Where are the delay pedals from some of our favorite boutique builders?

Chriss

• Members

Originally posted by Chriss

Zvex, Kimsuzzie, Keeley...

Zvex isn't going to do delays. Keeley's is coming out soon.

Are you in the market for a boutique delay? Because there are some great ones out there already...

Howard Davis modded DMM

Toadworks Redux

SPF I-5

Diamond Memory Lane

Toneczar Echo Czar

Blackbox Quicksilver

Atomic Echo Clone

I'm not sure why it needs to have the zvex name on it to be worthy of buying...

And another thing...people are always complaining that there isn't a boutique version of a particular pedal, but then they complain about the price when one does come along.

The Diamond Memory Lane is a perfect example...it has all the features everyone wanted, including tap tempo, control of both depth and rate on the modulation side, analog with 500ms of delay time, effects loop, tone rolloff...

But when it came out, people were like "Oh, I'd definitely buy it if it was under $300." Well, then just get the DL-4.

There are so many mass-produced delays that are excellent...I'm not sure why we need another plain vanilla delay just because it has a particular boutique maker's signature on it. If it does something interesting...well, then that's a different story.

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Z

The Diamond Memory Lane is a perfect example...it has all the features everyone wanted, including tap tempo, control of both depth and rate on the modulation side, analog with 500ms of delay time, effects loop, tone rolloff...

But when it came out, people were like "Oh, I'd definitely buy it if it was under $300." Well, then just get the DL-4.

I very much agree...this happens quite often on the forum.,..people list all the features they'd want, and when the pedal comes out, they're like "it's too expensive"

I mean, I dunno how much these pedals would have to be...5 dollars or something???

:confused:

• Members

Originally posted by zhivago

I very much agree...this happens quite often on the forum.,..people list all the features they'd want, and when the pedal comes out, they're like "it's too expensive"

I mean, I dunno how much these pedals would have to be...5 dollars or something???

:confused:

polling a bunch of teenage bedroom-warriors is hardly sound market-research...

:freak:;)

• Members

The Echotap is very subtle. You plug it in and IMHO there's no 'wow factor'. It does what it does efficiently. The filter darkens the repeats to the point whenre they are muddy so I barely have it on. The preset v tap tempo means you can select say slap back and switch to beat synched delays. You can alter the delays at will, either back to the slapback or a different temp (try hitting 1 and 4).

So having said it's not that impressive, you realise that you have not turned it off for 30-45 minutes and it wasnt wearing.

With my EH DMM I go WOW!!!! modulated scrummyness, adjust the delay time on the fly and then switch it off.

The echo tap is a very useful pedal and along with a good overdrive on my must have on the board list.

• Members
Originally posted by CS

The Echotap is very subtle. You plug it in and IMHO there's no 'wow factor'.

The Wow factor is the tone which is much better than the dd-20 imo.

The filter darkens the repeats to the point whenre they are muddy so I barely have it on.

I use it with a Univalve (rather bright) so I find the filter very usefull to get that old school tape feel and I can get the perfect note deteriotion corresponding with the delay counts

So having said it's not that impressive, you realise that you have not turned it off for 30-45 minutes and it wasnt wearing.

Yep, like an old tube tape delay. It doesn't do the wacky {censored} but sounds very good for old school delay sounds from Floyd to Rockabilly

• 2 years later...

Archived