Ot: Sad

blaghaus

• Members

I'm pretty sure I have seasonal affective disorder. As soon as the beginning of autumn starts I can't get out of bed. I'm not the kind to get depressed (I have been lately, but thats as much to do with not smoking as anything else), but I do get VERY lethargic.

Its been quite grey here for the last month, so this + the non-smoking= very bad symptoms. I've missed most of the last 4 weeks of uni, just because I can't be bothered. Its a bit embarrasing because you don't do things for no reason, if you catch my drift.

Anyway, anyone else suffer? What do you do to combat your autumn/winter blues?

• Members

Get as much sunlight as possible. There are also ways to treat it with artificial light. You can go to your dr and they can set you up with this sort of tanning bed-type device that blasts your body and brain with a certain type of (safe) UV light that helps your brain get over some of the depression associated with seasonal affective disorder.

Bottom line is that it's highly treatable, so no need to suffer. Talk to your doctor asap.

• Members

Ugh. Sounds like depression to me. I can't afford no shrink, but everything I've ever read myself indicates that I am depressive myself. Not seasonally, though... all the time.

I've found that if I remind myself that I'm depressed and that it's chemicals in my brain making me sit here, I can start doing stuff. I have to force it and I really don't want to, but once I get started it's usually not a problem to keep going.

But if it's lack of sunligt that's doing it, you can get sun-lamps and hang out in them for a while when you wake up and a couple hours before you go to bed. Apparently, it works wonders.

• Members

I love season changes.

All of them.

I want it to rain like hell in spring, cover my yard in leaves in the fall, freeze my ass in winter, and blind me with sunshine in summer.

The Earth is spinning and flying through space... awesome.

• Members

Mild depression runs in my family and the weather/sunlight definitely affects my moods and general outlook. What I do is try to get outside and active in some way. It doesn't need to be strenuous, but simply going for a walk several times each week can do a great deal toward keeping depression at bay. I've never tried the lights, but it might be a good idea to look into. Meds can be helpful, but there are many side-effects and I really don't feel like fooling with my libido. (My wife might not like it as well.) Like Mr. Twang said, see a doctor, but if you have reservations about meds, ask for other alternative treatments.

• Members

Its ironic because I love winter. LOVE IT. I love the cold and I love the snow. Its the lack of light that gets me.

This years symptoms are very early. I'd say about a month early.

I'll speak to my doctor about it. Hes a prick though.

• Members

Originally posted by elctmist

Yeah, I definitely suffered from this in England. I say move if you can.

funnily enough, when I lived in Toronto, while it was very cold, it was generally a lot brighter and less overcast than here. So I was in great form.

• Members

I don't know about the rest of the country, but for the past few years in the NY area, it seems like we only get summer and winter. It's either been brutally hot or freezing cold with a ton of snow. No more fall and spring. It was really warm here until a couple weeks ago, and now it's freezing already. It will likely be this way through May, and then it will be blistering hot again. I love fall and spring, and now we're getting cheated out of the two best seasons. Sucks. :mad:

• Members
Originally posted by Mr. Twang

I don't know about the rest of the country, but for the past few years in the NY area, it seems like we only get summer and winter. It's either been brutally hot or freezing cold with a ton of snow. No more fall and spring. It was really warm here until a couple weeks ago, and now it's freezing already. It will likely be this way through May, and then it will be blistering hot again. I love fall and spring, and now we're getting cheated out of the two best seasons. Sucks.
:mad:

God is trying to tell people to leave the city.

• Members

I don't know about the rest of the country, but for the past few years in the NY area, it seems like we only get summer and winter. It's either been brutally hot or freezing cold with a ton of snow. No more fall and spring. It was really warm here until a couple weeks ago, and now it's freezing already. It will likely be this way through May, and then it will be blistering hot again. I love fall and spring, and now we're getting cheated out of the two best seasons. Sucks.
:mad:

well hey.. your vote amounted to something after all ;)

• Members

Sorry to hear it, Bro. Just get out and get into the {censored}ing sun whenever you get the chance. If you look directly at the sun (for a few seconds) within one hour of sunrise or sunset, the light will be filtered enough so as not to (permanently... ;P) damage your retinas. But since it's probably cloudy and/or overcast, just get as much sunlight as you possibly can whenever you can. Google sun gazing

• Members

Originally posted by skr3ddy

Sorry to hear it, Bro. Just get out and get into the {censored}ing sun whenever you get the chance. If you look directly at the sun (for a few seconds) within one hour of sunrise or sunset, the light will be filtered enough so as not to (permanently... ;P) damage your retinas. But since it's probably cloudy and/or overcast, just get as much sunlight as you possibly can whenever you can. Google

I hear theres a lot of lithium in the suns rays at that time of day/night.

• Members

Seriously, though, October, historically speaking, has been a blurry miserable memory for me. I usually wake up one morning and realize I have been in a rut and it is now Halloween. Not this time, though. Nope... I have been blasting myself with artificial sunlight between 5 and 6 pm every afternoon. Sometimes a bit longer. It helps bigtime...

• Members

Originally posted by blaghaus

I've just said to my mum that I think I have SAD and she said, yeah I've thought so for a long time. Cheers mum.

also, the price of the light therapy stuff is extortionate.

Do they sell those full-spectrum lightbulb thingys where you live? Their a bit more expensive than regular lightbulbs, but I find it works pretty well.

• Members

Originally posted by ColorsoundKid

Seriously, though, October, historically speaking, has been a blurry miserable memory for me. I usually wake up one morning and realize I have been in a rut and it is now Halloween. Not this time, though. Nope... I have been blasting myself with artificial sunlight between 5 and 6 pm every afternoon. Sometimes a bit longer. It helps bigtime...

how much was that gadget? some of them I've seen over here are a bit pricey. I'll see if my doctor can do something about that.

• Members

Get as much sunlight as possible. There are also ways to treat it with artificial light. You can go to your dr and they can set you up with this sort of tanning bed-type device that blasts your body and brain with a certain type of (safe) UV light that helps your brain get over some of the depression associated with seasonal affective disorder.

Bottom line is that it's highly treatable, so no need to suffer. Talk to your doctor asap.

+1 for what Twang's talking about - the symptoms are very real for many people, yet they can be helped with something as simple as a certain type of lamp for an hour a day.

it's a very cost-effective treatment, and involves no pills that can play havok on your system.

look into it.

Archived