I always wonder with these D-beams how many people come in to play Roland synths and can't get it to work. :D Because of the D-beam. Happened to me before :p so it makes me wonder. We should all know by now that newer Roland synths are going to have the D-beam on them.

Anyways, I checked out the SH201. Not bad. That's about what I think of it. Like I've said before, Roland tried to repackage too many things, this one with a D-beam. Woohoo

I'm not saying it sucks, I just like to see some progress in our synth companies. $600 is a good deal though and I think that is the best part about it. I do hope that thing glows in the dark, because it is just that. Dark.

Tried out the Radias too, has some cool stuff on it. Was a lot more impressed with that. Nice looking too. It is double or so for just the rack though.

• Members
Originally posted by stikygum

Tried out the Radias too, has some cool stuff on it. Was a lot more impressed with that. Nice looking too. It is double or so for just the rack though.

Radias and SH201 are on a different planet in terms of sounds and capability (and cost if your comparing the keyboard version). I know the 201 has a bunch of useful osc modes, but the huge variety of clean and utterly filthy sounds you can get *just* using osc1 alone is quite staggering - thts before you even think of missing with filters, mod seqquencers, fx etc.

If you get a chance to have another play with one select one of the init patches, zero the level on osc 2 and just play with the osc 1 controls, maybe patch in a slow lfo to control 1 and/or control 2 - thats when you really get a clue what that thing can do :)

Cross and VPM modes are quite sick :)

• Members

Just picked up mine. :)

Such a refreshing piece of gear this is. Straight poly and to the point. Just how I like it.

Now all I really wanted is an RA Sh-201 with 6 voices but this will do nicely.

Anybody want a mint D-Station and/or a Furman AR Pro before I put them up on E-Bay?

• Members

Hi Rolandxr-

Does the SH-201 have
anything
in the way of additional synthesis power that the V-Synth doesn't have? Granted, the means of accessing the paramaters is different, but is there anything extra?

'Cause the wheels in my head are spinning... lessee... SH-201- $600, used V-Synth with better build quality, way more features- $900...
:idea:

No the V synth has much more than the 201 when it comes to tone shaping, for 300.00 more get the V synth you wont be sorry. To compare the 2 engines is really not fair to the 201, because there is so much more to the V synth. I think in a way the 201 is a stripped down V synth, i really do.

Rolandxr

Archived