What is this chord?

blaghaus

• Members
Originally posted by auditorium

Mmm, altered dominant. And who said Melodic Minor had no uses outside of a Joni Mitchell song?

Really? A dominant doesn't need a root? I'm used to leaving out the 5th, but having just the third fifth and flat seven, that would give you a IImajb5...(E G Bb in C) 'Cause in C, you'd need a Bb for a dominant chord, at least where I come from.

You could take CEGA(D) and call it Cmaj6(9), but without Bb, there is no dominant function- no tritone between third and seventh. In fact, just looking for a tritone does not qualify a chord as dominant- C-7b5 and Cdim7 both providing a pair of diminished fifths, and they are not dominant (though it can have dominant function).

I'd go so far as to say a better intrepretation of the chord in question is A-7/D (ACEG over D; wasn't that easy?).

Oh yea no Bb :eek: sorry im trying to do too many things at once and im getting distracted by the sausage troll

You

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

You're gonna have to figure out the rest for yourself. But I wouldn't trust you if I were you, because you get stuff all mixed up all the time and you might tell you something wrong.

Makes mental note not to ever cross GBM about the squiggly lines on the funny paper. :evil:

• Members

I made my decision, and I stand by it. All you will learn from me is how to spell fourth.

You're gonna have to figure out the rest for yourself. But I wouldn't trust you if I were you, because you get stuff all mixed up all the time and you might tell you something wrong.

your right:freak:

:D:p

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

well, just in case someone was going to award me the duke ship of hairsplitting w/o checking the facts, I was totally wrong. GODDAMMIT. You win this time Ginboonmiller. This time.

I'm a hair-splitting pirate. Yar.

But you get serious props for the Wagner ephemera. Don't let your legend die just yet.

• Members

I'm a hair-splitting pirate. Yar.

But you get serious props for the Wagner ephemera. Don't let your legend die just yet.

I was obsessed with Wagner for awhile...some of his critical/philosophical writing is phenomenal. Better, I think, than Baudelaire's. I've actually sat through all his major works (though I've only seen tristan and parsifal performed live). The breadth of his genius is {censored}ing mindblowing.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I think that's incorrect.

There's a B in this chord. An Eb11 would have a Bb as the fifth. I know you said there's no fifth in the chord, but that doesn't explain where the B comes from.

Besides. Dominant 11 chords are a rare breed. I'm not saying they don't exist, but for all intensive purposes they don't really exist. I think being that the 11th is the fourth and the conflict of it being in there with the third, etc.

More often we see min11 and Maj11 and #11 type chords.

I'm not reading through all of the responses to see who commented on this, but you're right - he's incorrect. But you're wrong about why. In Eb minor, that "B" would be a Cb, the sixth pitch in the scale. But, looking at this chord from the Eb minor perspective, you've got 2, 6, 1, and 4 from the bass up, making this a ii

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

I was obsessed with Wagner for awhile...some of his critical/philosophical writing is phenomenal. Better, I think, than Baudelaire's. I've actually sat through all his major works (though I've only seen tristan and parsifal performed live). The breadth of his genius is {censored}ing mindblowing.

Every time I meet someone that has been obsessed with Wagner, I become grateful that I was obsessed with Alban Berg.

So, if you were so into Wagner -- who was the one that Nietzche decided was the true great composer when he rejected Wagner, do you remember? I think it was Bizet or someone equally unremarkable. I just remember Nietzche going all crazy about his sweetness and light.

• Members

Every time I meet someone that has been obsessed with Wagner, I become grateful that I was obsessed with Alban Berg.

So, if you were so into Wagner -- who was the one that Nietzche decided was the true great composer when he rejected Wagner, do you remember? I think it was Bizet or someone equally unremarkable. I just remember Nietzche going all crazy about his sweetness and light.

Are you pegging me as "the typical wagnerian" that you're glad you have not become? I hope not, that would hurt my feelings.

I know that Nietzsche talks favorably about Mozart. I haven't read Nietzsche's stuff on Wagner since I started "getting" Nietzsche, so I'm very fuzzy on the subject.

Now tell me about Berg. Wagner was perfect for me, because I don't know {censored} about music. Can people w/ zero thoery appreciate Berg's writing? I've heard some of his music, perhaps I should hear some more (I got some mp3's from (former?) forumite 80k--who is also a berg freak).

Archived