James Williamson of the Stooges

Robin Guthrie of Cocteau Twins

Kevin Shields of MBV

Billy Corgan

runners up:

Pete Townshend

David Gilmour

The Edge

i just picked up a cocteau twins disc--their 1st one i think. guthrie's playing is indeed quite rich. no doubt a master of textures.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

Yeah, I really should've added all three as a collective to my list. Funnily enough, though, their guitar-playing, as huge as it is, has never been as influential on me as their songs have.

Yeah... it's not so much the guitar playing itself as what they do TO the guitars, and how they arrange them... but the fact they are all involved with arranging and {censored}ing things up instead of having some producer do the knob twiddling, in my mind, makes them all great guitarists. :')

devi-

• Members

Originally posted by Devi Ever

Yeah... it's not so much the guitar playing itself as what they do TO the guitars, and how they arrange them... but the fact they are all involved with arranging and {censored}ing things up instead of having some producer do the knob twiddling, in my mind, makes them all great guitarists. :')

devi-

Oh yeah. And I've always adored the fact that they're not afraid to just use whatever the hell they want to, be it old {censored}ty computers or xylophones or the Ondes Martenot or whatever. They're such great guitarists because they don't pinhole themselves AS guitarists.

• Members

The top of me drunken head present my favorite 5 guitarists as of right. . . .

now:

Thalia Zedek & Chris Brokaw (Come)

Justin Trosper (Unwound)

Jimi Hendrix (Jimi James & the Blue Flames, the Experience)

Reine Fiske (Dungen)

the Speed Guru (Acid Mothers Temple)

Archived