H.B.E trebleboosters?

math2014

• Members

You need to have your amp set for some break up. Not a dirty sound, but not clean either. The amp alone should sound bloated and not very well balanced for the treble booster to sound it's best work.

If your amp is anything like my AC30, crank your clean channel (and as suggested all the eq knobs) that should do it.

• Members

Originally posted by yaz75

If they are available, can't you go and try one out? You can ask questions all day on here but until you hear one live, it's not going to be easy to explain a sound. Plus if you are convinced by the discussion here, then buy one, AND HATE IT, then we're all going to have to hear about it.
:)

Sound is subjective and you're never going to fully be satisfied until you hear it, so go find one to hear. I'm not busting you balls, but that's the reality, sorry.
:cool:

Fair enough man, but i cant try one locally, so here i am posing questions. I can get one in the UK, but this means travelling expenses and 1 day lost from working. So i am trying to make sure that it is worth doing so before i commit.

So the more info i can get on if a treblebooster is the way to capture the above tone i described the better for me.

Also suggestions on Germania vs Germicide are also valuable to have in mind when i ll be in a shop trying to decide 100miles from home and my computer.

Yannis.

Let alone, that the shop might not have a Laney LC30 there nor a Tokai LP.

• Members

I have a HBE Germacide unit #2

I use it mainly through clean channels, but I've also used through the OD channel of a my ENGL Blackmore where it also sounds fabulous . . .

If you really like treble boost as I do, I would buy the Germacide over the Germania simply because it is more versatile and so it is easy to voice it correctly for WHATEVER amp, guitar and pickup combination you are using.

I also have a BSM HS Custom and that is a great treble boost too, but the Germacide is my daily driver.

• Members

Originally posted by stratsyndrome

I have a HBE Germacide unit #2

I use it mainly through clean channels, but I've also used through the OD channel of a my ENGL Blackmore where it also sounds fabulous . . .

If you really like treble boost as I do, I would buy the Germacide over the Germania simply because it is more versatile and so it is easy to voice it correctly for WHATEVER amp, guitar and pickup combination you are using.

I also have a BSM HS Custom and that is a great treble boost too, but the Germacide is my daily driver.

Ok i will definately check the Germacide guys, i hope it will give me this Sabbath tone i am looking for on NIB and Hole in the Sky.

I hope that this is the right thing to do, and not a distortion/overdrive pedal right?

• 1 year later...

I am a very happy HBE Germania owner. It's a great pedal. :thu:

The trick to a treble booster is to run it into an amp that isn't set for CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN, but instead, run it into a tube amp that is right at the edge of breaking up when the boost pedal is bypassed. That way, when you hit the booster, you get a touch of volume increase, but more importantly, you're slamming the front end of the amp, resulting in a much more gutsy and overdriven tone.

I would NOT recommend running one into the front end of an amp set so that it is so super clean that it had tons of headroom before it started even thinking of breaking up... if you're going to do that, IMO, you're much better off with a OD, fuzz or distortion pedal.

Speaking of those other pedals, even with a boost pedal, I still think other types of dirt pedals are still useful - in addition to the boost, I have five other "dirt" pedals on my board, and all of them get used for different tones. And a booster into an OD or fuzz can open up whole new sounds you never heard out of your old dirt pedals. IMO, if you can afford to get the HBE Germania AND keep your current dirt pedals, that's the way to go.

Archived