What is this chord?

blaghaus

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by riffdaddy

Classical musicians would refer to this as a half-diminished chord. Jazz players refer to it as a m7b5.

Its a nice chord in that I love chords that are ambiguous until the next chord relases the tension or whatever. That crazy chord I came up with in the last what is this chord thread was like that.

• Members

Originally posted by GlassCrasher

Eb11 no fifth

Sure. Plenty of other names, too. The magic of the context that Wagner put it in is that theory geeks are STILL arguing about what chord it is. It all depends on how you resolve the chord, or if you resolve the chord at all, which Wagner only sort of did. Lots of folks point to this moment as the beginning of atonality. Debatable, but really cool.

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Sure. Plenty of other names, too. The magic of the context that Wagner put it in is that theory geeks are STILL arguing about what chord it is. It all depends on how you resolve the chord, or if you resolve the chord at all, which Wagner only sort of did. Lots of folks point to this moment as the beginning of atonality. Debatable, but really cool.

I knew you would like it.

The way wagner uses it is really cool. Pardon my inability to use proper terms, but the chord bursts in and is sustained making it very tense and suprising. It reminds me a Herrman film score, if you can see what I mean. Like a jarring juxtaposition of notes that is only half released.

I'll go back to major chords now.

• Members

Originally posted by GlassCrasher

Eb11 no fifth

I think that's incorrect.

There's a B in this chord. An Eb11 would have a Bb as the fifth. I know you said there's no fifth in the chord, but that doesn't explain where the B comes from.

Besides. Dominant 11 chords are a rare breed. I'm not saying they don't exist, but for all intensive purposes they don't really exist. I think being that the 11th is the fourth and the conflict of it being in there with the third, etc.

More often we see min11 and Maj11 and #11 type chords.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I think that's incorrect.

There's a B in this chord. An Eb11 would have a Bb as the fifth. I know you said there's no fifth in the chord, but that doesn't explain where the B comes from.

Besides. Dominant 11 chords are a rare breed. I'm not saying they don't exist, but for all intensive purposes they don't really exist. I think being that the 11th is the fourth and the conflict of it being in there with the third, etc.

More often we see min11 and Maj11 and #11 type chords.

Wheres dat popcorn smilie at?

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

The way wagner uses it is really cool. Pardon my inability to use proper terms, but the chord bursts in and is sustained making it very tense and suprising. It reminds me a Herrman film score, if you can see what I mean. Like a jarring juxtaposition of notes that is only half released.

Oh, it's even cooler than that! Imagine for a second -- you're all dressed up for the opera. It's Wagner's latest, and he's been around for a while, so you think you know what you're getting into. And you relieve yourself, finish your last smoke, and settle in for four+ hours of sonic pummelling. And the lights go out, and the orchestra pit lights come up, and you get -- seven notes, one chord, long silences on either end, and you still have no {censored}ing clue what key you're in. It's brilliant.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Dominant 11 chords are a rare breed. I'm not saying they don't exist, but for all intensive purposes they don't really exist.

I think that is also incorrect- you meant "intents and purposes" not "intesive purposes". :D

I'd weigh in on the chord itself, but I have nothing to contribute theoretically that wouldn't just make a bigger mess of things (having finished my Jazz Harmony classes, and currently taking Trad Harm 2 [baroque through romantic], I see a half diminished/minor7b5 chord and beging to tear up a little bit...though the II-7b5 is one hell of a mode mixture chord).

• Members

Originally posted by ginnboonmiller

Oh, it's even cooler than that! Imagine for a second -- you're all dressed up for the opera. It's Wagner's latest, and he's been around for a while, so you think you know what you're getting into. And you relieve yourself, finish your last smoke, and settle in for four+ hours of sonic pummelling. And the lights go out, and the orchestra pit lights come up, and you get -- seven notes, one chord, long silences on either end, and you still have no {censored}ing clue what key you're in. It's brilliant.

Wow, explain it like that and I might have to learn to read music and study the {censored} out of it.

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

Wow, explain it like that and I might have to learn to read music and study the {censored} out of it.

yea, i defer to GBM's expertise/experience, but i think i actually have a frame of reference for most of the things he discusses...going down the same sort of road, so to speak. is this a bad sign? i'm never gonna make more than $10/hr again, will i?

• Members

Originally posted by auditorium

yea, i defer to GBM's expertise/experience, but i think i actually have a frame of reference for most of the things he discusses...going down the same sort of road, so to speak. is this a bad sign? i'm never gonna make more than $10/hr again, will i?

Well, I'll learn while I work as a town planner on $25+ an hour.:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by auditorium

For what it's worth, Thelonius has hardcore harmony chops, too. I guess there's always government jobs... :D

• Members

Originally posted by exploradorable

NO! ITS A Db2! TAKE THE TOP THREE STRINGS OF A REGULAR D CHORD AND SCOOTE IT DOWN A HALF STEP. NOW ITS A Db. NOW ADD THE Eb LOW NOTE. THAT IS THE SECOND NOTE IN A Db SCALE
CLEARLY MAKING THE CHORD A Db2.
DON'T YOU SEE IT? DON'T YOU SEE?
(curls up in fetal posoition)

Aren't "2" chords incorrect by formal music conventions?

Archived