Do you find air guitarsts as annoying as I do?

jcn37203

• Members

they have world champion ships every year in oulu finnland, and the finns take it really seriously :thu:

especially with the amount you have to drink when your not playing.

i think its fun, a good laughter, let them if they want to...

...real guitar wankers are even worse :D

• Members

i came to "real" guitar relatively late in life. i grew up thinking actual guitar was simply beyond me. I think that kids' relationship to guitar is one thing that is different nowadays: you have a lot more kids who simply will take a shot at it and who believe they can do it. in my day (high school grad 79) the number of players was relatively small and they tended to be quite good -- technique was the premium. this was before punk wahsed up in any big way on us shores. and the garage thing of 65-66 had faded pretty much by then...

so i was among the many who bought records and revered guitarists, but who more or less counted myself out before the game even began. I wasn't a musician, hadn't taken piano lessons...never had a trumper or a clarinet or any of that stuff...which was all part of the profile of the guys who actually played. they had to earn their way there.

anyway, yeah, this is a long series of excuses leading up to the confession that I've probably played more air guitar than is healthy for a man or child. i still do it at shows when particulalry moved. For no particular reason that I'm aware of, I play air guitar as a lefty, real guitar as a righty. and never even think about it. it's simply the way I do it.

I don't think i try to make real chords or anything. I think the idea of these sorts of competitions is a good larf as long as the focus is not on any sort of "real-ness" in the hands. It's all about the dance. the whole body. And the deepest secret is: truely great air guitar is acheived through facial expression. A complete surrender to the music. You don't play it, it plays you.

You have to be completely humble to do it right, and most of the folks who do it are as far from this ideal as one can imagine...

so, ya, for me, real guitar and air guitar have nothing to do with one another

• Members

Originally posted by arexjay

Me too, way more fun that air guitar.

Yeah, I'm an air drummer, too. I think it must be that you try to emulate that which you cannot do in real life. Except I drive people at work nuts because my air drumming often transfers itself to drumming with pencils on my coffee mug and desk and whatever else.

• Members

Wow, an air guitarists manifesto.

Nice.

:)

Originally posted by moonhead

i came to "real" guitar relatively late in life. i grew up thinking actual guitar was simply beyond me. I think that kids' relationship to guitar is one thing that is different nowadays: you have a lot more kids who simply will take a shot at it and who believe they can do it. in my day (high school grad 79) the number of players was relatively small and they tended to be quite good -- technique was the premium. this was before punk wahsed up in any big way on us shores. and the garage thing of 65-66 had faded pretty much by then...

so i was among the many who bought records and revered guitarists, but who more or less counted myself out before the game even began. I wasn't a musician, hadn't taken piano lessons...never had a trumper or a clarinet or any of that stuff...which was all part of the profile of the guys who actually played. they had to earn their way there.

anyway, yeah, this is a long series of excuses leading up to the confession that I've probably played more air guitar than is healthy for a man or child. i still do it at shows when particulalry moved. For no particular reason that I'm aware of, I play air guitar as a lefty, real guitar as a righty. and never even think about it. it's simply the way I do it.

I don't think i try to make real chords or anything. I think the idea of these sorts of competitions is a good larf as long as the focus is not on any sort of "real-ness" in the hands. It's all about the dance. the whole body. And the deepest secret is: truely great air guitar is acheived through facial expression. A complete surrender to the music. You don't play it, it plays you.

You have to be completely humble to do it right, and most of the folks who do it are as far from this ideal as one can imagine...

so, ya, for me, real guitar and air guitar have nothing to do with one another

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Yeah, I'm an air drummer, too. I think it must be that you try to emulate that which you cannot do in real life. Except I drive people at work nuts because my air drumming often transfers itself to drumming with pencils on my coffee mug and desk and whatever else.

I have an infuriuating habbit of tapping my fingers and feet. It's totally involuntary, I'm not even aware I do it, and on more than one occassion I've had coworkers, and even perfect strangers snap and go nuts on me about it.

"STOP TAPPING YOUR FINGERS!!!!!"

Apparently it annoys some people.

• Members
Originally posted by univox5138

Jimi was known for playing "broom guitar'' when he was young. His father finally caught on and bought him a real one when he would find broom clips all over his floor.

IF JIMI CAN DO IT, SO CAN I!!!!!!!
:o

No way dude, Jimi bought a Telecaster from a pawn shop because it was on the same side of the street as a Pepsi machine. If he'd went for Coke, he would have bought an accordion.

• Members

I could never figure out why they had him buying a Telecaster when it was the one guitar he never played...the casting of the kid was perfect, though, a dead ringer for what you'd imagine he'd look like at that age.

• Members

What about pedals? Do you call them air pedalboards? Ground pedalboards seem to make more sense, since that's where they are.

What really pisses me off is when the air guitarists have to stop and tune or tweak their amps and rigs and stuff. I mean, come on, just imagine it tuned and you're there.

J

• Members

Originally posted by Jeremy Skrenes

What really pisses me off is when the air guitarists have to stop and tune or tweak their amps and rigs and stuff. I mean, come on, just imagine it tuned and you're there.

Yeah, what kind of {censored}ty air-equipment do these people have?

Mine has locking tuners and stays in tune really well. I sometimes have to re-tune after a night of heavy drinking, but that's about it.

• Members

air guitar doesnt really bother me, what does is all the kids in my school who play guitar for 2 months and maybe take 2 or 3 lessons and learn like 2 green day songs. Then they quit but whenever their around some chicks and a guitar all the sudden they think their some kind of amazing guitarists and they rip out their two songs they know over and over to try and impress people. Or they just try to casualy mention it like yea, im a guitarist (dont you wanna {censored} me??)

Archived