Hot Wire Audio FA-1 Clone

Idlewilde

• Members

Originally posted by preservation

how much are those things?

my internet doesn't work.

depends on how close to the original you want it.

Idlewidle's is fully original-clone (exact parts, exact values), but with an added footswitch. $175.

Without the footswitch $160.

And the version that has the lay-out like the first pic he posted (with the knobs in a triangle) $150 (it's way easier to make and requires a {censored}load less measuring), ofcourse painted and all that jazz.

• Members

thanks!

I'm quite the finnicky guy for details, so I spent quite a few hours to get the same type of screws as the ones in the original, to hold the slide switch!

Also, the wires to the PCB are 'rainbow-ordered' like in the original.

Here's a pic of my clone's PCB and the original one.

You'll notice 1 different component, the 0.47uF non polar electrolytic (the white cilinder in the original, and the small blue bulb in my clone's pcb). This part has so far been impossible to obtain. And believe me, I *searched*! :eek::cry:

Oh, and the one that Idlewidle posted can't hold a battery (yet).

I'm working on a possible redesign of the PCB for a future smaller version, but ofcourse that make it less 'true' to the original.

Right now, even the PCB's lay-out for the components is 100% original (I only shortened some tracks below, and near the connections of the jacks, because otherwise it just wouldn't fit).

The problem was that the original FA-1's enclosure is about 0.1" bigger in all dimensions than the 1590B's I use, and this turned out to be a VERY important difference. :(

Nevertheless, one would have to do some serious work to make his/her FA-1 clone closer to the original than mine.

All the text stuff is also the EXACT size of the original, exact

placement, etc. etc. :cool:

Originally posted by gregovertone

:)

sweet=== when can us common folks place orders??

drop me a PM.

I got some more enclosures on the way next week.

Also, my 'prototype' is actually for sale. $130, but this uses metalfilm resistors and WIMA metalized polyfilm caps. (still with the original op-amps and FET).

• Members

HWA pedals are fantastic

I can't wait to get my Mig*Boost back

(sent it back for an overhaul after years of abuse)

I must say, Speeddemon has an excellent service as well, he's the Robert Keeley of the Lowlands (I hope he takes that as a compliment)

• Members

Originally posted by bieke

HWA pedals are fantastic

I can't wait to get my Mig*Boost back

(sent it back for an overhaul after years of abuse)

I must say, Speeddemon has an excellent service as well, he's the Robert Keeley of the Lowlands (I hope he takes that as a compliment)

thanks!

I always love returning customers. :)

I'm currently focussing on expanding the line with a overdrive/distortion, and a natural overdrive, and maybe... MAYBE...even a fuzz! :eek:

(Cartman voice: I hate those friggin' things!)

Also, if I ever manage to find out how easy or hard it is to clone the MXR Micro Flanger, that will be on my wishlist too. It's a really versatile and underrated pedal, that can do both an excellent vibrato and the classic jet-flanging.

• Members

Yup, dealing with Mike was bliss!

Also, it looks like I'm gonna end up with your book too! :)

Me and Tom are currently setting up a trade+cash.

Just to clarify here,

by making my FA-1 clones I NEVER had the intention to 'steal anyone's thunder' (the other FA-1 cloners).

I bought the FA-1 locally, just to see if it lived up to the hype. Well, it did and I really found it a versatile boost.

Especially, since I discovered that the best way to get a solid TIGHT high gain sound, is by boosting a bit thin sounding, slightly overdriven boost in a medium gain distorting pedal or amp.

And with the low cut switch, the FA-1 was perfectly suited.

So I decided to build one for myself, as exact as possible, and so doing, it dawned to me that it would be interesting to build more, if I could get ALL the original parts. And given that an original FA-1 in decent condition easily sells for over $250-300, getting the exact same done for (almost) half the price was a target too.

I got the parts to build about 10 exact (NOS) parts clones, but I might be able to squeeze out another 10 after that.

After getting enough op-amps, my new task is to find the 'GR' type FETs. Sure I can buy 3000 in a bag for $350, but that's a bit overkill. Right now I have only 2 left and Mike got the last remaining 3 I managed to find.

I will ofcourse experiment with compatible types, like the J201, MF201, etc, for the modern-parts clones.

Mike, do you got any experience with swapping those and if it matters for the sound?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I played that very pedal at Gerards (gvees) place; NICE work speeddemon!!

We took it to a gig the next morning and it sounded very much like the edge himself was standing next to me :-) (with a little help of the memory lane actually) With the treble knob far open, it gives a stratocaster that silvery thin but bell-like highs that you can hear all over the 'life in chicago' DVD of U2 whenever the Edge plays one of his strats. The fet ampclone can be dialed in as a bassbooster, treblebooster and fullrange booster and it has a super huge volume boost if you want...

I liked this pedal better than the Java boost :eek:

Forgot to say this; my compliments for the building quality of the pedal, outside and inside!! Wow! If you can keep it this nice I'm sure a lot of people will be playing your pedals soon!

• Members

Originally posted by woude

I played that very pedal at Gerards (gvees) place; NICE work speeddemon!!

We took it to a gig the next morning and it sounded very much like the edge himself was standing next to me :-) (with a little help of the memory lane actually) With the treble knob far open, it gives a stratocaster that silvery thin but bell-like highs that you can hear all over the 'life in chicago' DVD of U2 whenever the Edge plays one of his strats. The fet ampclone can be dialed in as a bassbooster, treblebooster and fullrange booster and it has a super huge volume boost if you want...

I liked this pedal better than the Java boost
:eek:

Forgot to say this; my compliments for the building quality of the pedal, outside and inside!! Wow! If you can keep it this nice I'm sure a lot of people will be playing your pedals soon!

Soundfiles please!

Archived