H.B.E trebleboosters?

math2014

• Members

Hi all,

I ve been talking to a good friend, on how to make my Laney LC30 a bit more grainy on the dirty channel in order to nail Sabbath's tone on various songs like Hole in the Sky and N.I.B. , you know these grainy riffs by Iommi.

He suggested that the solution is a treblebooster/rangemaster type of pedal, such as a Germania or Germicide. Whats your take on this?

Any differences between the two pedals for the application i want to use them? Now having the pedal working like an OD boost as well would be good (so that i wouldnt have to buy an SD1/Badmonkey/Tubescreamer). I heard the clips of both pedals, both sounded nice, but the Germania sounded more like a treble-boosting pedal whereas the germicide was boosted in general.

Basically my amp has a very "clean" dirty channel, ie good definition , punch etc but without grainy-ness or fizzy-ness.

I am using a Tokai LP, i also have a fulltone soulbender (for LEdzep stuff) and a Hotplate.

Thanks a lot for the forthcoming answers

Yannis

• Members

Firstly. Why are you using a hotplate with a 30 watt amp?;)

Secondly. Treble boosters need to go into the clean channel. The tone you are trying to achive is a treble booster into a clean channel (the LC30 is perfect for this. See Sig)

Iommi and May all used clean sounds into wich they would add their treble boosters.

The Germanium treble boosters are nice, and they are definately a 'treble boost', which is EXACTLY what you want. I have many time experimented with treble boosters through and spoken to a few people who make them. Someone once advised me to dime all the tone controls (all the way to 10) on the clean channel and stick the treble boost in front. At first I wasn't sure, but I tried it and it is EXACTLY the tone you want.

However, for treble boosters to work the best, you need to have your amp cranked pretty much all the way. If you want clean tone, simply roll down the volume ;)

Personally I just use treble boosters occasionally when I'm mucking around because of the covers I'm playing and the demand to have more versatility. I am getting a friend to build me a germanium booster as we speak, maybe I'll give it another go.

I hope you find some usefull information in all of this and that it works out well for you,

Tim

• Members

Tim thanks a lot man for the ton of info.

So a Treblebooster will give me that Iommi OD tone?

So clean channel dimed... here is where the hotplate comes in man, furthermore i play at home... so the LC30 is TOO loud for my living room, so the hotplate was like the best thing for me!

By the way, between Germania and Germicide? I should ditch the idea of SD1,DS1,Badmonkey,J&H, and go for a treblebooster for Sabbath?

• Members

Originally posted by math2014

Tim thanks a lot man for the ton of info.

So a Treblebooster will give me that Iommi OD tone?

So clean channel dimed... here is where the hotplate comes in man, furthermore i play at home... so the LC30 is TOO loud for my living room, so the hotplate was like the best thing for me!

By the way, between Germania and Germicide? I should ditch the idea of SD1,DS1,Badmonkey,J&H, and go for a treblebooster for Sabbath?

You will need that hotplate more often if your're going to be playing the amp cranked and dimed w/treble boost ;)

Absolutely ditch all those other pre amp pedals. The treble booster makes your amp do the work by exciting certain frequecies- something no other pedal can do properly. You will be surprised at how saturated your amp will sound when you follow my advice from the first post.

Oh...I nearly forgot to mention. The other day I did some recording with my LC30 and I had it absolutely flat out through two quadboxes :eek: :eek: You should try it some day ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Tonemeister69

You will need that hotplate more often if your're going to be playing the amp cranked and dimed w/treble boost
;)

Absolutely ditch all those other pre amp pedals. The treble booster makes your amp do the work by exciting certain frequecies- something no other pedal can do properly. You will be surprised at how saturated your amp will sound when you follow my advice from the first post.

Oh...I nearly forgot to mention. The other day I did some recording with my LC30 and I had it absolutely flat out through two quadboxes
:eek:
:eek: You should try it some day
;)

Well i only have a Soulbender for fuzz stuff (Zep, Cream), now 4x12 and LC30? right... i ll bring the house down if i do this, and i am a tenant so...

BTW, how does the treblebooster work with the dirty channel on the LC30?

Another thing i found on the LC30 is that it doesn like MV dimed when the gain is Dimed on the dirty channel, it is buzz/rattle/fizzy city there....

• Members

Well i only have a Soulbender for fuzz stuff (Zep, Cream), now 4x12 and LC30? right... i ll bring the house down if i do this, and i am a tenant so...

BTW, how does the treblebooster work with the dirty channel on the LC30?

Another thing i found on the LC30 is that it doesn like MV dimed when the gain is Dimed on the dirty channel, it is buzz/rattle/fizzy city there....

+1

I don't even use the dirty channel. My main set up is the clean channel with a tubescreamer for crunch and a modded DS1 on top for lead sounds.

the treblebooster will sound quite awfull in the dirty channel, or with any sort of pre amp gain (wether its from pedals or the amp itself).

