SOT: 1st Album Purchase?

UnChained!

• Members

I was very young, and used to get records at the K&B when I was about 4. (also 1978). Those are my earliest memories anyways. So it was one of these:

ee567220eca0fae8291a1010.M.jpg

B000002TR7.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000001FG5.01._PE8_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

ronco_shining.jpg

Each of these albums have had a profound effect on me that lasts until this day. I still love them all and know the words from every song. Except some of the weird disco songs on the compilation. BUT it had some Eric Carmen, Skynyrd, and Kiss's Calling Dr. Love. That's why I'm skeptical of children's music. I see kids listening to children's music and thinking "that is NOT what I listened to at that age" and wonder if it would have made the same impact on me.

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

I was very young, and used to get records at the K&B when I was about 4. (also 1978). Those are my earliest memories anyways. So it was one of these:

ee567220eca0fae8291a1010.M.jpg

HFS! I had that on cassette. What was the song with all the evil laughing at the beginning?

Speaking of profound - I do remember my mom buying K-Tel's "Power House" & "Hit Machine" in the mid seventies.

K-Tel RAWKS! :cool:

• Members

I grew up listening to my parents' Beatles singles mix tape they'd made back in the mists of time (it has a hilarious interlude in "From Me To You" where the music cuts out, there's some feedback and then the sound of me, aged 2, singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious").

That, Graceland and Queen Greatest Hits are the sound of my childhood, but the first albums I actually wanted were:

1414175.jpg

B000025TFY.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:wave: bye credibility and respect

The first single I bought with my own money, if memory serves, was The Wannadies "Might Be Stars". Already cynical about fame at 14 :(

• Members

Originally posted by UnChained!

HFS! I had that on cassette. What was the song with all the evil laughing at the beginning?

Radioactive. Holy {censored}ing {censored} that song scared the {censored} out of me when I was a kid. That beginning part anyways. Then the Exorcist violins and chorus comes in. I had to skip that part if my parents weren't nearby because I would think the devil was coming to get me. Because I thought it was the devil laughing. Yet somehow this didn't distract me at all. Probably the opposite if anything. :D

Great song though. See that was my first Kiss record although it wasn't Kiss, and I still think it's a good one even though it doesn't get good reviews these days. I was actually a bit dissapointed by the time I heard what Kiss really sounded like LOL!

she's radioactive

(radioactive)

:cool:

• Members

Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup

GoatsHeadSoup.jpg

On 8-Track no less. I rember being 5 dancing around the house to the song Star with the chours "Your a Star{censored}er Star{censored}er Star{censored}er Star{censored}er Star" I thought they were singing about "Starbuck" from Battle Star Galacitica :freak:

Kiss Alive II

965777_KISS_Alive_II.jpg

You want the best you got the best the hottest band in the world KISS

CSN&Y So Far

sofar.gif

Saw a movie about Kent State which used the song "Ohio" - got me hooked on Neil and CSN

Billy Joel - Glass Houses

07464363841.jpg

I thought he was bad ass coz he rode a bike, wore leather and threw rocks at houses :freak:

And of course The Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack

c336411h0fx.jpg

Back in the day no 5th grade basement party was complete with out it or the Soundtrack to Grease

Goodtimes

• Members

Originally posted by Thelonius

Radioactive. Holy {censored}ing {censored} that song scared the {censored} out of me when I was a kid. That beginning part anyways. Then the Exorcist violins and chorus comes in. I had to skip that part if my parents weren't nearby because I would think the devil was coming to get me. Because I thought it was the devil laughing. Yet somehow this didn't distract me at all. Probably the opposite if anything.
:D

Great song though. See that was my first Kiss record although it wasn't Kiss, and I still think it's a good one even though it doesn't get good reviews these days. I was actually a bit dissapointed by the time I heard what Kiss really sounded like LOL!

she's radioactive

(radioactive)

:cool:

That's the one! :thu:

And yeah - scared me too!! Back in the day - KISS was total evil! Whew, pretty tame by todays standards!

• Members

Originally posted by english_bob

I grew up listening to my parents' Beatles singles mix tape they'd made back in the mists of time (it has a hilarious interlude in "From Me To You" where the music cuts out, there's some feedback and then the sound of me, aged 2, singing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious").

That, Graceland and Queen Greatest Hits are the sound of my childhood, but the first albums I actually wanted were:

1414175.jpg

B000025TFY.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

:wave:
bye credibility and respect

The first single I bought with my own money, if memory serves, was The Wannadies "Might Be Stars". Already cynical about fame at 14
:(

+1 on the Queens Greatest! My buddies from HS still swear we were the first to do the whole Waynes World thing.

• Members

onyx_album_130902.jpg

B000003TA4.01._PE29_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000002MY3.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

77065-resized200.jpg

It really blurs for me which one I bought first, to be dreadfully honest. Embarrassing, though.

Also, the first album I ever OWNED, and didn't buy for myself: DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince - Homebase

• Members

Originally posted by incubass

Bear in mind I grew up in a southern evangelical home and I'm the oldest child...

dc%20talk%20jesus%20freak.jpg

I've come so far.

That's okay. Just after getting Beach Boys and Chuck Berry tapes, these were the types of things that entered my collection:

B000005KV1.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B00000282A.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000002GJB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The Petra's not THAT embarrassing, although they sucked by that point. Their early stuff in the 70s is actually not bad sometimes. My uncle was in the earliest pre-Petra incarnations with Bob Hartman, etc. in Fort Wayne.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

The Petra's not THAT embarrassing, although they sucked by that point. Their early stuff in the 70s is actually not bad sometimes. My uncle was in the earliest pre-Petra incarnations with Bob Hartman, etc. in Fort Wayne.

Trippy.

I actually sat front row at a Petra concert at one point. My sister saw Michael W. Smith live and I was so jealous. (where's that embarassed icon?) She had all the Amy Grant albums and played them incessantly.

• Members

Originally posted by UnChained!

Star-Wars-Star-Wars-317055.jpg

Sweet...

I had the soundtrack to the original superman movie on record. My mom used to put it on the stereo system and I would "fly" around the house in my Underoos and the cape my grandma had sewn.

john_williams-superman.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by MrSage

Sweet...

I had the soundtrack to the original superman movie on record. My mom used to put it on the stereo system and I would "fly" around the house in my Underoos and the cape my grandma had sewn.

john_williams-superman.jpg

Very cool. I just got that on dvd.

• Members

Originally posted by BillyGrahamCracker

That was actually one of the first CDs I bought, too.
Girlfriend
and
Bandwagonesque
were the ones that made me get my first electric, but that cheesy instrumental that Brian does called "Last Horizon" was one of the first songs I ever figured out.

Dude, back then I was all about playing flashy rock like Brian May, Gary Moore, Satch and Vai, Extreme.... all that stuff. I thought pinched harmonics were feedback :freak:

Archived