I would stick to using the clean channel as it is a lot quiter and loves pedals. Some pros I know actually just use clean amps with treble boosters and nothing else, but those guys usually have crazy in and out of phase, series and parrallel wiring on in their guitars. Its all a little technical for me so I just stick to using many pedals and playing around with my tone controls less and less.

• Members

+1

I don't even use the dirty channel. My main set up is the clean channel with a tubescreamer for crunch and a modded DS1 on top for lead sounds.

the treblebooster will sound quite awfull in the dirty channel, or with any sort of pre amp gain (wether its from pedals or the amp itself).

I would stick to using the clean channel as it is a lot quiter and loves pedals. Some pros I know actually just use clean amps with treble boosters and
nothing
else, but those guys usually have crazy in and out of phase, series and parrallel wiring on in their guitars. Its all a little technical for me so I just stick to using many pedals and playing around with my tone controls less and less.

+1 meaning you got the same issue on the dirty channel with high gain and high MV?

I am tempted to get a Germania now... at 80GBP is not a bad price. Should i take the Germania or the Germicide?

• Members

+1 meaning you got the same issue on the dirty channel with high gain and high MV?

Yep

With treble boosters its allways a good idea to go for the smoothest one, especially with a bright amp like the LC30

edit: the reason being, things can get a little scratchy otherwise ;)

• Members

Yep

With treble boosters its allways a good idea to go for the smoothest one, especially with a bright amp like the LC30

edit: the reason being, things can get a little scratchy otherwise
;)

Thanks tim, so germania over germicide right?

• Members

Just jumping in on this because I owned the Germacide for a while. It's the better of the two by far, the 5-way diode selector itself is like having 5 different boosters in one pedal. Far more tweakable than the one-knob Germania, but also more expensive. I used mine as a solo boost after my Power Screamer.

• Members

Treble boosters need to go into the clean channel. The tone you are trying to achive is a treble booster into a clean channel (the LC30 is perfect for this. See Sig)

Iommi and May all used clean sounds into wich they would add their treble boosters.

I respectfully disagree.

• Members

I disagree a bit myself. Those amps were usually pretty pumping.....and I assume the Laney 30 has a decent ability to break up. A treble booster through a clean channel like a Fender Twin...OUCH!!! :freak:

I would definitely take Flying V's advice regarding the germicide vs. the germania. I have no idea what the germicide is to be honest, but I have played the germania (assuming that's the HBE trebleboost) and it sounded fantastic. I A/B'd it against a Time Machine treble boost, and it sounded more like the TMB 1973 version. It was much darker though. Had a midrange growl to it that the TMB lacked. I'm not sure which I preferred to be honest. Since I only used the TMB for the treble boost side though and given the prices, I would probably have gone HBE.

I'm particularly interested in finding out how the Addrock treblebooster sounds.

I love trebleboosters but I hate how loud you have to get your amp to get "that sound" out of them so GOOD THING YOU HAVE A HOTPLATE! :D

btw..if you're in the market for a trebleboost DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF TEAHEAD'S CLIPS!! You'll be shelling out java boost cash. :(

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

btw..if you're in the market for a trebleboost DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY OF TEAHEAD'S CLIPS!! You'll be shelling out java boost cash.
:(

Originally posted by Teahead

I have a few clips of the Analogman Beano Boost & Keeley Java Boost, between a Les Paul & a cranked AC30, in my sig. Both are great rangemaster clones.
:thu:

I also have my Java on ebay uk, link in sig.
;)

DAMMIT!! TOO LATE!! :(

• Members

First of all, thanks a lot for the numerous replies guys i appreciate!

Now, i want Iommi's tone at N.I.B , Hole in the sky, etc etc, do i want a treblebooster type pedal for my Laney or something different?

If i need a treble booster for that, should i go Germania or the more complicated and expensive Germicide? Sorry i got mixed up a bit here as to which one is more suitable.

Also, should i use it on the clean channel or the dirty channel of my Laney?

I stick to HBE for one reason, they are available in the UK, for a similar price to the USA prices, so it is a fair deal for me.

I look forward to your replies.

• Members

First of all, thanks a lot for the numerous replies guys i appreciate!

Now, i want Iommi's tone at N.I.B , Hole in the sky, etc etc, do i want a treblebooster type pedal for my Laney or something different?

If i need a treble booster for that, should i go Germania or the more complicated and expensive Germicide? Sorry i got mixed up a bit here as to which one is more suitable.

Also, should i use it on the clean channel or the dirty channel of my Laney?

I stick to HBE for one reason, they are available in the UK, for a similar price to the USA prices, so it is a fair deal for me.

I look forward to your replies.

If they are available, can't you go and try one out? You can ask questions all day on here but until you hear one live, it's not going to be easy to explain a sound. Plus if you are convinced by the discussion here, then buy one, AND HATE IT, then we're all going to have to hear about it. :)

Sound is subjective and you're never going to fully be satisfied until you hear it, so go find one to hear. I'm not busting you balls, but that's the reality, sorry.:cool:

Archived